Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

retrogurl88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2015, 7:39 am

Anyone here suspect or diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder?

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 2:26 pm

I think I do. My hearing seems to be the least affected of my senses. I am always hearing faint sounds that no one else seems to hear.

retrogurl88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2015, 9:08 pm

I suspect I have it, even my primary care doctor and psychiatrist think so. I have many issues with temperature, textures of clothes and food, lights, sounds etc... I even sleep with a weighted blanket. Although, I'm not on the spectrum I can relate a lot to those who are because of my sensory quirks. But I am also diagnosed with OCD, Panic Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 9:26 pm

Yes, I think I have it; in fact I just recently decided that I probably have that instead of Asperger's. Getting diagnosed is going to be a pain. It's not even an officially recognized condition, I think. But I'm going to see an audiologist for my auditory processing issues, so I'm content with that first step for now.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 2:57 am

Getting diagnosed/treated might not be so difficult after all. I think all I need to do is ask my primary care provider to refer me to an occupational therapist.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2015, 9:46 pm

starkid wrote:
Getting diagnosed/treated might not be so difficult after all. I think all I need to do is ask my primary care provider to refer me to an occupational therapist.

I asked my primary care provider for a referral for occupational therapy a while back. She wrote me a "prescription" for the occupational therapy. With that, my supports coordinator was able to find the right occupational therapist who was in my area, covered adults, covered autistics, and accepted Medicaid, and set up an initial appointment. At the appointment, I met with an occupational therapist, described my problems, they asked me some clarifying questions and asked me to fill out a form, rating my sensory problems, and then diagnosed me with Sensory Processing Disorder. The occupational therapist set up a plan and a six-month probationary period (to see if therapy was helping). I am going once a week. But, if you have serious issues like mine, make sure to discuss setting up a sensory diet for at home too.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: