Auditory Processing Problems & The Sound of Speech

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Do you have any auditory processing difficulties?
ASD and auditory processing issues 64%  64%  [ 7 ]
ASD without auditory processing issues 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
just auditory processing issues 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
auditory processing issues + other neuro stuff 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
don't know/unsure/undiagnosed 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:39 pm

So someone with AS made a youtube video about having auditory processing problems, and linked to this music video as an example of what it sounds like:

I have the same problem, and words sound somewhat the same for me. I'm waiting for a referral for an Auditory Processing Disorder assessment.

Does anyone else have this problem with speech sounding like gibberish, or other APD symptoms such as listening fatigue, poor auditory memory (forgetting stuff immediately after being told, even though you were paying attention), inability to focus on one sound in background noise, or poor localization (inability to tell which directions sounds are coming from)?

Also, does anyone else find this video very entertaining? :D

Last edited by starkid on 15 Mar 2015, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:50 pm

Speech doesn't sound like gibberish to me, it sounds like speech.
It seems that my attention zones in and out of speech that goes on for more than a short sentence.
I seem to have problems understanding ideas communicated through speech.
Often, I hear most of the individual words someone said, but I have no idea what they communicated, even in short sentences.
My auditory processing problems seem to be mostly speech processing problems.
The only one that is not is hearing all the sounds around me at the same volume at the same time to make horrible jumble of noise in my mind.
But even if not much environmental noise, it is still hard to understand speech.
People say too many words to communicate ideas, I often find.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 2:14 pm

I've got APD. In addition to the things you listed I also will often here what I expect a person to say. It takes me longer to process so some times my responses are delayed. Noise can be very overwhelming as I can't filter it like others seem to be able to do.

Reading lips helps but I don't like to look at people I don't know well.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2015, 3:27 pm

It takes me a bit longer to get what someone means by their instruction and sometimes I must ask what they want from me a second time. I noticed more when I was in a group of people who spoke English as a foreign language but understood immediately and I didn't lol. Also mild expressive language problems. I don't think it's the same though

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.