Home base sensory room for aspie girlfriend.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2015, 11:54 am

Hi, so this is my girlfriend's account and she said I could post this. my girlfriend and I have been living together for 5 months :heart: :) and she has aspergers syndrome. she has frequent severe meltdowns and sensory overload to the point that she's only had one job ( at a camp) that lasted for 3 weeks and she was almost fires from it. :( The camp ran for 3 weeks and she would've been fired if not for the fact that there was only a week left. Anyways that coupled with her non verbal learning disorder and chronic mechanical back and neck pain causing cervicogenic headaches means she cannot work and receives odsp. :? We often have trouble with her meltdowns and have to keep her on a strict routine even though she is very high functioning (talks, reads, has above average intelligence and story memory and able to function generally fine.) But im digressing. :roll: The point is we live together and I'm trying to help find ways to minimize her meltdowns. We read that it's good to create a "home base" for her where she could go when shes about to meltdown and stim or whatever else she needs to do to calm herself down. We are going to turn our guest room into her "home base. I'm looking for suggestions of calming sensory items that we could put in the room for her. We were thinking dim lighting, a diffuser with some calming essential oils burning in it (she loves essential oils), soft pillows and blankets, maybe a sensory bubble tube if we could find one... (we don't have tons and tons of money)... any other suggestions? all suggestions for items will be considered... thank you to all who help I love her so much :!:

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 6:20 pm

Well, from your description, I'm not sure what kind of sensory issues that she has but I'd suggest that you should keep the room dim and don't decorate it with bright colours. Also, it should preferable be lockable so that nobody can disturb her while she's recovering in there. Another thing I'd suggest is to find a way to have the meltdowns in a safe way. If you look up Tony Attwood, sometimes he gives some suggestions.

I'd like to hear from your girlfriend though, to see what she has to say.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 10:39 am

I find it strange that I'm so far the only one to respond to this thread. I can't believe that nobody else has suggestions for the OP.

Lostiehere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2015, 11:13 am

My best thing is to touch and play with things in my hands. Some of them really relieve my stress, although have never been one for the rigid stress balls...too hard to squish for me to relax out. We used to have a "Popping Peepers Cow "(i think sold in stores and also online for a few dollars.) But there are probably less expensive versions of various textures and colors that one could buy in a dollar store. Depending on the person they may also like a slinky or some smooth river rocks to hold.

I also like fuzzy blankets/throws. Have one on my bed right now that I snuggle up to my face when needing to bring on calm or go to sleep. As long as it is a neutral or pastel color than that works best to keep my sensory input low.

There are some people that use a 25-watt bluish colored light bulb that is supposed to help reduce stress, but honestly they seemed to mess with me more (could try though since they are only $3). For me, perhaps a well shaded lamp shade or a 25-watt bulb in regular light color would be best.

Last but not least a small fountain (can buy cheap at store) or a little sized aquarium with soothing water sounds could help. It does calm me down. I hear other people like those sound machines with waterfalls, natural sounds, etc.

Hope you are able to find some things that she likes. Maybe ask her what she likes to get herself to her calm/happy place and go from there. And, in the event that she does want to try a few new things out...might be a good idea to just hold on to the receipts in the event that an exchange or refund is needed on some items.

AQ Test Score: 37

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 11:24 am

A lot of good ideas above. I would add keeping the furnishings very simple, so there's no visual clutter. A white noise machine could be helpful, too.

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2015, 9:15 pm

Hi, thank you all for the suggestions and keep them coming! I did give my boyfriend permission to post that (although honey you messed the terminology a little. Shutdown, not meltdown my love. Haha. )

anyways yes I get them(shutdowns) on a basis almost once or twice a week. I am very frightened of the idea of any type of therapy. My aspergers and my shutdowns aren't something that can be cured by therapy...but I digress.

I really just wanted to say that I did give my boyfriend permission to post this question and all he says is true. Keep the great suggestions coming! Thanks everyone!

Sino
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Mar 2015, 12:47 am

If you're not willing to pick up a small desktop fountain (I sometimes find the electric buzzing to be annoying, although I guess it depends on the kind of fountain you actually pick up), this webpage has a number of on-site noise generators that can help you calm down, among other things.

Alternatively, 8-bit canvas with sound effects. It's great, and the artwork is phenomenal.

waterstar0610
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2015, 9:46 pm

Thanks for all the greats suggestions, everyone! Where is the best place to look for stuff cheap? Also we were thinking of creating a sensory bag for her with just a few needed items that he could take with her when we have to go somewhere. Say for an overnight?

Lostiehere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2015, 10:09 pm

Thought about a few more items that I like to keep both in my car and at home to prevent a meltdown. I LOVE chewing and/or bubble gum, although everyone may not be the same with this. It does help me to chew and bear down on the gum in times of stress and gives me something to do in lieu of stimming. A comfortable/used rocking chair or something similar may also work. Cheap paints or brightly colored markers can also help me get into a creative mode and it soothes me to watch the paintbrush strokes glide gently across some paper. I’m not sure what stores in Ontario (as your profile suggests is where you reside) are similar to the Dollar General or Walmart….but as a backup plan, have found that Amazon does carry many of the basic items that were mentioned on my previous post along with this one. A “weighted blanket” or vest may also help or even a soft teddy bear or something that feels soft such as a kitty cat could be good. They even make nature sound/gentle noise machines with sound of rain or ocean that are also pleasant to listen to. These can lull me into a calmer mindset.

AQ Test Score: 37

Antharis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Apr 2015, 12:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysWUYR4bdmA

Bubble wrap works for me. May not for others.
Soap bubbles too.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 2:43 am

Jono wrote:
Another thing I'd suggest is to find a way to have the meltdowns in a safe way.

Padded room? Haha

OP, your girlfriend got diagnosed with Asperger's AND NVLD? That's slightly mind-blowing.