Pope Francis has lunch with gay, transgender and HIV inmates

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:19 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3005469/Pope-Francis-asks-lunch-gay-transgender-HIV-suffering-prisoners-impromptu-trip-Naples.html

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 1:29 pm

Many people are cynical about the image that the Pope projects through the world's media, and accuse him of being little more than a consummate PR man for the Roman Catholic Church. It's true that he is cleaning up its tarnished reputation. But I think that what we are seeing is something extremely rare - a genuine man of God, a holy man in the true sense of the word.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 2:02 pm

I think he's trying to live it to the best of his ability and even drawing some political ire for some of his political ideas. It's true though - Roman Catholicism simply won't go over with a lot of people, no matter how well dressed, simply because it is what it is and cannot deny certain stances regarding church and biblical anathemas on certain things.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm

Yeah, Pope Frank continues to KICK ASS!

You can bet there will NEVER be another Jesuit elected Pope. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 10:48 am

I like Pope Francis myself.

I also liked John Paul II.

Perhaps, while John Paul II wasn't able to be as blunt as Pope Francis, it is possible that he enabled a Pope Francis to attain the Pontificate.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 2:18 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
Many people are cynical about the image that the Pope projects through the world's media, and accuse him of being little more than a consummate PR man for the Roman Catholic Church. It's true that he is cleaning up its tarnished reputation. But I think that what we are seeing is something extremely rare - a genuine man of God, a holy man in the true sense of the word.

He is kind of both though, it is difficult to deny that he is a populist. He also isn't saying anything many a politician has before. The differnce is they have to deliver to their supporters.

Perhaps there is something in being an inspiration, rather than a leader. As people have to change themselves. It is very important to have a consistent message therefore.

He is compassionate, with a backdrop of contrast. Were there isn't such a contrast, such compassion is not as remarkable, there are lot of people like that. There are still plenty of contradictions in this new church compassion.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 2:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Perhaps, while John Paul II wasn't able to be as blunt as Pope Francis, it is possible that he enabled a Pope Francis to attain the Pontificate.

Yes, that's very perceptive. In their different ways they are both outsiders: John-Paul II because he was the first non-Italian Pope, and initiated a trend that Benedikt XVI followed; Francis because he's the first non-European, perhaps an even greater challenge. Both also grew up under oppressive regimes, giving them an unusually keen sense of justice. But John-Paul II was more of a showman, fond of grand gestures, whereas Francis's popularity rests on his simplicity, his closeness to the people.

0_equals_true - Good point about his contradictions, I think it's one of the things that endears him to people, the fact that he has depth and substance, a flawed and very human quality about him.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

It is not true that John Paul II was the first non-Italian Pope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:P ... ationality

Pope John Paul presented like moderate when actually he was quite conservative and not that radical. Actually the reforms that were associated with his rein had already been instigated before his tenure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

I believe the last non-Italian Pope, before John Paul II, served about the 15th-16th Centuries.

Some of the main modern reforms were instigated by Vatican II, which was called by John XXIII, and continued by Paul VI. Paradoxically, Paul VI was rather conservative; whereas John XXIII was relatively progressive.

John Paul II continued the reforms. He was conservative about abortion and homosexuality, though.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 4:00 am

It's fair to say that all Popes are inherently conservative, it's in the nature of the pontifical role. The Cardinals wouldn't elect a liberal who might seek to change the doctrine of the Church. Rare, far-seeing individuals such as Francis may be progressive, but he isn't about to come down in favour of abortion or same-sex marriage; he's simply (and shrewdly) attempting to accommodate the wider views of society while preserving Church teachings. His much-vaunted initiatives over divorcees being able to take communion and priests being allowed to marry may seem daring to an ill-informed media and public, but both have precedents in the equally conservative Orthodox Church, which permits both while being a bastion of apostolic tradition.

Thanks, kraftiekortie and O-equals-true, for pointing out that there was one non-Italian Pope before John-Paul II, albeit a long time ago. Sorry, my mistake! And yes, John-Paul II was conservative about many things. Although much of his popularity stemmed from his role in helping overthrow Communism, he was very much a product of that system, and could be extremely autocratic.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 4:20 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
But I think that what we are seeing is something extremely rare - a genuine man of God, a holy man in the true sense of the word.

On what basis do you make this assertion?

How do you know his character, when all you can possible know of him is his public life?

chesterr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2015, 12:36 pm

We don't know his character, all his public life. :D

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 3:53 pm

Was the pope the only one wearing a dress?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 7:48 pm

Cash__ wrote:
Was the pope the only one wearing a dress?

I think his dresses are very pretty especially with his pointy hats.............oh...how...divine!! ! :P :P :P :P :P

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 4:30 pm

Even though I'm Catholic myself, I have to say that Pope Francis is certainly a more likeable pope than Pope Benedict.