When people talk about what they know very little about

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

I accidently posted what I wanted to post on this thread on different thread by accident but it itches, I want to post it here too haha so here it is:

Anyways I think people these days should seriously relax and have a cup of a hot drink and not go ahead making a big fuss like that over something like a principle or a teacher saying something to their kids, like what is even wrong with you just go talk with the person who said something to your kid if you don't like it, they just said something to them, they didn't cut off a body part from your kid lol. How I hear those days people suing teachers for only shouting at their kids makes me laugh, people would seize that opportunity for suing which is obviously being for their own stupid benefits lol.
I also think if teachers or someone didn't tell something to kids doing useless things like that kids will turn out too spoiled and dumb like so many people those days, jeez, like let there be some rules at least so that people would learn and have some sense of responsibility. Rules are really essential.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 3:44 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
It's entertainment.

I remember when my cousin's friends were on Rickie Lake, made up a boyfriend/girlfriend cheating skit, had different other people planted out in the audience as part of the gag, and it turned out that four out of five couples were making it all up as a lucrative prank.

Viewer count means advertising dollars. If enough people were willed to watch a singing/dancing ice cream bar make lewd jokes about dairy for an hour it would push out something else that's either less entertaining or more intelligent - definitely would extinguish the later hands down.

I learned the hard way - I don't own the herd, I'm not responsible for their behaviors, in fact I'm a bit of a freak by their standards and am wasting my life with whatever it is I'm doing (which doesn't include food, drugs, and entertainment to the same extent they prefer it) so I have little to say that they'd want to listen to and I'm learning I have to be fine with that if I don't want to poison myself out with my own cortisol.

That's why I hardly ever watch The View. I don't find it entertaining. To me, it's just people saying ridiculous things that have little to do with reality. Celebrities in their bubbles commenting on the lives of people not in the bubble and often it's got little to do with life outside their bubble yet the masses can and do find it alluring because someone said it on television, must be right. Why I have no idea. I never have. Okay, maybe once when I was too young to know any better but definitely not now. Now it just seems irresponsible. Back up the principal. Explain to the kid he cannot jeopardize the safety of the school but he can work within that structure and still express himself. That seems like the logical statement to make about the situation. When I was a kid, I couldn't wear pot leafs on clothing to school, none of us could and if we did, we would have to wear the shirt inside out the rest of the day and face possible detention or suspension. No parent ever went to the media and made a big fuss over it. We couldn't wear short - shorts to school, either. We should be glad they let us gals wear jeans. When my mom was a kid, even that was forbidden. If the principal of the school decides, for whatever reason, that kids cannot wear shaven shapes in their scalps, then they can't wear them and if they do, the principal will respond. That IS reality regardless of what any celebrity says.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 3:52 pm

Zajie wrote:
I accidently posted what I wanted to post on this thread on different thread by accident but it itches, I want to post it here too haha so here it is:

Anyways I think people these days should seriously relax and have a cup of a hot drink and not go ahead making a big fuss like that over something like a principle or a teacher saying something to their kids, like what is even wrong with you just go talk with the person who said something to your kid if you don't like it, they just said something to them, they didn't cut off a body part from your kid lol. How I hear those days people suing teachers for only shouting at their kids makes me laugh, people would seize that opportunity for suing which is obviously being for their own stupid benefits lol.
I also think if teachers or someone didn't tell something to kids doing useless things like that kids will turn out too spoiled and dumb like so many people those days, jeez, like let there be some rules at least so that people would learn and have some sense of responsibility. Rules are really essential.

EXACTLY!! Nowadays, if the principal so much as lets themselves be seen with a scowl on their face, the media MUST KNOW! Quick, alert the press!

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 3:53 pm

Ana, you have just described all TV, mostly News, for the last fifty years. Trolling for shock and reaction.

I remember Robert Hineline who told the truth, such that a watered down version of Starship Troopers took fifty years to come out. He was the other side, the very wounded should be killed, and the worst student in every school should be hung from the flag pole. Medical and Educational services should not be dragged down by the worst cases.

The Romans never ran out of people to feed to lions.

Education is Mandatory, students are drafted into the service of the future, and should be subject to standards, such as shaved heads, and ill fitting drab uniforms. Feed the thin, let the fat spend school days walking around the grounds, and try to keep everything not education or health out.

Their only purpose is to be the future.

Overthrow your TV, do not let Entertainment poison you.

Reality is a harsh mistress, todays middle schoolers will be fighting ISIS in urban warfare, give them the best chance of living.

Health, education, and a national identity are the only things we can give the future.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 3:57 pm

Inventor wrote:
Ana, you have just described all TV, mostly News, for the last fifty years. Trolling for shock and reaction.

I remember Robert Hineline who told the truth, such that a watered down version of Starship Troopers took fifty years to come out. He was the other side, the very wounded should be killed, and the worst student in every school should be hung from the flag pole. Medical and Educational services should not be dragged down by the worst cases.

The Romans never ran out of people to feed to lions.

Education is Mandatory, students are drafted into the service of the future, and should be subject to standards, such as shaved heads, and ill fitting drab uniforms. Feed the thin, let the fat spend school days walking around the grounds, and try to keep everything not education or health out.

Their only purpose is to be the future.

Overthrow your TV, do not let Entertainment poison you.

Reality is a harsh mistress, todays middle schoolers will be fighting ISIS in urban warfare, give them the best chance of living.

Health, education, and a national identity are the only things we can give the future.

That's sorta seeing the cup half empty instead of half full, Inventor. People do not acknowledge what they have these days, it's the trend to only see what's not there because they simply want everything their way all the time. My question is, is that realistic? Is it possible?

One way of looking at it, although it might not be popular, is to think; the less I want the more I will have. So, if I don't want the choices, I will have them because I will be trusted with them. It's a moderate philosophy. The choice is there but I will be wise in my decisions so the choices will remain.

Freedom, when you think about it, really is a sense because we all know, we cannot be truly free. We simply aren't. We always have conditions placed on us just being born into matter places conditions on our lives. But to not want the choice means others are not aware enough to deprive of the choice to begin with so that sense of freedom is there because we aren't making the choice. It seems like a paradox but by taking less you actually have more, in the sense of freedom. People have limited awareness, generally.

It's like saying, everyone knows we can do it any way we want, but we all choose to do it this way and no one seems to mind. The freedom of doing it other ways is preserved this way. It seems like a condition of living in the real, material world.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 28 Feb 2015, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:10 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:

EXACTLY!! Nowadays, if the principal so much as lets themselves be seen with a scowl on their face, the media MUST KNOW! Quick, alert the press!

People are so annoying these days, they also want the school to teach their kids manners which should've been taught by parents, theres a time in my school when a stupid parent complained about students being allowed to take phones with them and said it should be completely banned, nearly sued the school too and reason was that that parent's kid took a picture of teacher and made fun of it on social media and the parent said its better not to allow students to take phones because those kind of problems would happen. Lol what? Some students really need to take it because their homes might be far or no one to pick them up so they need to call someone, so if you can't teach your kid to have respect toward teachers don't come blame the school for it. That parent annoyed me so much lol like is your kid's manners the school's responsibility? No lol.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:16 pm

Zajie wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:

People are so annoying these days, they also want the school to teach their kids manners which should've been taught by parents, theres a time in my school when a stupid parents complained about students being allowed to take phones with them and said it should be completely banned, nearly sued the school too and reason was that that parent's kid took a picture of teacher and made fun of it on social media and the parents said its better not to allow students take phone because those kind o problems would happen. Lol what? Some students really need to take it because their homes might be far or no one to pick them up so they need to call someone, so if you can't teach your kid to have respect toward teachers don't come blame the school for it. That parent annoyed me so much lol like is your kid's manners the school's responsibility? No lol.

For one thing, kids can have dual personalities. They act one way at home, a completely other way at school. They know when their parents are around, they can't get away with stuff but they can when not hovering over them. So it is possible for kids who are perfectly well behaved around their parents to not be at school. It's like they are saving all their pent up anxiety for school because they know their parent's aren't there to disapprove. A lot of times, kids are trying to find ways to deal with their anxieties.

Kids should be discouraged from having their phones out in class. Not an all out ban, just don't get them out in class.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:25 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:

People are so annoying these days, they also want the school to teach their kids manners which should've been taught by parents, theres a time in my school when a stupid parents complained about students being allowed to take phones with them and said it should be completely banned, nearly sued the school too and reason was that that parent's kid took a picture of teacher and made fun of it on social media and the parents said its better not to allow students take phone because those kind o problems would happen. Lol what? Some students really need to take it because their homes might be far or no one to pick them up so they need to call someone, so if you can't teach your kid to have respect toward teachers don't come blame the school for it. That parent annoyed me so much lol like is your kid's manners the school's responsibility? No lol.

For one thing, kids can have dual personalities. They act one way at home, a completely other way at school. They know when their parents are around, they can't get away with stuff but they can when not hovering over them. So it is possible for kids who are perfectly well behaved around their parents to not be at school. It's like they are saving all their pent up anxiety for school because they know their parent's aren't there to disapprove. A lot of times, kids are trying to find ways to deal with their anxieties.

Kids should be discouraged from having their phones out in class. Not an all out ban, just don't get them out in class.

I agree with you but they shouldn't make phones banned.
Phones were completely banned from my school because of that complain, I never saw people taking it out in class before, I used to take my phone so that I won't get bored on my way home or if I was going to be late or if I wanted to get back home earlier, now sometimes I finish earlier on days but no one knows that so I stink at school for hours waiting unless I know someone who sneaked a phone with them I would go call someone to pick me.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:29 pm

Zajie wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:

Phones were completely banned from my school because of that complain, I never saw people taking it out in class before, I used to take my phone so that I won't get bored on my way home or if I was going to be late or if I wanted to get back home earlier, now sometimes I finish earlier on days but no one knows that so I stink at school for hours waiting unless I know someone who sneaked a phone with them I would go call someone to pick me.

Well, the administrators at your school should have created a rule keeping them out whenever in the class then they should deal with the individuals who break the rule and the rule breakers should just acknowledge reality, not simply run to the media complaining about how unfair life is because that's one thing about life, it isn't always going to be fair and people have to deal with that.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:34 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Zajie wrote:

Well, the administrators at your school should have created a rule keeping them out whenever in the class then they should deal with the individuals who break the rule and the rule breakers should just acknowledge reality, not simply run to the media complaining about how unfair life is because that's one thing about life, it isn't always going to be fair and people have to deal with that.

I agree with you, my school is also bad in putting rules, this isn't the first stupid rule they put, but they remove those kind of rules later on.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Back up the principal. Explain to the kid he cannot jeopardize the safety of the school but he can work within that structure and still express himself.[/ quote]
Upthread I linked an article about this incident where the mother said he had been wearing this hairstyle for the prior 5 months. If it was really a gang issue, why was it not an issue for the previous 5 months?

Quote:
That seems like the logical statement to make about the situation. When I was a kid, I couldn't wear pot leafs on clothing to school, none of us could and if we did, we would have to wear the shirt inside out the rest of the day and face possible detention or suspension. No parent ever went to the media and made a big fuss over it.

That's because you were not drawn on with a Sharpie marker. A fuss would likely have been raised if you came home with the shirt scribbled over in marker, or worse yet your skin. That was the line the principal should not have crossed. Why was he not made to wear a hat? That would have been the equivalent.
Quote:
We couldn't wear short - shorts to school, either. We should be glad they let us gals wear jeans. When my mom was a kid, even that was forbidden. If the principal of the school decides, for whatever reason, that kids cannot wear shaven shapes in their scalps, then they can't wear them and if they do, the principal will respond. That IS reality regardless of what any celebrity says.

It is the nature of the response- a sharpie rather than a hat- and the timing- waiting 5 months. It seems a pretty capricious enforcement of the rules.

In any case, I don't think it really matters if Sharon Osborn has no knowledge of the reasoning nbehind some dress codes. Indeed you are right that some people listen to her and might mistake her as an authority but her demographic is fellow midle aged women. Middle school kids are probably not even aware she exists. Is the danger that she mighht influence some moms to allow their kids to wear wacky hair? So what?

I do see an issue here but to me it's not Osborn overstepping her knowledge. It's the principal overstepping school authority. It is one thing to make a dress code that covers haircuts. It is quite another to enforce that dress code by coloring a kid's skin with marker. I see that as a significant overstep. Why not a hat?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 4:43 pm

Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Back up the principal. Explain to the kid he cannot jeopardize the safety of the school but he can work within that structure and still express himself.[/ quote]
Upthread I linked an article about this incident where the mother said he had been wearing this hairstyle for the prior 5 months. If it was really a gang issue, why was it not an issue for the previous 5 months?

Quote:
That seems like the logical statement to make about the situation. When I was a kid, I couldn't wear pot leafs on clothing to school, none of us could and if we did, we would have to wear the shirt inside out the rest of the day and face possible detention or suspension. No parent ever went to the media and made a big fuss over it.

That's because you were not drawn on with a Sharpie marker. A fuss would likely have been raised if you came home with the shirt scribbled over in marker, or worse yet your skin. That was the line the principal should not have crossed. Why was he not made to wear a hat? That would have been the equivalent.
Quote:
We couldn't wear short - shorts to school, either. We should be glad they let us gals wear jeans. When my mom was a kid, even that was forbidden. If the principal of the school decides, for whatever reason, that kids cannot wear shaven shapes in their scalps, then they can't wear them and if they do, the principal will respond. That IS reality regardless of what any celebrity says.

It is the nature of the response- a sharpie rather than a hat- and the timing- waiting 5 months. It seems a pretty capricious enforcement of the rules.

In any case, I don't think it really matters if Sharon Osborn has no knowledge of the reasoning nbehind some dress codes. Indeed you are right that some people listen to her and might mistake her as an authority but her demographic is fellow midle aged women. Middle school kids are probably not even aware she exists. Is the danger that she mighht influence some moms to allow their kids to wear wacky hair? So what?

I do see an issue here but to me it's not Osborn overstepping her knowledge. It's the principal overstepping school authority. It is one thing to make a dress code that covers haircuts. It is quite another to enforce that dress code by coloring a kid's skin with marker. I see that as a significant overstep. Why not a hat?

Janissy,

The reason I created the thread is I am responding to what Sharon Osborn said about it specifically and it got under my skin because it seemed like she was only saying it to pander to a certain crowd and she doesn't have much experience in the matter. She made it sound like adults cannot understand why kids choose their clothing or hair styles because we seem disconnected from their world which might not be true. I know it's not true in my case because I was not in the mainstream with my clothing choices. I wore stuff from vintage stores in high school and stood out big time. I was not scared to take risks with my clothing so I understand the reason why kids like to stand out from the crowd.

If all this is true about what happened at the school, it is a matter for the parent, the school and the school board not personas appealing to a crowd.

Sharon Obsborn pretty much said adults are disconnected from kids and that is why this principal couldn't understand it was okay because the kid is not in a gang, it's just fashion. Adults know nothing about fashion, I mean we were never teenagers once ourselves, right?

I mean it really struck a nerve because she can afford several layers of protection and most people can't so it's so flippant and cavalier to even speak about this situation if you are rich and can afford your own security team and expensive schools for your children where fights aren't likely. They don't have to deal with the reality everyday - people wanting to destroy you just for showing up at school not just bully but thoroughly annihilate. It's a totally different world.

Furthermore, when I was in school, we got cited just for wearing hats in the building. Hats were a definite no-no. Teachers found them very offensive.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:08 pm

Now the Sharpie thing is weird. The school board might definitely want to rethink that policy if it even is one. Marking on anyone isn't the best idea. But still, it's simply a matter of the school and school board and should be taken up with them.

The Talk wasn't commenting on the magic marker cover up in particular, just this idea adults don't understand fashion and that is why this happened. It was a matter of the kid not being in a gang, just wearing the gang hairstyle which the school has a policy against, and the principal was an ignorant grown up not understanding the rebellion and fashion of a teenager and that's why this whole incident occurred.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:27 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Janissy,

The reason I created the thread is I am responding to what Sharon Osborn said about it specifically and it got under my skin because it seemed like she was only saying it to pander to a certain crowd and she doesn't have much experience in the matter.

Pandering to a certain crowd- middle aged women whon are fans of The View- is her job. If she didn't pander to her audience, she's be fired and rightly so. She wasn't hired to make informed commentary on important topics. She was hired to entertain middle aged women. She really is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing.

Quote:
She made it sound like adults cannot understand why kids choose their clothing or hair styles because we seem disconnected from their world which might not be true. I know it's not true in my case because I was not in the mainstream with my clothing choices. I wore stuff from vintage stores in high school and stood out big time. I was not scared to take risks with my clothing so I understand the reason why kids like to stand out from the crowd.

That is the surface impression but I think there's another layer going on here. Osborn "represents" for middle aged women who rocked out in their youth. What she has done here is gotten these women to take a dual look at a situation, both as the adult and as their younger selves who wore styles that may have riled school authorities. Yes, it's an absolute pander, but as a member of The View cast, that's what she's supposed to do. She's the voice of the aging rocker chicks who remember what it was like to be criticized for clothes. What does this have to do with this school's dress code? Nothing, really. But that isn't really the point. The point, for The View, is to keep a broad swath of middle aged women tuned in, including the pretty sizeable demographic of moms who wore wacked out hair styles to high school in the 80's.

Quote:
If all this is true about what happened at the school, it is a matter for the parent, the school and the school board not personas appealing to a crowd.

Anything that hits the news is fair game.

Quote:
Sharon Obsborn pretty much said adults are disconnected from kids and that is why this principal couldn't understand it was okay because the kid is not in a gang, it's just fashion. Adults know nothing about fashion, I mean we were never teenagers once ourselves, right?

Of course we were and I think she knows that. She's speaking as the voice of aging rocker chicks turned moms, her sub-demographic of the The View's middle aged women audience.

Quote:
I mean it really struck a nerve because she can afford several layers of protection and most people can't so it's so flippant and cavalier to even speak about this situation if you are rich and can afford your own security team and expensive schools for your children where fights aren't likely. They don't have to deal with the reality everyday - people wanting to destroy you just for showing up at school not just bully but thoroughly annihilate. It's a totally different world.

That's assuming it really was a gang haircut issue, something I'm not convinced of after reading the associated news stories.

Quote:
Furthermore, when I was in school, we got cited just for wearing hats in the building. Hats were a definite no-no. Teachers found them very offensive.

If there really was a realistic chance of violence being sparked by his haircut, a hat would have been the considerably lesser of two evils.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 5:47 pm

Janissy wrote:
Pandering to a certain crowd- middle aged women whon are fans of The View- is her job. If she didn't pander to her audienve, she's be fired and rightly so. She wasn't hired to make informed commentary on important topics. She was hired to entertain middle aged women. She really is doing exactly what she's supposed to be doing.

Actually she sounded more like she was pandering to teenagers who don't want to follow rules and the parents who don't think they should have to follow them.

Quote:

That is the surface impression but I think there's another layer going on here. Osborn "represents" for middle aged women who rocked out in their youth. What she has done here is gotten these women to take a dual look at a situation, both as the adult and as their younger selves who wore styles that may have riled school authorities. Yes, it's an absolute pander, but as a member of The View cast, that's what she's supposed to do. She's the voice of the aging rocker chicks who remember what it nwas like to be criticized for clothes. What does thisnhave to do with this school's dress code? Nothing, really. But that isn't really the point. The point, for The View, is to keep a broad swath of middle aged women tuned in, including the pretty sizeable demographic of moms who wore wacked out ahir styles to high school in the 80's.

I disagree that she represents anybody. I do think she wants to be popular with kids her own sons and daughters ages and with parents who have children who got into trouble for some reason and feel they shouldn't have. That is who I think she caters too. A lot of these folks just happen to be into music and although she is rock, a lot of the rock credo can apply to hip hop as well, this idea you can do whatever you want to do. It is prevalent in rock and roll. How can that be denied? Sure it sounds like fun, I mean, who would not want to do what they want to all the time without any kind of repercussions or consequences. If it were possible, most people would live that way. I would. Many I know also would, because it sounds like a fun, easy life that doesn't require any effort. At the same time, I know that if I don't wear shoes to Wal Mart, I get kicked out of the store. So I can live in this fantasy world all I want, when I go to Wal Mart without shoes, they are going to throw me out the minute they notice. So what's the point of living the fantasy life if I can't go shopping when I need to and get what I need to exist in the real world?

Quote:

Anything that hits the news is fair game.

And anything they say in response is, too.

Quote:
Of course we were and I think she knows that. She's speaking as the voice of aging rocker chicks turned moms, her sub-demographic of the The View's middle aged women audience.

Most of those don't like gang banger looks or lifestyle. They think it's dangerous. It isn't like the stoner lifestyle that didn't involve drive by shootings. It's apples and oranges. I think she is appealing specifically to people who don't like following the rules and feel they don't have to. When kids hear her stand up for them, she becomes someone who is on their side and they like her, the "cool mom" kind of mom who understands them. It's like the mom that says it's okay for kids to do what they want and society is too restrictive so it's not anyone's fault but authority. I am not even sure if she is popular with old rocker chicks. Most of them do not like the wives of musicians much.

Quote:
That;s assuming it really was a gang haircut issue, something I'm not convinced of after reading the associated news stories.

Just proved my point. Thank you.

Quote:
If there really was a realistic chance of violence being sparked by his haircut, a hat would have been the considerably lesser of two evils.

Hats aren't allowed in the school buildings where I live. Not saying it is a possible option and it is a better choice than magic markers but it does send the message it is okay to bend the rules and public schools do not like to set that example.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Feb 2015, 7:58 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
You post that because you disagree with my gun views but hey we all know about guns. It's impossible not to.

No, I posted that because you talk out of your ass a lot, not only on guns. You also don't even seem to recognize your own ignorance, let alone that of the rest of the board, concerning firearms, kind of proving my point.

Ignorance about what? You need to take other people's opinions into consideration along with your own.

Dox is far from the only person to express exasperation with your willingness to comment on matters that you plainly know very little about. You genuinely seem to believe you are an expert on evolutionary biology, for example.