Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

RikkiK
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Mar 2015, 11:35 pm

For years I've wanted to be evaluated for ASD, and we believe my father might have it also. I have a lot of signs and symptoms that point to it, but the reason I first ever read about ASD was by looking up why a TV character (and I) so often repeated words after I said them as a child. I made a conscious effort to stop thanks to teasing form my sister, but didn't really cut out the public fulfillment until I was in middle school. I still made a hard "g" sound to calm down before falling asleep and find myself whispering at home. But I've also always felt some word compulsions (I must end all prayers in the exact same way, and I must always say the right sendoff when I'm leaving or hanging up the phone or I feel terribly anxious).

Anyway, since my social life has been a little more "normal" recently, I have felt less intent on a diagnosis (Classic, "maybe I was just being silly and am totally normal despite all of these signs" phases I have). Until moments ago, when I read the word "enmity" and soon found myself in a mixture of tears and laughter over the physical delight I feel from saying that word. I've been stressed, so I'm sure part of it is just my body/mind trying to release, but geez. As far as I know, not many people equate repeating words with the pleasure of a scratching an itch or, quite frankly, sexual release.

Main q: does this occur outside of ASD? And/or can anyone relate :lol: ?

I had been wondering more recently if my word compulsions were some mild OCD rather than ASD, as they often accompany intrusive images of loved ones dying. I also suffered for a while from compulsive vomiting. But now I have no clue where the compulsions come from.

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2015, 1:23 am

I'm not sure if Palilalia occurs outside of ASD, but I definitely relate with you on repeating words and getting a kick out of certain words. I remember as a child someone would say a word I though was hilarious or said something in a weird way and I'd laugh for hours about it. I remember offending my mom once because of the show "My name is Earl" and I thought that was the most hilarious name ever. I repeated it for about a half hour with a hard emphasis on the first part and laughed like crazy only to have my mom yell at me me cause it was her Dad's name (who died when she was only 10).

I'm also known to memorize "exotic" words and repeat them in every day conversation (a lot of the times because it sounds funny). For example, I was at work and one of my friends threw a piece of paper at me and I shouted "OW! My duodenum!" She looked at me confused and walked away as I chuckled.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 9:13 am

My son is 9 and was diagnosed as PDD_NOS when he was 2.5---(Pervasive Developmental Disorder Non Otherwise Specified). They diagnosed him with that because he was so young, but as time went by, it became apparent that he has Asperger's Syndrome. He has been fascinated or obsessed even with words for as long as I can remember. He will get stuck on a word and repeat it over and over and over. He will even make up his own new words. I think I remember trying to look up what it was and palilalia was the word for it. I was even beginning to think he had some form of Tourette's Syndrome along with his ASD. It can be extremely annoying for my husband and I, but we love him dearly and we have gotten somewhat accustomed to it by now. Sometimes I just say, "you are stuck on repeat" and he will laugh. Also, sometimes we just try to get him redirected to another activity. Oh and my son also likes to make strange noises as well. He does seem to be able to control these things to a degree when he is out in public.

Good luck with your search for answers!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 9:21 am

I do what you described. Saying certain phrases make me feel good. "Enmity" is akin to "hatred," so I don't care for that word too much (but...I still like you. :D)

I like to say "I am the wolfman!" And I used to like to say other phrases when I was younger.

I believe it could be a part of autism, at times.