Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 9:10 pm

Is the name Zen yet I don't hear of anyone naming their newborn it. Zen seems like it would be a more popular name than it is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 10:33 pm

The kid would probably be bothered mercifully should he/she carry the name "Zen."

It's not as bad as something like "Moon Unit" or "Dweizel," though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 11:00 pm

Or 'Blanket', 'Ocean', 'North', 'Halo', and 'Cayenne'.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 11:02 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Is the name Zen yet I don't hear of anyone naming their newborn it. Zen seems like it would be a more popular name than it is.

I can say with near 100% certainty that calling your child Zen would lead to a life plagued by trolls intent on disproving nominative determinism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 11:07 pm

adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I can say with near 100% certainty that calling your child Zen would lead to a life plagued by trolls intent on disproving nominative determinism.
There are 2 people named 'Zen Mogri' in the United States. One is in Texas, and the other is in Washington state.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 11:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
There are 2 people named 'Zen Mogri' in the United States. One is in Texas, and the other is in Washington state.

Isn't mogri a kind of radish?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 11:14 pm

adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I don't get it, what would there to be to troll about that name...

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 11:26 pm

adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Disagree.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:09 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

A key component of Zen is meditation in order to achieve Fudoushin which is an immovable state of disconcern in the face of any adversity. For example, John Lennon calmly steering a rickety fishing vessel through a violent storm could be said to have attained Fudoushin.

Nominative determinism, or nomen est omen, is the idea that our names are a predetermining factor in the lives we lead or the careers we end up in, e.g. Usain Bolt.

Hence the trolling of Zen as a means to disprove nominative determinism.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 12:14 am

adifferentname wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

A key component of Zen is meditation in order to achieve Fudoushin which is an immovable state of disconcern in the face of any adversity. For example, John Lennon calmly steering a rickety fishing vessel through a violent storm could be said to have attained Fudoushin.

Nominative determinism, or nomen est omen, is the idea that our names are a predetermining factor in the lives we lead or the careers we end up in, e.g. Usain Bolt.

I try to achieve Fudoushin whenever there's a tornado.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 11:37 am

I'm amazed that more parents don't name their children Zen. It's a very groovy name.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 11:48 am

For a male, I tend to think that two of the coolest names are Thor and Wolfgang.

I wouldn't consider Zen to be a cool name at all.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I doubt that the typical playground bully has any concept of what "zen" means. Nor would they have any concept of how a person of that name would live up to the name, nor fail to. Even Japanese school yard bullies wouldnt know what to make of the name. It would just be a funny name.

Naming your kid "Genius", or "Superman", might well cause your kid's peers to show that he is a really a "ret*d", or "a wimp". But not :"zen".

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I doubt that the typical playground bully has any concept of what "zen" means. Nor would they have any concept of how a person of that name would live up to the name, nor fail to. Even Japanese school yard bullies wouldnt know what to make of the name. It would just be a funny name.

Naming your kid "Genius", or "Superman", might well cause your kid's peers to show that he is a really a "ret*d", or "a wimp". But not :"zen".

You're not giving trolls enough credit. Intellect and breadth of knowledge are, sadly, not determinant factors.

And, of course, my original point was not meant to be taken as anything more than an amusing observation. That isn't to say that I'm not enjoying the examination of it, though.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 3:28 am

Hmm.. not my birth name.. but i get called ZEN MASTER by total strangers..

And now I know why..

I live in

'Fudoushin'

continuously now no matter what happens..

And it's mightY cool.. allowING me to do stuff like dance solo in front of hundreds of people...

It is likely that most performing Artists attain it, at least in a temporary way...

But to attain it all the time is...

SIMPLY BLISS.. AS 'NUTHING' EVER CONCERNS ME..;)

BUT I CAN ACT LIKE IT DOES.. EVEN IF IT DOESN'T..
PER RELATIVE FREE WILL IN REGULATING EMOTIONS..
SENSORY INTEGRATION.. COGNITIVE EXECUTIVE FUNCTIONING
AND SHORT TERM WORKING MEMORY ENHANCED AS SUCH.. WITH

PHYSICAL INTELLIGENCE LIKE MARTIAL ARTS AND BALLET EXPANDING THAT INTELLIGENCE
IN SUPER COOL WAYS...

AND YEAH.. in a way..

a FULL ZEN MASTER IS SORT OF A

CONTROLLING 'PSYCHOPATH' WITH EMPATHY..;)

OR HERO..

TAKE YOUR PICK. :)

Seriously.. even psychological 'research' shows the only thing that truly separates 'psychopaths' from heroes is
AFFECTIVE EMPATHY SO STRONG THAT ONE CANNOT SEPARATE THEIR NEEDS FROM THE NEEDS OF THE TRIBE..:)

AND HERE'S THE 'RESEARCH' FOR THAT..:)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/face-your-fear/201001/altruism-heroics-and-extreme-altrusim

AND i guess.. if 'you' like.. 'you' can call me hero too.. as other folks do that too.. IN REAL LIFE AT LEAST...:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Logston
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2015, 3:59 am

What happens when Zen grows up to be a huge guy with roid rage? Lol...