You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 1 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 7:04 pm

You can NOT baptize a cat without it's full cooperation.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 8:56 pm

Acid reflux changes the Ph in saliva.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 9:51 am

i apparently still keep a bar of soap specialized for poison oak/ivy, that i got when i was 11.

מפלצת is pronounced mifletzet and not mefletzet.

discovering what kissin playing chopin's polonaise op.53 in a-flat sounds like.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

Nobody in the psychological community, knows what causes "love".

Strawberry5
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 4:56 pm

Today, I learnt that Alan Rickman is 69. :lol: So he's younger than my father. *

* Well, three years younger, anyroad.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 5:18 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I just thought of something..... It almost seems like I get hit-on, MORE, NOW----than I did, when I looked nice!! WTH??!?! !?!? I can remember, ever since I was a teenager, people saying stuff like: "Boy, they must be linin-up, for YOU!!"----and, they NEVER were----and I WANTED to date, THEN!! People said, when I looked nice, that it was probably because guys were intimidated by me----that they thought that they weren't good-enough, for me----or, that "I" wouldn't think they were good-enough, for ME----so, they wouldn't ask me out.....

It does tend to work that way, except with the most dense die-hards and narcissists.

Look like you're out of their league and they'll leave you alone. Look approachable and they'll approach.

This is why I wait for a clear signal that a woman has an interest in me (even though I'm inept at recognizing those types of signals). I would feel horrible if I thought I'd made her uncomfortable. Besides, being shot down leaves me feeling worthless and unlikeable for weeks.

If I learned anything new today, I haven't recognized what it was yet. :?

tinky2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Mar 2015, 7:32 pm

will@rd wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
I just thought of something..... It almost seems like I get hit-on, MORE, NOW----than I did, when I looked nice!! WTH??!?! !?!? I can remember, ever since I was a teenager, people saying stuff like: "Boy, they must be linin-up, for YOU!!"----and, they NEVER were----and I WANTED to date, THEN!! People said, when I looked nice, that it was probably because guys were intimidated by me----that they thought that they weren't good-enough, for me----or, that "I" wouldn't think they were good-enough, for ME----so, they wouldn't ask me out.....

It does tend to work that way, except with the most dense die-hards and narcissists.

Look like you're out of their league and they'll leave you alone. Look approachable and they'll approach.

This is why I wait for a clear signal that a woman has an interest in me (even though I'm inept at recognizing those types of signals). I would feel horrible if I thought I'd made her uncomfortable. Besides, being shot down leaves me feeling worthless and unlikeable for weeks.

If I learned anything new today, I haven't recognized what it was yet. :?

So, clearly I need to wear make up, put on my best hot damn dress, do my hair, and then the creeps will leave me alone.

Tangerines are very tasty.

Turnips take a long while to soften when boiled.

Wearing goggles is a fantastic idea when cutting shallots.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 6:38 pm

others learned today my greatest weakness: my extreme ticklishness, the sensitivity.

i learned that not everyone knows how to operate a blender and prevent cold smoothie from spilling everywhere.

andalusian dialects of spanish sometimes pronounce [lɔʰ] what latin americans would pronounce [los] or something similar.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 4:06 pm

According to folklore, iron is supposed to repel faeries (back when it was more commonly believed that faeries were bad or dangerous), because human blood is full of iron.

Which is unusual since leprechauns are often paired up with iron horseshoes since they're a symbol of good fortune. But leprechauns are actually a more modern creature of folklore that was originally meant to be a derogatory stereotype of Irish people.

Speaking of horseshoes, how you're supposed to hang it depends on where you live. Some cultures believe it needs to have the round part hanging down to collect the good luck inside it, and displaying it the other way will cause the luck to pour out, while other cultures believe it has to be hung with the points down so the luck will pour out onto people as they walk under them.

So if you believe is this kinda junk, how do you know if you're hanging the horseshoe the "right" way. It's the same as religion. Also I need to stop going on Wikipedia. :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 4:08 pm

A toasted turkey and pepper jack cheese on sourdough sandwich is a nice way to say "I love you".

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 8:44 am

will@rd wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

Yeah, that "out of their league" / "approachable" thing totally makes sense.

I'm sorry it makes you feel bad, for so long, if you get turned-down----I hate that I may have made someone feel that way; but, I think most of the men that hit on me, don't have any invested interest, if you know what I mean----meaning, they haven't invested alot of time / energy, in it.

I wish I could give you some advice on knowing those cues----but, I can't because..... Here's the thing..... I'm a really outgoing person----I like talking to people, being nice, and so-forth----but, so many people mistake that for other things----mostly, people (men AND women) take it that I'm easily fooled / a push-over----that they can "sell" me, ANYTHING!! Then, on top of that, men take it that I like them in "that way".

tinky2 wrote:
So, clearly I need to wear make up, put on my best hot damn dress, do my hair, and then the creeps will leave me alone.

Yep, it looks that way----but, it really sucks when all you want to do, is run-up to the corner store, for a gallon of milk, ya know? I did that about a week ago, and the cashier asked me for my phone number----UNbeLIEVable!!

Today I learned that Jon Cryer has almost NO hair----I was SHOCKED!! (I haven't watched his show, for YEARS ["Two and a Half Men"]). I guess that hair he has on the show, is a wig?

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 1:27 pm

My daughter seems to get more male attention when she is in very casual attire, running an errand in relaxation, at home wear than when she is dressed up.

I worked with a woman that was very casual, thrown together. Men came from all over the hospital (where I work) to talk to her. Her clothing was rather tight fitting and she was very flirtatious, though. That probably played a lot into it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 3:46 pm

Just when I think that I've convinced someone that their superstitions and pseudo-scientific beliefs have no validity, along comes a charismatic stranger who convinces them otherwise with just a few carefully-selected words.

People would rather believe a complex lie from a charming stranger than a simple truth from a grumpy old man like me.

The hell with 'em all. If they want to wallow in ignorance and lies for the rest of their lives, then so be it. They'd just better not ever complain to me that people treat them like they're stupid, because I will just laugh in their faces and tell them that they should've seen it coming.

I did not become successful by believing in superstitous nonsense, but by rigorous training and practice in science, technology, engineering, and maths.

Let's see how successful they become, while they believe in utter crap.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Mar 2015, 3:56 pm

Use less water when making 45cent noodles

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 5:19 pm

justkillingtime wrote:
My daughter seems to get more male attention when she is in very casual attire, running an errand in relaxation, at home wear than when she is dressed up.

See, that is just AMAZING to me! LOL Here I was doing everything I could think-of to be UNattractive, and it sort-of had an OPPOSITE effect! I can't believe, as old as I am, that I haven't learned this, before NOW!! Good Grief!

Strawberry5
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 3:56 am

Today, I learnt that one of my neighbours has Melina as her middle name.