Page 16 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 4:36 pm

Levi Pettit, the most visible face behind the video featuring the chant, just held a press conference and meeting with local black community members. He is definitely trying his best to make a bad situation better. Give him credit for that! He is trying to own up.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm

Meh... I think he should fight this all the way to the Supreme Court.

After all, it is his right to be a racist douche.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Meh... I think he should fight this all the way to the Supreme Court.

After all, it is his right to be a racist douche.

He apparently doesn't feel being a racist douche is a good thing and is wishing to redeem himself which I fully support.

David Boren, OU's president, is addressing trouble at the National SAE level. He claimed at a press conference, the chant was learned on a cruise sponsored by the organization. I guess he hasn't read what SAE posted on their website about changes to their polices, urging their members to report racism to the toll free hotline, much like they are told to report hazing.

He's taking a huge risk mentioning "cultural sensitivity training" because no doubt people will get all upset but hey it's the college level and it's not unheard of to expect greater things from university students than the typical provincial mindset. You can have pride in your own race without being hateful toward others. Part of liking who you are is being able to cope with others who might look different than you but are still existing for the same reasons as you, to rise in life and improve their conditions which is the heart of university culture or should be. It's a body of people who want to improve their lives by going to college.

Rollo
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2015, 3:30 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
We talked about this in one of my classes the other day...

What classes do you take? Are you a teacher or a student?

GoonSquad wrote:
I don't think this is a problem with Frats only. I think it has more to do with any sort of exclusionary social group.
One of the attractions of these groups is that not everyone can get in... that's really the whole point. AND, that is EXACTLY what they were singing about.

That concept you are describing is called freedom of association. I know this is a forum for people from a socially marginalised group (to use leftist terminology) but surely most people in here can understand freedom of association.

GoonSquad wrote:
And finally, from the incident in class, I learned one other thing. Being able to discuss racism as an interesting abstract, academic problem is just one more perk of white privilege. Whites can discuss the issue, debate it, condemn it and put it away when we get bored, because it doesn't really affect us. Non-whites cannot do that. They have to live with and deal with racist attitudes everyday, whether they want to or not. They can't put it away when they grow tired of it.

Well boo hoo. If living around us white people were so hard for non-whites they would be trying to get away from us instead of following us around.

Racial separation by the way would solve the majority of the problems liberals and conservatives alike whine about.

GoonSquad wrote:
What happened--a bunch of white frat boys acting like assholes--might not seem like such a big deal, but I think it is. Here's why.

Lol, it's funny how anti-whites so often talk the same way. That's what happens when you spend all your time in an ideological echo chamber. "This might not seem a big deal, but here's why it's a problem" is how about half the anti-white articles on websites like Salon start off.

GoonSquad wrote:
Those kids are going to be in positions of power in a few years. They are going to be doctors, lawyers, business executives, and HR people in the future. They are going to be judges like the one who just resigned in Ferguson Mo. Their biases matter because, collectively, they will affect thousands of lives.

Do you care about those people in positions of power in the media who ignore masses of violent crimes against white people while harping on about trivial stories like this? Do you care about all the thousands (or rather millions) of lives those people affect? No, of course you don't.