Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 10:48 pm

So there is a guy who is interested in me. We had a date Friday night and it went really well. He's asked me for another date this coming Sunday and we've been texting every night.

I claim to prefer texting because my mother, whom I moved back in with temporarily, is nosey. It's true. But it's also easier to text than talk.

I talk very well all things considered but every now and then I have trouble with forming words or speaking sentences out of order.

Between that and other oddities about me, some I don't even know of, he is bound to figure out something is off. I don't want to scare him off before we get to know each other, but I don't want him to feel like I'm hiding it when he finds out I am probably autistic. When and how do I bring it up and explain it?

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 10:57 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Being different, is the in thing nowadays. :) You could just casually tell him you are a little quirky, and If he really understands you, he shouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2015, 11:01 pm

I think you should wait for a couple weeks at least until you hang out several times. If you do it too early he will think 'well she seems okay but there are probably things I don't know yet that I wouldnt be able to handle.' But if you wait too long and he finds out on his own he will thing you hid it from him.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm

Decided to do an update. Things are going really well. I haven't come straight out and said "I am/ probably am autistic.". But I have talked a bit about autism in general, just comments about my awesome nephew and autistic heroes and that it's not something we need to fear or eliminate. As well as I have mentioned I was in special ed and my brain is not normal but its still a darn good one. If he has put two and two together yet her hasn't said but if not it shouldn't be a shock when he does. I'm not hiding it, but not springing it on him suddenly either.

Otherwise it is going awesome. We have talked for hours in dates and via text about absolutely everything from what my new chick are doing to the fallacies in Einstein's work. I am beginning to think just maybe I've finally found the one. I didn't even mind to much when he showed up to our last date with much less hair than before. And usually shaved heads frighten me. I think he knows the look doesn't work because he joked about getting in a fight with a lawn mower.

But yeah, it's going really well.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 1:49 pm

That's a fantastic update. :) Nice to see a little relationship positivity around here!

I'd say just keep doing as you're doing if it's working for you. No need to blatantly disclose. If he's cool with who you are, then he's cool with who you are.. and doesn't need a label to define or judge you by.

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2015, 1:39 pm

I think you should be honest upfront, especially if you want to be in it for the long term so he knows what he's getting.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 5:55 pm

If he understands the fallacies of Einstein's work like you do, he's definitely a keeper!

Good luck!