Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:24 pm

EyeDash wrote:
Accepting that I have different feelings than most folks has been humbling, but is also freeing.

I have no idea how I feel beyond OK, could be better or fed up.
I don't feel as if my feelings are different, just that I seem to experience them differently than the majority.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:33 pm

[quote="starkid"]Even if you had not existed at some point, not being able to think in that state would have prevented you from having collected any cognitive experience from which you could reason in your current state of existence.[quote]

If I did not exist I would not think either.
There would be no need for cognitive experiences.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:41 pm

dossa wrote:
Now I need to read up on alexithymia. I do not know what it means, but I do relate to much of what is being discussed here. My physical reactions are the biggest way I know if I am experiencing an emotion. Then I go back and review what was going on and 'insert correct emotion word'. I am also unable to adequately gauge internal pain and I very much relate to what was said about not noticing physical ailments then finding out had I waited any longer I would have died. I have had emergency surgery before because of this. Thank you for starting this topic.

Not sure if alexithymia is describing me actually. I recognize the feelings but don't seem to experience them in the same ways as most.
Ask me how I feel though and I might just stare at you as in not sure what to answer. My standard answers are could be better, OK and fine. I rarely mention to people I am fed up. It's not what they want to hear. Anything beyond that is exploring my state of being to me and that is hard work.

Think my lack of understanding is more to do with my holistic view than anything else.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:47 pm

starkid wrote:
guzzle wrote:
starkid wrote:

Quote:
I am and therefore I think.

I fail to see how that's a tenable position. If thinking is a necessary consequence of being, rocks and dirt also think.

By being I am able to think.
If I wasn't I would not be able to think.
That's my logic.

That is an unjustifiable assumption, not a logical conclusion.

It's not an assumption. It's the conclusion I came to after I pinched myself really hard and felt the pain.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 4:09 pm

guzzle wrote:
Quote:
That is an unjustifiable assumption, not a logical conclusion.

It's not an assumption. It's the conclusion I came to after I pinched myself really hard and felt the pain.

I don't see the use in controverting something I've suggested without addressing the reasoning I've given for suggesting it. This response, like so many others of yours in this thread, seems largely irrelevant to me. I can't read your mind; illustrating connections between your comments and those you quote is your job.

I did not bring up anything having to do with morphic resonance, and I've no means of knowing how you interpreted what I said that way unless you explain the connection between what I said and morphic resonance as you see it:

Morphic resonance is a process whereby self-organising systems inherit a memory from previous similar systems.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 5:27 pm

Quote:
You are contradicting yourself. "Thinking is an inevitable outcome of being" is a universal statement, yet you say that you only apply it to yourself, at least in this discussion. "My thinking is an inevitable outcome of my being" would be more appropriate.

My lazyness I suppose in so far that I should do a better job of proof-reading my ramblings before I submit.

Quote:
morphic resonance posits that "memory is inherent in nature"[3][9] and that "natural systems, such as termite colonies, or pigeons, or orchid plants, or insulin molecules, inherit a collective memory from all previous things of their kind".
Morphic resonance is not accepted by the scientific community as a real phenomenon and Sheldrake's proposals relating to it have been characterized as pseudoscience. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupert_Sheldrake

Had a friend many years ago that was really into Rupert Sheldrake and if memory is inherent in nature then by definition wouldn't rocks and soil have a memory of kind?
Hence the association in my thinking when you mention stones and soil that can think :mrgreen:

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

starkid wrote:
it doesn't match up with the experience of most people or the current state of psychology.

Not sure what you mean with 'the current state of psychology' but it's hardly representative of human behaviour :mrgreen: Read on... seems like normal is more like weird... talk about matching the picture to the frame :roll:

Quote:
Well, a group from the University of British Columbia recently published an enormous meta-analysis on the danger of assuming that all of humanity closely matches the behaviors of 20-something college students. They cite evidence that between 2003 and 2007 undergrads made up 80 percent of study subjects in six top psychology journals, and that 96 percent of all psychology samples come from countries that make up only 12 percent of the world’s population. They call this the WEIRD population—Western Educated Industrialized Rich Democratic—and say that they are the least representative populations one could find for generalizing about humans.

The researchers found huge variability between global populations along measures of motivation, self-perception, reasoning, heritability of IQ and even visual perception. For instance the Müller-Lyer visual illusion, which shows two lines of equal length where one is often perceived, at least by American undergrads, as longer than the other, is actually not an illusion at all for the San foragers of the Kalahari. The authors also note points of similarity like this one: in 37 populations, males tend to rank physical attractiveness of mates to be more important than do females.

The main plea from the researchers is that far too often these so-called WEIRD populations are actually the "outliers" and psychologists need to be less cavalier about labeling some behavior as human nature based on the desires, emotions and culture of a group of 19-year old co-eds.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/podca ... -10-08-07/