Why should the government "help" people with Aspergers?

Page 1 of 16 [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:42 am

Do you believe that the government should "help" people with Aspergers? I find the government trying to "help" any minority offensive. It makes me feel somehow lower.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:53 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Do you believe that the government should "help" people with Aspergers? I find the government trying to "help" any minority offensive. It makes me feel somehow lower.

"Help" in what form?
The career *slackers who rely on the government for everything need to learn how get by without help.

*Slackers: People who can and have worked but won't even in the best of job markets when being on the dole is easier.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 2:22 am

As ASD people we may be on the receiving end of "What is wrong with you?", "Are you OK?", "Do you need help?" as non-ASD people may think our behavior is indicative of a problem with us.

So, perhaps you are conditioned to feel resentment towards others when they make this suggestion ? I know that was a sore spot for me for a long time.

I learned about myself, thanks to WP mostly. I never wanted to admit that there was anything "wrong" with me, because I felt that would validate the bullies and mean people. However, now I am OK with openly admitting to others that 1) I have a brain condition 2) maybe I do suck at things, maybe I am slow at first, maybe many of the mean things said to me are true, however, it is all OK because I have many positive traits too.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 5:37 am

I think programs designed to help people with autism get jobs are a good idea.

On the other hand I have no problem with SSI for someone truly needs it.

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2015, 6:45 am

If the person with Aspergers is in need of help, then yes.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 8:53 am

K_Kelly wrote:

I think it depends on the individual. Apparently some aspies here are fortunate enough to be able to thrive in any and every kind of adversity and privations, others aren't so fortunate. I don't get where some get off on being so judgemental of the latter.

My deviant art profile

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 9:17 am

sophisticated wrote:

Actual "need" being the key word then I agree.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

thomas81 wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:

I think it depends on the individual. Apparently some aspies here are fortunate enough to be able to thrive in any and every kind of adversity and privations, others aren't so fortunate. I don't get where some get off on being so judgemental of the latter.

Thrive? Not even close but we soldier on despite the difficulty.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 10:39 pm

Raptor wrote:
sophisticated wrote:

Actual "need" being the key word then I agree.

Yes actual need as decided by a doctor and the SSI administration....not based on if the public think the person is a lazy no good slacker or isn't trying hard enough. I see some common people making the mistake of thinking they are the best judge of who has an actual need and who doesn't and can assess if someone they don't know would need it or not over the internet.

That aside I agree only people who need it should get it, when people who don't need it get it...that only hurts people who need it and I imagine doesn't do a ton to help people who don't need it since its a lousy income not sure who in their right mind would risk fraud charges to knowingly collect it without needing it....beats me but even so it really just hurts people who do need it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 5:52 am

I agree with all those who say that those who need it, should have it----"need", being the operative word, here. I also agree with Sweetleaf in what she says about those who DON'T really need it, are making it very difficult for those who DO. When I go to the Food Stamp place, the number of people with weaves, wigs, and wicked nails (Oh, my!) is STAGGERING!! How can they AFFORD all that mess, and NEED Food Stamps?? Also, I was standing in the checkout line, one time, and the woman behind me was in the military (in uniform), was on WIC (Huh?), and receiving Child Support (double huh?), from her ex!! Please tell me how she was "in need"!?!?! !

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 9:43 pm

you know the military gets paid awful right? and that lots of them are on welfare, meanwhile congress gives themselves raises to add on to their already way way way over paid job, then they make deals with companies for billions.

meanwhile we pay military people 1k a month and work them like dogs.

also what is wrong with people in need saving and buying fun things? i hate how people think they should live like rats, no enjoyment in their life for 90 years and then die, cause if thats how it should be better off lining us up and committing genocide.

i don't know what weaves are. o.O

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 1:15 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the government helping those in need, since as Americans we're supposed to prize charity and kindness as much as we do individualism. I think anyone who thinks it's wrong for those in need to receive help have never really been in need.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 1:31 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the government helping those in need, since as Americans we're supposed to prize charity and kindness as much as we do individualism. I think anyone who thinks it's wrong for those in need to receive help have never really been in need.

The key word there should be need and not want out of laziness or apathy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 1:57 am

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The key word there should be need and not want out of laziness or apathy.

Again, we're talking about people with Asperger's. Many of our brethren, despite high intelligence, finding it difficult to function in everyday life. Add to that depression and anxiety that often accompanies Asperger's. So, no, we're not talking about lazy or apathetic people.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 6:27 am

Those of us who can function decent should have programs made to help those with mild disabilities or mental disorders to work and get jobs.

Not just for aspies but anyone with even a mild mental disorder or disabilty like ADHD, Dyslexia/Dyscalculus, etc.

Some of us our difficulties are so strong we really cannot work and do need it, at least for the time been.

Lazy N.T's or even (very, VERY) high-functioning aspie's who sit around doing nothing? I do not have any sympathy for them.

And yes there are some of us out there that function so well we can *almost* fit in with the N.T world and definitely be able to hold down a job.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 9:48 am

"help", yes, just like any minority or person that needs it.
"spoon-feed", nope.

SSI is a great thing, for those that cannot work for whatever reason, or are unable to get work, even if they could hold a job.

in the netherlands (where i live), you have an obligation to find work while on SSI.
i myself was on SSI for a few months; i was 'forced' to work in the social workshop during that time, and also apply for at least 2 jobs each week, relevant to my education and ability or not (a nuclear physicist would be punished for not applying as a garbage truck driver); and the institution offers assitance in writing letters, finding vacancies and even trainings in interviews.
While the applying requirement was a bit too heavy in my opinion, being 'forced' to work and apply is a good thing, it keeps SSI costs low, and having a real job is also good for someones mental health.

of course, if you have a (diagnosed) medical condition that excludes you from doing some (any) jobs, you are excused, but aspergers is not one of those conditions.