Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2015, 6:20 pm

Excerpt: "Mark Twain's sly sense of humor."
http://justnotsaid.blogspot.com/2011/12 ... drome.html

I enjoy some of the "modern-day Mark Twains" who offer that amusing, novel ways of viewing the world; regardless of whether or not these personalities have Aspergers!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:21 pm

I don't sense much Asperger's in Samuel Clemens.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2015, 6:30 pm

He definitely had a wry and unique perspective and didn't hesitate to speak his mind, but he could also be quite gregariously social and traveled extensively, engaged in many speaking and lecturing tours in between books, so I kind of doubt it. He doesn't strike me as the type to have suffered from anxiety attacks. He has always been a hero of mine, though. I love his sense of humor. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were among my favorite books as a kid, along with Joel Chandler Harris' Tales of Uncle Remus, which are also hilarious (although the idiom in which they're composed makes them rather a challenging read).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 8:12 am

I agree that you dont pick up an aspie vibe from Samuel Clemons.

But even if he were an aspie, if he were alive today he would probably be the first in line to write a blog making fun of people who do things like latch on to historic figures like Mark Twain, and project things onto them like them having aspergers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 8:23 am

Here wrote:
Did Mark Twain Have Aspergers?
We will never know, since Samual Clemens died before even the concept of Asperger's Syndrome was developed. Thus, speculation on this topic is pointless.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2015, 11:45 am

Fnord wrote:
Here wrote:
We will never know, since Samual Clemens died before even the concept of Asperger's Syndrome was developed. Thus, speculation on this topic is pointless.

This.

Neurology is even more complex than race or sexual orientation. How the heck am I supposed to detect "neurotypical" in one person and "aspie" in another? Incredibly illogical.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 2:53 pm

Hansgrohe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Here wrote:
This. Neurology is even more complex than race or sexual orientation. How the heck am I supposed to detect "neurotypical" in one person and "aspie" in another? Incredibly illogical.
How is anyone supposed to detect Asperger's Syndrome in someone who is dead?

It's even too stupid to be illogical.

Hansgrohe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2015, 5:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Hansgrohe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Here wrote:
This. Neurology is even more complex than race or sexual orientation. How the heck am I supposed to detect "neurotypical" in one person and "aspie" in another? Incredibly illogical.
How is anyone supposed to detect Asperger's Syndrome in someone who is dead?

It's even too stupid to be illogical.

I'm not a fan of RW, but I love this article:
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
Here wrote:

Is something pointless if it is fun?