Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 7:56 am

Please dont be horrible in your answers

my ocd has become so out of control that i have been punching myself in most areas of my face. Its like i act on my compulsions. My parents still make me go to work in this state of mind

I dont know what i am going to do :(

Rossum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2015, 8:05 am

Jamesy wrote:
Please dont be horrible in your answers

my ocd has become so out of control that i have been punching myself in most areas of my face. Its like i act on my compulsions. My parents still make me go to work in this state of mind

I dont know what i am going to do :(

Hello Jamesy, first let me say you have my sympathy with the OCD, I suffer from it too but in a different form and I take medication to keep it under control.

Have you discussed this with your GP or any other health professional?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 8:50 am

How can i resist the urge to punch myself?

Rossum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2015, 8:59 am

Jamesy wrote:
How can i resist the urge to punch myself?

What's the trigger?

Is there something specific that sets it off?

If so then what?

Jamesy my psychiatrist prescribed medication that keeps my OCD under control, admittedly it's very different from what you're currently experiencing but the fact remains it helped.

I don't know what help if any is available to you but the best I can suggest is talking about this to your doctor or anyone else in your life who is a health professional because I'm certain something can be done to help you.

bearded1
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2015, 9:01 am

I would try to get in to see my dr or therapist to talk to them about what is truly going on. That way you can find out what makes you want to do that. Hopefully you find what it is so you will stop harming yourself.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 9:04 am

Sitting at my office desk sets it off.

I am at work right now and using the internet which is not good

Rossum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2015, 9:07 am

Use the time to get in touch with your doctor and make an appointment, or your therapist whichever you think is best for you.

Medical help is the way forward for you.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 6:01 pm

I find boredom sets me off a lot. I don't self harm but I do have a lot of intrusive thoughts and sometimes I swear to myself when I have a particularly upsetting thought. Harming yourself is a compulsion unless you enjoy it and it doesn't sound like you do. Do you have any obsessive, intrusive thoughts that bother you? If you do, you should consider that maybe these are just thoughts and mean nothing. The more importance you give to such thoughts, the more you have them and the worse they get.

I take Prozac and get lots of exercise and stimulation (books, movies, videogames etc.). Boredom is a terrible thing for someone with OCD. You should try to keep occupied in anything you enjoy. I'm doing pretty well right now but three short months ago I was ready to commit myself (section), I was so worried about these thoughts. I'd recommend Brain Lock by Jeffrey Schwartz and Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder by David Veale and Rob Wilson. These are very good books which will help you understand why you respond to intrusive thoughts with such excessive anxiety. Intrusive thoughts are normal. Everyone has them but they bother people with OCD a lot more than normal.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 9:35 pm

@Jamesy

Please dont be horrible in your answers........ why would we be? we are not against you

my ocd has become so out of control....who diagnosed you? do you see them still?

that i have been punching myself in most areas of my face....can you redirect the violence toward your leg?

Its like i act on my compulsions....yes sounds like it

.. My parents still make me go to work in this state of mind....why do they do that? are they kind and understanding?

What type of work? physical work? mental work?

Is your employer understanding??

I dont know what i am going to do :(......i can understand how horribly out of control you must feel. Med's can help. Will you seek out med's??????????