Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 6:02 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The older generation had a better economy, cheaper houses, cheaper education, more job opportunities.

Which generation are you talking about? That is the thing the economy goes through cycles. There have been some terrible time much worse than today.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 1:02 am

Janissy wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Janissy wrote:
The things that technology is making too easy is definately one of the challenges faced by your generation.

While I think its important people don't spend all their time sitting around on electronics, its bad for health in a number of ways. However not sure I get the concept of things in general being 'too easy' I mean I don't see why something should be hard just to be hard if there is an easier way...unless that easier way decreases effectiveness or causes an unhealthy amount of laziness of course.

What I see as worryingly too easy these days is how easy it is to accidentally give away personal information about yourself. And once you do it, you can never undo it.

This used to be very difficult. Now it is as easy as hitting "send" or "submit" and your information has gotten away from you and there is nothing you can do to prevent other people from seeing it.

With one keystroke you can accidentally give phishers access to your passwords and all your financial information.

With one keystroke you can accidentally tell stalkers or any other dangerous people where you live and when you will be in your house.

With one keystroke, the compromising photos somebody took of you at a party high, drunk or just doing something stupid can be around the world, or more likely can be seen by somebody who was about to hire you but now won't.

And so on. It has suddenly become much too easy for other people to know way more about your life (and/or finances) than it ever was before. And they can use that information to cyberbully or twitter hate campaign you. They can use it to steal from you or physically attack you because they now know your address and schedule. The possibilities are endless and terrifying.

Well I personally have not had much of an issue with things like that....I don't even have a Twitter account and don't want one, I put very minimal things on facebook and I don't really hang around people that would take pictures of me and put them up without asking. I guess it is possible someone really good could hack some financial information, then again I really only just check my account from time to time and log off right after. Of course those are all possible risks, but there are various ways to decrease those kinds of things....and I don't really tell people my address online, I may put it for sites you need it to register or have stuff mailed but that doesn't seem to carry any more risks than having a mailbox and receiving mail that says your address on it that someone could hypothetically use to track you down. As for my schedule even I don't know that, so good luck with anyone on the internet figuring that out.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 1:09 am

Nambo wrote:
Another thing that can give a generation an identity they can be proud of, is music, I was fortunate enough to be the generation of the anti-war flower-power music of the late sixties, and also punk in the seventies.
Back then the people made their own music and the record companies put them onto records.
Nowadays the record companies make the music and tell you what you should listen too.
What musical genre is going on today that this generation will be proud of in the future and be able to say:- "That was us".

That is not quite the case with all new music, there is lots of quite active metal, rock, punk and bands of other genres as well, but you don't really hear the good stuff on the radio, I don't get why its the crap that seems to be popular these days, but that hardly reflects all the current music. There are even current bands that play music that sounds as though it easily could be of the 60's...Plenty of artists still make their own music, and vinyl records are making a come-back so things aren't all bad music wise these days.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 11:09 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Nambo wrote:
Another thing that can give a generation an identity they can be proud of, is music, I was fortunate enough to be the generation of the anti-war flower-power music of the late sixties, and also punk in the seventies.
Back then the people made their own music and the record companies put them onto records.
Nowadays the record companies make the music and tell you what you should listen too.
What musical genre is going on today that this generation will be proud of in the future and be able to say:- "That was us".

That is not quite the case with all new music, there is lots of quite active metal, rock, punk and bands of other genres as well, but you don't really hear the good stuff on the radio, I don't get why its the crap that seems to be popular these days, but that hardly reflects all the current music. There are even current bands that play music that sounds as though it easily could be of the 60's...Plenty of artists still make their own music, and vinyl records are making a come-back so things aren't all bad music wise these days.

And today people can self-publish their music on the interwebs and put their music on youtube and such. There are also many more types of music now, they didn't have dubstep or viking metal in the 60s.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 2:25 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Nambo wrote:

And today people can self-publish their music on the interwebs and put their music on youtube and such. There are also many more types of music now, they didn't have dubstep or viking metal in the 60s.

This is very true, though I am not much of a fan of Dubstep, I think it could be kind of cool as an added thing to electronic music songs like as an effect in some parts...but full on Dubstep is just too much for me, that is if I am picturing the right thing for electronic kind of music I lean more towards Industrial sort of stuff especially mixed with rock/metal like Psyclon Nine or psy trance as it is nice and trippy. I do love Viking metal though, not to mention Doom Metal had not made it as far as it has today in the 60's....the roots of it started then but so much has been done with the genre and now there is Death/doom since than which is another of my favorites.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 4:03 am

This thing eats my posts, and sends me to my profile when I hit submit. Then my post vanishes, most of the time.

Then it will post my complaint, and this line is an edit.

Some great work has been lost.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 5:33 am

Inventor wrote:
This thing eats my posts, and sends me to my profile when I hit submit. Then my post vanishes, most of the time.

Then it will post my complaint, and this line is an edit.

Some great work has been lost.

When I think of it I ctrl-c my post. Of course, whenever the forum eats my post I usually forgot to do that.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 5:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Nambo wrote:

This is very true, though I am not much of a fan of Dubstep, I think it could be kind of cool as an added thing to electronic music songs like as an effect in some parts...but full on Dubstep is just too much for me, that is if I am picturing the right thing for electronic kind of music I lean more towards Industrial sort of stuff especially mixed with rock/metal like Psyclon Nine or psy trance as it is nice and trippy. I do love Viking metal though, not to mention Doom Metal had not made it as far as it has today in the 60's....the roots of it started then but so much has been done with the genre and now there is Death/doom since than which is another of my favorites.

I don't even really know what dubstep is, I just think it's a funny sounding name. :D
I'm listening to Týr now. For some reason a lot of metal is from Scandinavia. Maybe it's because of their languages? There is a sing-song quality to it when they speak.

DeuceKaboose
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2015, 11:15 pm

This generation will be fine, just because technology advanced and you don't want it to does not mean that were going to be bad off.

People said the same thing about previous generations (these hippies all need to get jobs!, all kids do is sit around and watch tv all day!)

The last generation was just as s**t as the current one and the cycle of "damn kids these days" will last seemingly forever

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 11:30 pm

i don't think people change much from generation to generation. all people are wonderful, even though flawed, animals.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 10:51 am

cathylynn wrote:
i don't think people change much from generation to generation. all people are wonderful, even though flawed, animals.

I really agree with this. I was very annoyed with the term "greatest generation" coined by Tom Brokaw.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 11:39 am

I remember a time before the Internet. Luckily, our parents weren't all scared of strangers kidnapping us so we were pretty much free range. (In reality, stranger kidnapping has NOT increased. What's increased is kidnappings by someone the child knows.)

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Apr 2015, 12:18 pm

This generation is a product of the one that raised them and the world that was left for them. Technology can be scary and its effects further reaching than we ever can imagine, are we better off is the questions and in most ways its obvious yes but there are definitely downsides as well that some adjusting will need to be done. It annoys me as well to see people make so many generalizations about the "Greatest Generation" or Boomers or Gen X and Millennials, you have to find the deeper meaning in things and understand why things are the way they are instead of casting blame or heaping praise. We're not that different, the world has changed so if you have a problem with this current generation then you really have a problem with the society that shaped them which we all share in.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 12:24 pm

The greatest thing about culture is resources and opportunities for learning and freedom of expression, as time goes on.

The hardest thing about MODERN culture is finding a balance of keeping human empathic connection in heart/SOUL IN EXPRESSING HUMAN spirit, and NOT BECOMING A TOOL OF CULTURE, MOREOVER THAN A HUMAN BEING.

I CAN DO things for freedom of expression now that my ancestors could have never dreamed of at my age.

And as far as worrying about if 'skeletons' come out of closets, the greatest thing about sharing humanity rather than keeping everything secret and hidden, is skeletons no longer become viewed as skeletons in closet.

Instead, skeletons become part of the human condition, more fully appreciated, tolerated, and potentially accepted and at most most likely ignored as there is way too much stuff to do, rather than focus on one persons so-called dirty laundry.

And as far as financial info, getting stolen, I just keep one credit card with fraud protection; problem solved, and don't use my full name on the Internet, as there are much bigger 'phish' to capture than me, who do not use due caution to express themselves as literally fully as they want to, everywhere they go in Internet land, where freedom is possible no matter where a person lives..

Where a Muslim woman can talk about sex if she wants to, with a pseudo name, and not get 'stoned', and all that 'stuff'...

It is a great generation for those who discipline themselves in balance and are NOT AFRAID to fully express who they want to be both online and in REAL LIFE TOO..:)

AND IF A PERSON can avoid getting trapped in a materialistic spending habit world, it doesn't take THAT much money to get by and have basic subsistence, assured.

And with the addition of subsidized health care that potential is greater than ever too, for folks who want to have a family too, with all the health issues that do often go along with that.

The most important thing is to keep an optimistic outlook.

Attitude is 99% of 'good' in life, no matter what the environment may be.

Without a positive outlook, a 'zillionaire' can be miserable everyday, 'everynow'...

And what is a positive attitude...

It is a way of life established by developing mind and body balance through
GREATER physical intelligence regulating emotions,
sensory integration, enhancing cognitive
executive functioning through enhanced
focus and short term working memory.

And all that takes is an E for Effort of continual creative and imaginative practice,
and little to no money to accomplish that part of real potential in human bliss
in the heaven of now, all the time now, with or without materialistic stuff and
lots of money in the bank, or not;

YES, THIS IS 'The stuff' that can be totally 'FREE'
without even the assistance of modern technology
in ways of mind and body balance,
AND is priceless, for those who seek it, find it,
employ it, utilize it and practice it
continually to just be all THEY CAN
BE
NOW
AS IS.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick