One thing that really annoys me about religion -

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:37 am

Is people act like God actually sat down with pen in hand and wrote stuff. I feel like that misunderstanding stands between people and good mystical experiences that will bring them peace and healing and help them deal with life better.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:47 am

Sorry, not following. Please explain.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:53 am

The one thing that annoys *me* about religion is everything.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 1:13 am

Narrator wrote:
Sorry, not following. Please explain.

We got Westboro Baptist Church nearby now the Duggars, who could be counted on for being sorta calm about stuff are getting in on the same kind of preaching as Westboro only they haven't picketed yet, telling people God will send them to hell and it's all because both groups take the Bible literally and act like God is a man who sat down and wrote every word of it and we have to blindly follow all of it because it's God's actual book when it's just human's thoughts on God and godly matters.
People cannot be bullied into religion. Duggars and Westboro are all kinda close by.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 1:29 am

Being ignorant about one's own religion? Criminal.

But I don't think the narcissistic Gőd of the Old Testament is above referring to Himself in the 3rd person....

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2015, 2:53 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

But I don't think the narcissistic Gőd of the Old Testament is above referring to Himself in the 3rd person....

Why would anyone believe that the god of the old testament is not the same god of the new testament? Rewriting the bible to make it more acceptable to society is nothing more than creating excuses to behave badly.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:59 am

chagya wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

Why would anyone believe that the god of the old testament is not the same god of the new testament? Rewriting the bible to make it more acceptable to society is nothing more than creating excuses to behave badly.

Actually, does God get mentioned much in the New Testament? I seem to recall it was more about his son Jesus, a high priest and intermediary between God and Men, protecting us from the more black and white form of divine intervention against sinful man before Jesus sacrifice cleansed us in Gods eyes.

But religions like the afore mentioned Baptists teach Jesus is God himself rather than his son so they don't really take the Bible literally at all, they just use it to justify their nastiness, unaware of the damage they do to Jesus' ministry, now wonder when he returns he will say to most "Christians", "get away from me you workers of lawlessness, I never knew you".

If more Christian religions did take the Bible literally, there would be a lot less reasons for hating religion.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 7:31 am

Nambo wrote:
... If more Christian religions did take the Bible literally, there would be a lot less reasons for hating religion.
If everybody took the Bible literally, they would own slaves, keep their women from voting and driving, and seize each other's lands through genocidal wars.

In other words, literal interpretation of the Bible who make Christians indistinguishable from Moslems.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 8:04 am

Nambo wrote:
But religions like the afore mentioned Baptists teach Jesus is God himself rather than his son so they don't really take the Bible literally at all.

You would do well to do proper research before making such a claim. Almost all Christian sects believe Jesus is both God and God's son, which is backed up by scriptures in both the new and old testaments. Possibly the best known is from John:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God... And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us

As I recall, there are about 30 instances which speak of Jesus as God.

So... if you want Christians to take their scripture literally on this point, let me assure you they do.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 10:00 am

How can the Multiverse write anything? :?:

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 10:38 am

Aspiewordsmith wrote:
How can the Multiverse write anything? :?:

With it's multiversatile Parker pen. Kind of like a 4-pen but with 11 colours.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 11:50 am

What I want to know is, is it possible for the Bible to become an idol? Because it does seem like the fanatics treat it like one. It becomes their God. How is that not idol worship?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 4:21 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
What I want to know is, is it possible for the Bible to become an idol? Because it does seem like the fanatics treat it like one. It becomes their God. How is that not idol worship?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idol

Quote:
An idol is an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed or any person or thing regarded with admiration, adoration, or devotion.

What many people fail to realize is, IS THAT the three letter word GOD meets the definition of idol as written words are most definitely material images.

Perhaps that started with folks scratching imaginary lines and angles between the night starred imaginary imaged connections, and leads to Sanskrit and the alphabet in a collective effort of human being minds to create images as material written symbols for better sharing AND UNDERSTANDING the essence of TRUTH in life.

But of course the false in life can be represented, as easily, with idols of words, too.

Language is an incredible instrument of tool in humanly created symbolic images to inspire emotions of dreams that manifest in flesh and blood, and emotions of nightmares that manifest in flesh and blood, as well, sadly but truly enough.

Words are a tool, a human idol for essence of truth.

But the truth has no word alone, as it simply is nature manifest in human being.

Words are just tools that help one get to truth or falsehoods.

Discernment is the ultimate tool, innately gifted by the GOD of Nature that allows human beings to discern TRUTH, PER THE GREATEST INTELLIGENCE THAT 'lies' at the feat of human being or TELLS the TRUTH.

And yes, of course, there are mysteries of life..

For example, as to why some folks have great emotional connection to other folks and gain great happiness in emotion from these flesh and blood connections and some folks do not.

In other words the metaphor that is the human heart, soul, and spirit, and the 'evil' scribed in record of human written language, as people who do not emotionally connect to others in joy are historically and presently considered 'deviant' from the norm or the 'evil' metaphor for that essence in reality of human existence.

We have science now to explain THAT, at least in approximation.

And back THEN there is approximate wisdom recorded in a book, in written idols of images known as written language, eventually that before THAT ARE originally repeated in changing oral tradition.

The problem is when human beings start to think they own nature and or GOD.

To name something is the first step to own it.

And to name something can be to control it, with illusory fears, like THE suggestion that someone will be damned to a fire of eternity IN SUFFERING iF they change one letter of a book. Haha!.. how silly and ridiculous but totally true in effect AND AFFECT OF human being is THAT!

To share something and freely evolve one's mind for truth CAN BE to live free in peace and harmony with Nature's 'mind' aka GOD AND OTHER HUMANS TOO...

Human language is metaphor at core, as linguistics science now suggests.

Metaphors only approximate the truth and the essence of wisdom aka LIGHT, in Illuminati talk, pure and simple and metaphorical too.

There are incredible mysteries in life, per human emotional and sensory emoting higher powers that ARE HIGHER POWERS OF HUMAN NATURE GIFTED BY NATURE AS WHOLE, AKA GOD.

THESE POWERS ARE NOT CONTROLLED by VERBAL WRITTEN LANGUAGE OF IDOLS, alone.

THEY ARE CONTROLLED BY the essence of INNATE INSTINCTUAL emotional and sensory thinking that is THE TRUE CORE OF HIGHER HUMAN POTENTIAL IN INTELLIGENCE per real LIFE survival skills in mind and body balance in both grace for unconditional loving skills, as well as FIGHTING STRENGTH TO potentiAlly win at the fight of life with the development and practice of innate instinctual survival skills.

And no, this is nothing new, overall, as martial arts schools in the East have been practicing this TRUE ART OF EFFECTIVE AND AFFECTIVE HUMAN BEING FOR CENTURIES WITH obvious benefits, like the scientifically verified ability to steam heat off of icy robes in icy pools of water to the ability to control brain waves in alpha, beta, and theta way.

I can control my theta waves through the discipline of physical intelligence to the point now with THIS bio-feedback that i can control IT at the level of my conscious will, where before for decades it was only controlled through the sub-conscious autonomic nervous system process.

I for one use totally innate instinctual intuitive emotions AND SENSORY EMOTING higher human power thinking in this way to arrive at a style of dance and strength in leg pressing way, at 930LBS, that neither doctors or the general public can understand at my age of 54, with all my medically recorded physical illnesses, disorders, and disabilities cause science says it doesn't happen...

But guess WHAT, it DOES and I can PROVE THAT WITH EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE.

So science and doctors see me as mystery but I am real and flesh and blood empirically evidenced as REAL.

THIS CAN BE INCREDIBLY SIMPLE FOR FOLKS TO understand WHO can discern metaphor well to excellent.

And it can be incredibly difficult for for folks who tend to think of language in literal terms, which is a huge deficit in understanding all of human written and verbalized communication, as again, it IS ALL METAPHOR, where non-verbal language, per 60 to 90% percent of studied human language is the number one form of human and most all mammal communication, particularly social animals like human beings.

People who see this as gibberish and call me insane are simply missing something in human existence, and it is so clear to me and sad to me, and it can be so invisible to the ones who do not have the abilities associated with this kind of REAL LIFE HUMAN POTENTIAL IN OTHER INTELLIGENCES CULTIVATED AND GROWN AS SUCH IN LIFE that school currently rarely and hardly touches....

To sit still in front of a screen and rarely move a body; to sit still in front of a lecture in school desk; and not even go to physical education classes in grades 10 to 12 in high school, is an incredibly effective measure of reducing human physical intelligence in practice.

The results of this are now seen throughout society, where the broader autism phenotype continues to grow in this 'anti-social' and ANTI-NATURE OR ANTI-CHRIST FOR pantheist style Jesus metaphor, back in the gnostic text day, to grow in fuller human nature and nature in general and or GOD as metaphor for THAT in general intelligence that truly is only minority measured by the totally cultural phenomenon of written idols of language, collective intelligence, and culture in general, in all its flavors and colors, both in dreams and nightmares manifest in the human flesh and blood emotional and sensory existence, by the metaphors of idols words that do throw roadblocks against human potential and growth to simply make life amazing like one sees with the feat of nature of the other animals that develop their innate and instinctual power through the practice of life every day, in physical intelligence driving way.

Truly this is not just a religious issue per road block, it is a globally increasing problem, driven by technological machine driven life, where humans basically become play dough and jelly....

Incredibly ironic AND PERHAPS HARD TO HEAR AND 'SEE' FOR SOME FOLKS BUT IT IS TRUTH, never the LESS that can set one free in the metaphorical EXPRESSION of HEAVEN NOW.

SOME PEOPLE spend their entire life trying to get back to Human innate instinctual truths; and some make it and some do not, before they die.

Culture and religion is making this harder every day, in mechanical cognition oriented ways of living life.

So yeah, that 'eye' of 'needle' keeps growing smaller, and that 'big fat camel', cannot even fit in one 'plane seat' anymore, and never ever flies on land in mind and body balance, where human potential can AND DOES LIVE, AT LEAST FOR ME.

AN important lesson to remember that truly the teacher Jesus, as reported in the GOSPEL of Thomas, TEACHES is that NOTHING IS 'YOUR' OWN, EXCEPT 'YOUR' LIFE.

MICHAEL MURPHY, SAYS IT JUST AS WELL, with some historical references that obviously Jesus did not have access to, if he existed....OR EVER WILL, AS MYTHS OFTEN MAKE MEN IN SIGNATURE, BEFORE they truly exist.....

So in that case, the challenge is still out there, provided by Culture and religion to be 'Jesus'.

The question is,

CAN and or WILL ANYONE JUST DO IT, INSTEAD OF SITTING BACK EATING THEIR DOUGHNUTS WATCHING TV OR STARING AT A BRIGHT SCREEN FOR 4 INCHES to 60 INCHES OF LIFE.

GOD IS A GOD OF STRENGTH, INTERDEPENDENT CONNECTIONS, AND MERIT FOR EXISTING EXCELLENCE, AND OF COURSE WEAKNESS TOO, NOW, IN THE manifestation of the human being, as whole, DRIVEN BY CULTURAL ILLUSIONS, OVERALL...

But yeah, the POTENTIAL IS THERE, AND I FOR ONE CAN PROVE IT.

THE MYSTERIES go on and are solved AND RESOLVED for those who are STRONG ENOUGH AND INQUISITIVE ENOUGH TO 'JUST DO IT'.

BUT OH MY GOD THAT TAKES A TOTALLY OPEN MIND.

AND material reductionism, is a sure way TO NEVER EVER GET THERE...

AS AGAIN,

WORDS OR ELEMENTS OF WORDS THEREOF ARE ONLY IDOLS FOR TRUTH..

ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER 'DETAILS' OF LIFE.

BIG PICTURE THINKING is the only way together with detail thinking that CAN POSSIBLY GET ONE 'there'.

And only of course if one wills to want to with human relative free will, AS GOD cannot truly be anthropomorphized to suggest that God gives a crap whether humans want to make their human hell real or not.

The choice is out there.

And I choose WITH RELATIVE HUMAN FREE WILL IN PRACTICE EVERY NOW to work with GOD instead of the TRULY Anti-Christ metaphor for WORKING AGAINST HUMAN AND MOTHER NATURE TRUE GOD GIVEN NATURE.....

THE GOSPEL of Thomas IS well ahead of its time, to understand these truths to empower the innate instinctual potential of human being.

But of course, the last thing that psychopathic Roman Emperors and or Catholic leaders want, is to relinquish power over human subjects.

THE God OF NATURE EMpowers.

Human, as overall exercised now, simply makes human weaker....

And that frigging empirical evidence is ALL OVER THE PLACE in ways of close to half the population suffering with pain disorders and on some kind of pain killer; ADULTS AND CHILDREN suffering from mental illness imbalances with skyrocketing prescriptions of psychotropic drugs; and children who are obese from sitting on their butt in front of a screen approaching numbers of one third of these children assessed as type two pre-diabetic.

TRULY THE MYSTERY for many folks, wittingly or not, IS HOW TO get BACK TO BE fuller BEING HUMAN BEING.

SAME basic MYSTERY AS BEFORE IN EXTREMELY HUMAN NATURE REPRESSED JEWISH CULTURES, BACK IN THE DAY, 2K YEARS AGO OR SO..

AND OF COURSE THAT WAY OF LIFE STILL EXISTS IN THE MUSLIM WORLD, MUCH WORSE THAN HERE, with incredibly repressed and oppressed human natures, of what could be mind and body balance in the HEAVEN OF NOW, INSTEAD OF SOME DREAM OF 72 VIRGINS IN A FANTASY LAND AFTER life or whatever.

It's always been about controlling other people, per real life human suffering.

Fortunately, in the U.S. we CAN FIND THE TRUTH AND EXERCISE IT IN real life life practice to live in that metaphorical heaven of now but amazing how hard it is FOR MANY PEOPLE TO EVEN COME CLOSE to 'seeing' basic GOD given truths, as evidenced over and over for me, with the people I meet both offline and on......

Oh! and here's that cool song about the most elementary human TRUTH OF SAGES OLD AND NEW...;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 5:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I had a similar thought over 30 years ago when I argued with a pentecostal over their anal fixation on speaking in tongues, suggesting that it is very much like idolatry.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 7:18 pm

Narrator wrote:
Nambo wrote:
But religions like the afore mentioned Baptists teach Jesus is God himself rather than his son so they don't really take the Bible literally at all.

You would do well to do proper research before making such a claim. Almost all Christian sects believe Jesus is both God and God's son, which is backed up by scriptures in both the new and old testaments. Possibly the best known is from John:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God... And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us

As I recall, there are about 30 instances which speak of Jesus as God.

So... if you want Christians to take their scripture literally on this point, let me assure you they do.

Er, no, you and your trinitarians do not know scripture.
Firstly John 1v1 is ambiguous as the Greek language didn't use the "a" anywhere, hence in another scripture with the same Greek wording, an "a" is inserted otherwise it would claim all the disciples where God as well, it was up to the translators to insert an a, if they where Trinitarians they would write "God" rather than "a god".

Now here are a couple of sections that are not ambiguous, whenever I show trinitarians these they always have the same reply, the same one you chose, John 1v1, thats all they have.

Daniel 7
Vision of the Ancient of Days

9 “I watched till thrones were put in place,
And the Ancient of Days was seated;
His garment was white as snow,
And the hair of His head was like pure wool.
His throne was a fiery flame,
Its wheels a burning fire;
10 A fiery stream issued
And came forth from before Him.
A thousand thousands ministered to Him;
Ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him.
The court[b] was seated,
And the books were opened.

13 “I was watching in the night visions,
And behold, One like the Son of Man,
Coming with the clouds of heaven!
He came to the Ancient of Days,
And they brought Him near before Him.
14 Then to Him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom,
That all peoples, nations, and languages should serve Him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion,
Which shall not pass away,
And His kingdom the one
Which shall not be destroyed.

I am sure you realise the Ancient of Days here is God on his heavenly throne, and the Son of man coming on the clouds is Jesus who is brought before God who gives him a kingdom, this is why Jesus is described as a King, also a Priest as an intimidatory between God and Man, note and consider the words Priest, intermiatory and between.

Here is an even better statement that Jesus is above all except God himself who he is subservient too.

1 Corinthians 15

20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. 21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in [h]Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming, 24 then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be abolished is death. 27 For He has put all things in subjection under His feet. But when He says, “All things are put in subjection,” it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him. 28 When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

Note "then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father", after the 1000 years once Jesus has restored the creation, he gives it back to his father, God.

I will let you ponder on this line:- But when He says, “All things are put in subjection,” it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him. 28 When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him

You might be interested to see the origins of the Trinity, the way all the pagan Satanic Sun worshiping religions worship a Trinity, thats why you celebrate his birthday on the birthday of the Sun and have a fertility festival named after the fertility goddess Easter, hence the bunnies and Easter eggs.
It all goes back to Nimrod who was deified as the Sun god who killed his father, married his own mother and became his own father, his mother was deified as the fertility goddess.
Funny enough, his sign was the Cross, a T in honour of his deified name of Tammuz, if you go to the British Museum you can see stone crosses with the circle of the sun that way predate Jesus.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 7:28 pm

Nambo wrote:
Er, no, you and your trinitarians do not know scripture.

A) I am not a trinitarian. I am not even a Christian.
B) Don't know scripture? Ok, I only studied theology, focusing on Genesis and John.

But thanks for the assumptions.