Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 6:32 pm

Again and again Autism Speaks claims to a gullible media that ABA is "the gold standard" treatment for autism and is "evidence based". And I see the media repeating this like parrots, and it's just propaganda. It's Goebbels stuff.

Here is an article that challenges the lie of the gold standard re ABA that AS spreads as part of its political campaign:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686987/

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 7:32 pm

http://www.wisaba.org/wp-content/upload ... y-Ugly.pdf

PLEASE NOTE: The links to the articles are back to front - this one should be in the opening post, and the challenge to it should be in this second post. So it will make more sense if you read this one first.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 7:47 pm

Thank you for posting these.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 8:01 pm

You're welcome. I am very concerned that they are using this "gold standard" claim to support proposed legislation - at the moment a Bill in Utah which Aspie Utah posted a thread about last week. AS wants all states to legislate for state government support of the "gold standard" (their claim) in each state - ie to set in place in every state legislated protocols and funding that means ABA is established as the "most effective" and "best" treatment for children and young people on the spectrum.

I am not basing this on my opinion but on statements that AS have made.

The gold standard claim - even in the critique article - is acknowledged as a falsity.

These academic writers also question the claim (and other kinds of fad claims):
http://www.srmhp.org/0101/autism.html

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 9:54 pm

B19 wrote:
You're welcome. I am very concerned that they are using this "gold standard" claim to support proposed legislation - at the moment a Bill in Utah which Aspie Utah posted a thread about last week. AS wants all states to legislate for state government support of the "gold standard" (their claim) in each state - ie to set in place in every state legislated protocols and funding that means ABA is established as the "most effective" and "best" treatment for children and young people on the spectrum.

I am not basing this on my opinion but on statements that AS have made.

The gold standard claim - even in the critique article - is acknowledged as a falsity.

These academic writers also question the claim (and other kinds of fad claims):
http://www.srmhp.org/0101/autism.html

So they want a law made that could make it potential negligence for ABA to not be the go-to treatment? A controversial treatment that has a long history of severe abuses and with questioned efficacy?

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 10:28 pm

I think they have monopolist ambitions, that's my take on it... the law changes they are lobbying republicans for now are possibly (probably IMO) the think end of the wedge.

What worries me is that there is no co-ordinated counter-lobby, or none that I know of.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2015, 11:02 pm

B19 wrote:
I think they have monopolist ambitions, that's my take on it... the law changes they are lobbying republicans for now are possibly (probably IMO) the think end of the wedge.

What worries me is that there is no co-ordinated counter-lobby, or none that I know of.

Well no good will come of that...

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 6:25 am

webmd
^an example of mainstream acceptance of ABA.

Quote:
Another new area she is studying is what's called "joint attention," an important early step in relating to others. If you were to turn and look at something, a typical child observing you would probably turn to look at it, too. An autistic child would not notice. "It's one of the hallmarks of autism," MacDonald tells WebMD. "They tend not to care what you are looking at or thinking."

So what?

Quote:
Kids who attend the school go for 30 hours a week, all year long.

And this is presented as acceptable.

I still don't get why people put their kids through this. They are telling their children that their value lies in their ability to suppress their identity. That what's important is the pretense not the person.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 10:08 am

androbot01 wrote:
webmd
^an example of mainstream acceptance of ABA.

Quote:
Another new area she is studying is what's called "joint attention," an important early step in relating to others. If you were to turn and look at something, a typical child observing you would probably turn to look at it, too. An autistic child would not notice. "It's one of the hallmarks of autism," MacDonald tells WebMD. "They tend not to care what you are looking at or thinking."

So what?

Quote:
Kids who attend the school go for 30 hours a week, all year long.

And this is presented as acceptable.

I still don't get why people put their kids through this. They are telling their children that their value lies in their ability to suppress their identity. That what's important is the pretense not the person.

""The idea for early detection is not only that you can intervene early, which is beneficial, but there's the notion that not all children who ultimately have autism are doomed to it at birth," David Amaral, PhD, research director at the MIND Institute, tells WebMD."

Bolding and italics mine

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 10:13 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
"The idea for early detection is not only that you can intervene early, which is beneficial, but there's the notion that not all children who ultimately have autism are doomed to it at birth," David Amaral, PhD, research director at the MIND Institute, tells WebMD."

Bolding and italics mine

I cant believe that there are still professionals out there who are spouting this crap.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2015, 12:42 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
"The idea for early detection is not only that you can intervene early, which is beneficial, but there's the notion that not all children who ultimately have autism are doomed to it at birth," David Amaral, PhD, research director at the MIND Institute, tells WebMD."

Bolding and italics mine

I cant believe that there are still professionals out there who are spouting this crap.

With all the experiences people positing here have had with professionals I don't doubt this at all. Even if they don't say it they think it. ABA as "gold standard" is further proof.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 10:24 am

ischemgeek blog

Found this blog ^ linked from AWN, "What if?"

Quote:
What if you were told that the way you experience the world is wrong? What if you were told your body lies? What if everything you felt and experienced was challenged, tested, doubted, disbelieved?

What if they told you the way you move is wrong? What if your body language and movement was monitored, policed, and controlled whenever you were around people? What if other people saw you slip up and laughed and made fun of you for it? What if they told you that you were a freak and freaks should die? ...

Quote:
What if they told you the way you talk and think and write is wrong? What if they dictated and micromanaged to you how you would say things, and demanded that you comply before they’d give you what you want? What if they did that even involving things you need? And what if, despite saying that compliance with their standards is the way to get what you want, they routinely ignored you if you were asking them to stop? ...

Quote:
What if you were told you had to do things that hurt you, because refusal is a “behavior” and behaviors are bad? What if people willfully and capriciously denied you the ability to comfort yourself as they forced you to do things that hurt, day in, day out, and then blamed you for the explosion when you couldn’t take it anymore?...

The post captures the feelings caused by the mixed messages of society, for me.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2015, 3:15 pm

Light's blade. Is the silver standard electroshock?

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 2:24 am

That's a good article.

Im not sure why I'm responding but I think it's because I have a bit of an outsider's perspective. Having not been diagnosed with autism as a kid.

Some of this stuff I read about ABA (sometimes I get bored so I read about things) sounds outright abusive.

I think it is really sad that some parents have so much faith in therapists. I admit there are some smart ones out there, but as a whole, the field is really just junk science. Yes, there are some empathetic smart therapists. But ABA is BS.

What's better, autism or ptsd caused by emotional abuse? I tend to think autism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm

Here is another expert who thinks autistics may be "recovered" by ABA
Questions for Deborah Fein: Defining 'optimal outcome' .
To be fair in all the wonderful news(sarcasm) she does mention the limitations which are severe.
Only 11 people were "recovered"
The study only looked at people that got ABA early are still children or teens.
Not everybody "recovered" received ABA

Why the hell did Simons Foundation usually pretty good publish something so inconclusive (with such ableist language)?
Why the hell did Deborah Fein want to talk about a project in public that is at an infant stage?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 1:29 am

Greatest difficulties???

There were children who were unable to walk because of inherited conditions, there were children born without limbs because of the thalidomide disaster, children born blind and deaf, children born with brain damage; there were always groups of children and parents who had it worse and parents who had more challenges than parenting autistic offspring... but the claim that parents of autistic children have it worst is really typical of the inflationary claims that AS makes - always stating these as "fact" - just like the delusionary "gold standard" ABA claim. Anything to keep the income stream as inflated as possible.

It's very manipulative and obviously there are many people who fall for it (unfortunately).