Are Autistic Men More Likely to be Misogynistic?

Page 12 of 18 [ 285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next

Autistic Men are More Misogynistic than Average?
I'm a male and I agree. 17%  17%  [ 27 ]
I'm a male and I disagree. 55%  55%  [ 86 ]
I'm a female and I agree. 12%  12%  [ 19 ]
I'm a female and I disagree. 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 155

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 3:29 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
I think a deficit of social interaction with real people makes Aspie men more likely to be susceptible to toxic views on women but also a a warped perspective of reality in general. Most of the time guys on here try to explain and justify their warped views they cite movie and tv clips as if that is how things work in real life. They live in a perpetual cognitive feedback loop that they can't change because they refuse to recognize it.

It's why relationship advice from people who constantly fail at dating (thus confirming their preconcieved notions) is more valuable in their eyes than people who can have successful relationships (whom they generally ignore and dismiss, at least on this forum)

There's a damn good reason for it. Most people who are successful at dating, which includes alpha males (top 20% of all men who have sex with 80% of all women), CAN'T OR WON'T give constructive advice that an aspie man can actually work with. Can't, because they know social/sexual communication stuff intuitively, like swinging their arms while walking. Won't, because it's in their instinct to keep beta males away from "their" women. So they only give platitudes like:
* "Just go out and talk to women" when you've been doing that already
* "Be yourself", when your "self" is what makes you fail, while their "self" lets them meet women left and right
* "Be cocky and funny" with no concrete examples whatsoever (David DeAngelo)
* "Have more confidence" with no pointers on how to actually do that, when they magically already know how
* "Be romantic" when you already have more than enough romance to give

Therefore, their advice ranges from worthless to downright harmful, due to its confusion factor, and at times, deliberately setting up people to fail. By contrast, advice from people who also fail at meeting women comes from someone aspie men empathize with, and vice versa. Also, a quick word about TV: art imitates life! Ideas about those vicious wives on TV have to come from somewhere; it's not something producers pull out of thin air. So while the TV is not perfect, it's a good early warning tool for dangers aspie men can face.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
I think a deficit of social interaction with real people makes Aspie men more likely to be susceptible to toxic views on women but also a a warped perspective of reality in general. Most of the time guys on here try to explain and justify their warped views they cite movie and tv clips as if that is how things work in real life. They live in a perpetual cognitive feedback loop that they can't change because they refuse to recognize it.

It's why relationship advice from people who constantly fail at dating (thus confirming their preconcieved notions) is more valuable in their eyes than people who can have successful relationships (whom they generally ignore and dismiss, at least on this forum)

There's a damn good reason for it. Most people who are successful at dating, which includes alpha males (top 20% of all men who have sex with 80% of all women), CAN'T OR WON'T give constructive advice that an aspie man can actually work with. Can't, because they know social/sexual communication stuff intuitively, like swinging their arms while walking. Won't, because it's in their instinct to keep beta males away from "their" women. So they only give platitudes like:
* "Be yourself", when your "self" is what makes you fail, while their "self" lets them meet women left and right
* "Have more confidence" with no pointers on how to actually do that, when they magically already know how

Therefore, their advice ranges from worthless to downright harmful, due to its confusion factor, and at times, deliberately setting up people to fail. By contrast, advice from people who also fail at meeting women comes from someone aspie men empathize with, and vice versa. Also, a quick word about TV: art imitates life! Ideas about those vicious wives on TV have to come from somewhere; it's not something producers pull out of thin air. So while the TV is not perfect, it's a good early warning tool for dangers aspie men can face.

lol!

Like I said. They aren't Misogynists, they just don't know any better. Thanks for proving my point. :wink:

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 4:05 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Aspie1 wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:

lol!

Like I said. They aren't Misogynists, they just don't know any better. Thanks for proving my point. :wink:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm

Geekonychus wrote:

I agree, it's usually more of a delusional thing than a sexist thing, though that can be difficult to distinguish unless you've been around long enough to see the pattern.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 5:33 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:

I agree, it's usually more of a delusional thing than a sexist thing, though that can be difficult to distinguish unless you've been around long enough to see the pattern.

That takes the element of malice out of it. Interesting to look at it this way.

charcoalsketches
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm

I don't know if they are likely to be misogynistic, but perhaps, we are one of the most observant about them. I've had moments where my point of view on women are misogynistic, but those views were based off of observations about the characters of most of the women I have met. I don't know if, for most guys, it's an act of fear, an act of jealousy, an act of misinformation about interactions of the opposite sex or truly an act of disgust at certain parts of one's mannerisms, but what you can say is that those within the disorder are more likely to be open about such discomfort.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Mar 2015, 7:38 pm

Autistic men are more likely to not feel sexual attraction towards women. We're more likely to be either asexual or homosexual.

I wouldn't use L&D to draw conclusions about the population at large.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 7:42 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I wouldn't use L&D to draw conclusions about the population at large.

True...it does attract a certain crowd.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 9:46 pm

androbot01 wrote:

I'm a big fan of Hanlon's Razor, I find that it's a better way of looking at the world.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 10:30 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
sly279 wrote:
how can i be a douchbag when they don't even talk to me. no first message, nothing. they just post a list of requirements and say don't bother messaging them f you don't have those. also never said they douchbags, just mislead by a society that is super superficial . some of their reason are legit and I understand. me dating a far left anti gun, hipi would be just as bad for me as for them. we'd fight a lot.

I can relate to your frustration, having suffered many experiences like those in the past, but I don't consider it fair to call women "superficial" just because they have certain preferences for a romantic partner. Presumably we're not talking about an ordinary friendship here, in which case it wouldn't matter what you look like. We're talking about a relationship with a sexual element thrown into the mix, and the fact of the matter is that both men and women would rather have sex with whomever they find physically attractive. If you're like me and most other guys, you doubtless feel the same, so you can't fairly take women to task for valuing attractiveness the way we all do.

Honestly your whole attitude appears symptomatic of a larger trend in today's society to resent attractive people for having their own standards that we don't live up to, calling them "shallow" even though it's their appearance that draws us towards them in the first place. And as the average American waistline continues to balloon thanks to the abundance of cheap hi-calorie food and modern convenience, unfortunately a larger proportion of us just happen to be sinking towards the bottom of the sexual desirability barrel due to our less healthy physiques. Certainly the whole "fat acceptance" movement is spearheaded by overweight women who feel inconvenienced by conventional beauty standards, just as you have a lot of overweight men with scruffy necks endorsing MRA- or PUA-style misogyny. That's why I've come to believe the inter-gender warfare you see all over the Internet is driven more than anything else by the swelling tide of sexual frustration in wake of our obesity epidemic.

never said it was about looks. sure being told I'm ugly and not attractive sucks and i can't change it but I can understand it even though it makes me feel horrible.
i cal them superficial for there you have to have car, home, great job. etc. valueing people on what they own, how much they make, and that these values are far more important then if the guy looks attractive or is a as*hole. its money/objects first, check he has that now lets look at his looks and personality.

I only care about peoples personality and somewhat looks. as i want a relationship not a business partnership. I want to love the person and be loved back not be tolerated for as long as I make enough to be in the business partnership. people seem to go into relationships treating it like a business rather than a relationship. how much does he make now, will he have promotions in his future. if not pass even if he meets 99% of all my other wants, drives me crazy attraction wise and all my family would love him.that is superficial no?

sure such businesspartnerships can last as long as both parties keep getting promoted. don't know whats worse guys wanting a woman who looks nice to f**k or women only caring about how much a guy makes and if he can keep getting promoted. both make me depressed.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm

Dox47 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

I'm a big fan of Hanlon's Razor, I find that it's a better way of looking at the world.

That is a more optimistic attitude.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm

androbot01 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sly's best chances is to work on his diet, or to rely less on online dating and try to build a bond with some girl he knows, I say he has better chance with overweight girls if he's still overweight himself

This is the kind of faulty thinking that leads to misogyny. There are no standards that if met will result in a girlfriend. Relationships form organically out of life.
Sly, stay off internet dating sites. Spend some time out in the real world. Personally, I think you're a sweetie, but the pot won't boil if you don't stop staring at it. Relationships are things that happen naturally as a result of living life.

idealy and in the past yes. but todays world no. people have super high standards, perhaps from all they everyone is #1 you're entitled to success. you can do anything. you're super amazing. nonsense they've been told growing up. meeting the requirements won't guarantee you a gf, but not meeting them will guarantee you won't get one. you have to meet thier requirements to be allowed to talk to them and that is where the organic bonding happens.

You are assuming that all women's "standards" are the same.

no just most. and mostly just the women in my state. I can't guess how women are in other states or nations as I haven't dealt with them. if anything the few I have all seem great, making me wonder if this is mostly a US problem. but that's limited to 3 canadians, and 2 women from philippians. hardly as large of a data point as the over 4k women in my city/state. i haven't even dealt too many women out of my city area, but the ones I saw shared the same standards. leaves me striving to meet those standards while at the same time sicken by them to the point i won't date them probably just reject them when they accept me. depressed cause where does that leave me, nowhere. I don't feel i should have to change to be loved, I won't date someone who only will date me while I'm in good times but soon as i lose my job or don't get promoted ditch me for something better. the ones who aren't like that seem to all be married or in a relationship, so guess I could be a parasite and wait for them to break up(seems wrong and unlikely anyways as they happy together.) I can't afford to move, and due to my hobbies I can't live in anywhere but the US anyways. so i stuck here waiting to die pointlessly looking for work even though it will never help me obtain love cause i'm not good enough now and they won't be good enough ever.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 11:02 pm

Talk about looking on the gloomy side, sly. I'm sorry you're feeling so crappy about your love life. I haven't been very successful myself, but I'm older the you and care less.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 3:31 am

sly279 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Let's ask ourselves which is more likely: that 4,000 out of 4,000 women are douchbags, or that you are the one being the douchebag.

how can i be a douchbag when they don't even talk to me. no first message, nothing. they just post a list of requirements and say don't bother messaging them f you don't have those. also never said they douchbags, just mislead by a society that is super superficial . some of their reason are legit and I understand. me dating a far left anti gun, hipi would be just as bad for me as for them. we'd fight a lot.

Well maybe you should find some women somewhere where they don't have a big list of requirements to talk to you because while that might work on the internet, that's not how real life works.

i think they hold the same requirements in rl as online, they just don't walk around with them on a sign hanging on their chest. so they talk to the guy and ask questions to find out if he meets them, and when it turns out he doesn't then stop talking to him and move on to the next guy. if anything dating sites are better cause people are upfront about this so the guys/women don't wast their time. still hurts though but far less then if i dated them for a few times spent 200 dollars and have them stop when they find out i work as a cashier.

People don't work the way you are positing that they do. People don't just internalize a list, and then go on a seek and destroy mission, only talking to people who fit the list. They might think they do, but they don't. Unless they are a complete misandriac/misogynist, they'd at least realize there is more to people than boyfriends/girlfriends. As androbot said, most relationships are organic.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2015, 5:13 am

I don't let my biological bias towards females get in the way of my logical, thus, I am a misogynistic.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:26 am

androbot01 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Sly's best chances is to work on his diet, or to rely less on online dating and try to build a bond with some girl he knows, I say he has better chance with overweight girls if he's still overweight himself

This is the kind of faulty thinking that leads to misogyny. There are no standards that if met will result in a girlfriend. Relationships form organically out of life.
Sly, stay off internet dating sites. Spend some time out in the real world. Personally, I think you're a sweetie, but the pot won't boil if you don't stop staring at it. Relationships are things that happen naturally as a result of living life.

idealy and in the past yes. but todays world no. people have super high standards, perhaps from all they everyone is #1 you're entitled to success. you can do anything. you're super amazing. nonsense they've been told growing up. meeting the requirements won't guarantee you a gf, but not meeting them will guarantee you won't get one. you have to meet thier requirements to be allowed to talk to them and that is where the organic bonding happens.

You are assuming that all women's "standards" are the same.

Individuals of the same species are almost genetically clones except tiny % of variation in DNA ("DNA fingerprint"), yes every individual is unique but not THAT unique, especially among same culture, each one of us is not an isolated temple genetically and culturally speaking.
Most studies on humans show curve bells, correlations ...etc- if each one of us was 100% unique and totally different from the next then such graphs would show mosaic clouds of spread dots. It's for the same reason why there's popular food and unpopular food for example

For example I bet 99.99% of women would prefer a non-serial killer over a serial killer man - and there are logical reasons why, one of them is because most of us humans have a natural fear from death.