Hi, I'm not sure if I'm on the spectrum.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Ram0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2015, 10:09 am

Hi,
first of all, excuse my English, it isn't my first language.
secondly, I came here to ask for help with knowing if I was really on the spectrum or not.
I really wish you could help me..

I'm a female, 21 years old.
I have never heard of Asperger's syndrome before this month
I knew I was different but I couldn't understand what I'm..
I thought I had : adhd, bipolar, Schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder.
but It always felt wrong, I was never comfortable with any of them as an explanation.

there is a lot about aspergers that I can relate to but I'm not sure if I relate in the right way:
1. sounds make me annoyed so I always listen to music on a high volume to block other sounds.. I can hear everything that happens in my home
I always thought everyone was like me.. but I found out that my family can't hear the same things I hear.

2, Lights hurt me.. I mean I live in darkness.. and if I turned the light on I have to have something covering it.. so I can't "feel" it in my eyes burning me.

3. I didn't have friends till I was 12.. I remember that girl telling me : " you repeat yourself, stop saying things again and again"
and another girl made fun of me for saying sorry many times when I make a mistake.

4.my teachers always told me to get a diagnose because I act like an adhd.. even till now at uni they keep asking me to do that (asperger isn't known where I live)

5. my friends says I act like a child, when I'm interested in something I act like its the only thing that I care about in life.
then I get bored of it and stop caring about it.

6. I hate being around people, always did... I remember one time my mother forced me to go to a family gathering
I had a break down... I was so overwhelmed that I locked myself away in a quite room and slept all that day..
I never understood why I did that.. it was a nice place but I just couldn't be around all of those people.

7. I can't wear make up, accessories, watches, tight clothes, underwears :oops:.
when I was a child I used to take off my clothes because I was so annoyed by it.
now I wear only over-sized clothes..
and I can't tie my hair cause I feel pain when I do so.

8. I thought I was a male at heart because I act like a boy

9. I'm smart but I act as a stupid little child around people.
I always say the wrong words and I move in a stupid way
people tell me they get distracted when I speak because I move weirdly.

10. I'm extremely clumsy.

11. I'm very organized. when I was a child I was extremely organized and had a place for everything.
but depression came along I just couldn't keep it as organized as before.

12. I have a weird way of talking (I use words most people wouldn't use)
and I'm always on a higher tone than the right one..

13. I can't relate to more almost everything on this list: http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58 ... 83e339.JPG

the thing that makes me unsure if I have asperger is that I don't have any of those:
1.Appear to lack empathy. ( my mom says that I talk like a cold heartless person but people can still tell I'm nice and that I care about them... Is this what they call lacking empathy? )
2.Avoid eye contact or stare at others. (I can stare at others normally)
3.Have unusual facial expressions or postures. (never been told this but I have been told that my face expressions change in an unreasonable way)
4. Be preoccupied with only one or few interests ( my interests change every two months and I can multitask better than normal people so they don't stop me from learning other things at the same time).
5. Eccentric or repetitive behaviors (people told me before that I distract them because I'm always moving but I'm not sure if its repetitive or just moving a lot)

I did take a lot of asperger tests and all of them came with a quite high score.. but not high enough to make me sure.

please help me.. if you have any questions about me that would help you know better if I'm on the spectrum.. please go ahead and ask.

Thank you :heart:.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Mar 2015, 10:23 am

Welcome. Definitely sounds like you think you're kn the spectrum.

Ram0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

alex wrote:
Welcome. Definitely sounds like you think you're kn the spectrum.

Thank you for pointing out how stupid I sound haha..
It just I'm not sure what to say and finding asperger was a special thing becuase it made so much sense

this is what i really want to ask :
the thing that makes me unsure if I have asperger is that I don't have any of those:
1.Appear to lack empathy.
2.Avoid eye contact or stare at others.
3.Have unusual facial expressions or postures.
4. Be preoccupied with only one or few interests (my interests change almost every two months and I can multitask better than normal people).
5. Eccentric or repetitive behaviors (people told me before that I distract them because I'm always moving but I'm not sure if its repetitive or just moving a lot)
6. Seemingly inflexible adherence to specific routines or rituals that serve little purpose.

Can I be an asperger without any of those?
[/b]

I feel embarrassed for the way I wrote the topic before..
the site wouldn't let me edit my entry though..

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Mar 2015, 10:44 am

You don't have to have every item on the list. The dsm explains it.

Ram0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

alex wrote:
You don't have to have every item on the list. The dsm explains it.

I'm thankful for your help.
one last thing, you mean there isn't something that " I must have " to be an asperger?
I mean a Main trait (from the list I wrote) .. like In bipolar you have to have both depression and mania or you won't be diagnosed as a bipolar.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 3:40 pm

Hey Ram0 welcome. :sunny:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2015, 3:50 pm

Ram0 wrote:
one last thing, you mean there isn't something that " I must have " to be an asperger?
I mean a Main trait (from the list I wrote) .. like In bipolar you have to have both depression and mania or you won't be diagnosed as a bipolar.

There are two categories of symptoms. One is social deficits, like trouble with nonverbal communication, trouble making friends, or trouble with social reciprocity. The other is restricted/repetitive behaviours, like intense, focused interests, repetitive hand movements, or preferring to stick to routines. You don't have to have all of the symptoms, but you do have to have at least two in the first category and one in the second to be diagnosed with Asperger's. (That is, if they're still diagnosing Asperger's--I know it's not in the DSM anymore.)

Ram0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Mar 2015, 7:22 am

RoadRatt
Thank you :D

TheAP
Oh, I understand now..
this is literally what I was asking about.
thank you for your help.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 2:22 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Ram0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Mar 2015, 6:05 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet!