Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 11:11 am

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03 ... formative/
There are so many things wrong with this idea starting with it conflicting with The Constitution. 8O

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 11:39 am

No surprise there since he believes it would benefit the democrats. We Americans are a disobedient lot so i doubt that would play very well in reality.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 3:39 pm

The most uninformed would also vote for whoever had the longest string of specious statements rattled off at a 3rd grade vocabulary and comprehension level. Sounds like a great plan for ensuring the future of this country.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 3:42 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
The most uninformed would also vote for whoever had the longest string of specious statements rattled off at a 3rd grade vocabulary and comprehension level. Sounds like a great plan for ensuring the future of this country.
the most uninformed already vote in that direction, that's why the religious right is still kicking around.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 3:46 pm

Fugu wrote:
the most uninformed already vote in that direction, that's why the religious right is still kicking around.

So you're for it or against it?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 3:51 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Fugu wrote:

So you're for it or against it?
I'd say i would be for it provided there was easy access to polling stations(or perhaps mail-in ballots?).
gerrymandering is also a problem in this respect imo.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 3:56 pm

Fugu wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The most uninformed voters in the US are the gullible dweebs who get all their information from the mainstream media and vote for whoever offers them the most entitlement freebies and emotional promises. Oh, and those who vote for a candidate based solely on his or her race.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 4:00 pm

will@rd wrote:
Fugu wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

The most uninformed voters in the US are the gullible dweebs who get all their information from the mainstream media and vote for whoever offers them the most entitlement freebies and emotional promises. Oh, and those who vote for a candidate based solely on his or her race.
are you referring to conservative voters?(fox news is part of the 'mainstream media' after all)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

Fugu wrote:
I'd say i would be for it provided there was easy access to polling stations(or perhaps mail-in ballots?).
Nice of you to consider the underrepresented bumpkins I suppose.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 4:03 pm

I would only get behind this idea if they add a "None of the Above" option to the ballot.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 4:06 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Nice of you to consider the underrepresented bumpkins I suppose.
if by underrepresented bumpkins, you mean poor people marginalised by the right and the left, yes.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

Happens in Australia and unnecessarily criminalises many people.

Honestly, it doesn't strike me as a good idea.

However, if trends continue, there's going to come a time soon when apathy for democracy meets some level that elected politicians can't credibly govern, because so few people will have voted for them. Something must be done -but I suspect there are softer measures that would work better.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 7:28 pm

If it's simply to encourage civic responsibility, then I have no problem with it. If it's to favor a certain political party, then it's no different than attempts to suppress the vote.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 7:36 pm

I vote in every election anyway, and such a law would serve only to make the lines longer at the polling places, so compulsory voting would make mail-in ballots all the more attractive.

I say, "Let's have compulsory voting", and watch all of the slackers and traitors move to Australia or Brazil and we'll be rid of them, once and for all!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2015, 7:48 pm

will@rd wrote:
Fugu wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Then what media are they supposed to get their information from, if not CNN, network news, Time, Newsweek, etc? Something with a radical right slant like Fox, Breitbart, Red State, Limbaugh, or Savage would somehow provide a truer view of current events?
And as far as what you call "entitlement freebies" are concerned - what's wrong with wanting a government that actually does something for it's citizens? As opposed to doing nothing, or worse, going out of it's way to make people miserable.
And in closing - voting for someone only for their race? Is that a shot at the motivation for electing Barack Obama? While there were doubtlessly those who had, there were just as many - if not more - who voted against him because of his race.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

It is not as bad as it seems as one can got vote and not full anything out. This sends a strong message to the government that most people don't believe in it. This is what I do.