Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieAdmirer
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2015, 3:48 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any leaders in the Public Sector (head of a government agency, senator, mayor, director of NGO/non-profit, cabinet member of a foreign country, United Nations ambassador, etc.) that are on the Spectrum. Whether in the United States or elsewhere.

I am not looking for famous advocates for those in the Autism community. Just people on the Spectrum that are leaders in the Public Sector/politics in general. For example: is anyone in the the U.S. Congress on the Autism Spectrum?

I hope this makes sense. Thank you everyone!

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 9:49 pm

AspieAdmirer wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any leaders in the Public Sector (head of a government agency, senator, mayor, director of NGO/non-profit, cabinet member of a foreign country, United Nations ambassador, etc.) that are on the Spectrum. Whether in the United States or elsewhere.

I am not looking for famous advocates for those in the Autism community. Just people on the Spectrum that are leaders in the Public Sector/politics in general. For example: is anyone in the the U.S. Congress on the Autism Spectrum?

I hope this makes sense. Thank you everyone!

Not that I know of...
wait a second... am I being taxed without representation> :pirat:

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm

From the Wiki page List_of_people_with_autism_spectrum_disorders

Brian A. Gutierrez, State of California Councilmember[13]
Freddie Odom, U.S. Mayor, actor, and teacher.[67]
Ari Ne'eman, American autism rights activist[26]- serves on the National Council on Disability, was confirmed by the Senate June 22, 2010

AspieAdmirer
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2015, 3:04 pm

Thank you, guys! Appreciate it.

What do you all think is holding people on the Spectrum back from taking on more leadership positions in the public sector? Obvious and not-so-obvious answers both appreciated!

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 3:36 pm

Quote:
What do you all think is holding people on the Spectrum back from taking on more leadership positions in the public sector? Obvious and not-so-obvious answers both appreciated!

Obvious answer: elections are a popularity contest.

Even seats without elections, the kind that are just based on someone being nominated and confirmed involve socially based barriers such as expectation of eye contact, appropriate facial expressions and vocal expressions and body language, ability to make friends and allies quickly and easily, ability to read others, ability to read a room, ability to respond quickly and appropriately to social situations, and so on.

Less obvious answer: public perception of autism may prevent higher functioning individuals from "coming out."
Autism has such a negative stigma attached to it and is so badly understood by so many people, that "coming out" as autistic could very well be a big mark against you. Just having overheard a lot of conversations, I've heard autistics associated with killers, rapists, and such. I've heard we have no empathy, which I for one can say is totally false. I've heard autistics called a drain on resources, and I've heard people say about lower functioning individuals that they just need to "suck it up". At best, people think "Rain Man."

However: Even with the socially based barriers, there may be some individuals who are on the spectrum who have snuck into office simply because they were running for one of the lesser known and lesser contested positions. For these positions, which often require little more than a statement of interest and an association with a political party, voters may elect their representative without ever interacting with or even seeing them.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 5:01 pm

thomas Jefferson and Losif Dzyghashvilli A.K.A (Josef Stalin)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

If it counts, I served as the Salt Lake County Office of the Clerk public information officer (1994-1995), a Salt Lake County Human Services Advisory Council Social Services Block Grant allocation-panel member (1994-1995), a U.S. Office of the Attorney for the District of Utah hate-crimes adviser (1997-2001), a Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund Inc. PAC board of directors member (1997-1998), etc.

But, don't go by me. People have told me that I am neither notable nor diagnosed. :wink:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm

Is Freddie Odom diagnosed?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Evidence, please?

Both of these men died before any official diagnosis of AS could be made.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 6:03 pm

From his Wiki page:

"In March 2012, as a City Councilmember, Odom came out as a person with autism. He was subsequently elected Mayor of Bluffton, Georgia."

"After appearing in an article on Swamp Gravy in the January/February 2012 issue of Southwest Georgia Living, Odom self-identified as autistic in the following issue.[4]"

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 6:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Evidence, please?

Both of these men died before any official diagnosis of AS could be made.
of coarse i have no evidence just 2 known possibilities

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:15 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
From his Wiki page:

"In March 2012, as a City Councilmember, Odom came out as a person with autism. He was subsequently elected Mayor of Bluffton, Georgia."

"After appearing in an article on Swamp Gravy in the January/February 2012 issue of Southwest Georgia Living, Odom self-identified as autistic in the following issue.[4]"

Just because he identifies as autistic doesn't mean he was diagnosed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:46 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
If it counts, I served as the Salt Lake County Office of the Clerk public information officer (1994-1995), a Salt Lake County Human Services Advisory Council Social Services Block Grant allocation-panel member (1994-1995), a U.S. Office of the Attorney for the District of Utah hate-crimes adviser (1997-2001), a Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund Inc. PAC board of directors member (1997-1998), etc.

Hell yeah

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 8:01 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:

Hell yeah

Hehe! :D

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Just because he identifies as autistic doesn't mean he was diagnosed.

I never said it did.

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2015, 2:52 pm

BetwixtBetween wrote:
Less obvious answer: public perception of autism may prevent higher functioning individuals from "coming out."
Autism has such a negative stigma attached to it and is so badly understood by so many people, that "coming out" as autistic could very well be a big mark against you. Just having overheard a lot of conversations, I've heard autistics associated with killers, rapists, and such. I've heard we have no empathy, which I for one can say is totally false.

On the other hand sociopaths who actually are incapable of empathy, are very much over-represeneted amongst politicians.