Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2015, 11:16 pm

Apparently, there are no nurses' notes or labs. The space for nurses' notes were all blank, so that wasn't too helpful.

The psychiatrist there diagnosed me with personality disorder NOS; R/O borderline personality disorder; R/O schizotypal personality disorder.

He said at discharge that my judgment and insight were poor and that my prognosis was "guarded due to chronicity."

Well, both of my outpatient doctors disagree; my psychologist thinks I have ASD, while my psychiatrist thinks I have schizotypal personality disorder and is working to prevent a repeat of the (rather violent) psychotic episode I had at age 14.

For some reason, in the past few months, it seems less likely now that I will develop psychosis. I have an understanding doctor who knows there is a vulnerability there and has me on 800 mg/day of quietiapine to prevent a relapse. I have a psychologist who I can see easily if there's an emergency. And I myself have been keeping my eyes out and gathering as much information about my vulnerability as I can.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2015, 10:40 pm

beneficii wrote:
Apparently, there are no nurses' notes or labs. The space for nurses' notes were all blank, so that wasn't too helpful.

The psychiatrist there diagnosed me with personality disorder NOS; R/O borderline personality disorder; R/O schizotypal personality disorder.

He said at discharge that my judgment and insight were poor and that my prognosis was "guarded due to chronicity."

Well, both of my outpatient doctors disagree; my psychologist thinks I have ASD, while my psychiatrist thinks I have schizotypal personality disorder and is working to prevent a repeat of the (rather violent) psychotic episode I had at age 14.

For some reason, in the past few months, it seems less likely now that I will develop psychosis. I have an understanding doctor who knows there is a vulnerability there and has me on 800 mg/day of quietiapine to prevent a relapse. I have a psychologist who I can see easily if there's an emergency. And I myself have been keeping my eyes out and gathering as much information about my vulnerability as I can.

By definition...at least as stated in the DSV IV...I'm not sure about the DSM 5, psychosis excludes one from a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome.

Concerning schizophrenia, though you didn't mention it specifically but I thought I would comment anyway, a study was released not too long ago that identified 8 different types with varying degrees of preventability, ranging from completely preventable to not preventable at all. I believe the one which was thought to be not preventable at all is the one where sufferers exhibit what is called "word salad" where they ramble sentences of word combinations that make no sense.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 12:46 am

If the psychologist knows you best, go with that. They are less likely to suffer from tunnel vision than psychiatrists - many of the latter function as hammers looking for a nail..they never diagnose anyone as "normal" and pathologise everything. They never point out the strengths people have. It's always "find the pathology there must be one somewhere if the person is here". So please don't let their biased opinion affect you in any serious way. And in your own personal life is there a friend who really knows you well and who is trustworthy? If so, he or she may have more insight into you as a person and your strengths and weaknesses. You are a person, B., not a walking diagnosis. I think if I was psychiatrist (heaven forbid) I would probably diagnose most people with unhappiness...

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2015, 3:09 pm

Before my husband was diagnosed with Autism, he was diagnosed with schizoid typical personality disorder.

From the two psychiatrist and the psychologist, it's easy to tell the two apart.

Schizoids have no problem with social interaction, they just have no use for it. They can play the social game (aren't confused by it), but it's a huge who the f*ck cares. My husband never had psychotic episodes.

He husband cares about me and our daughter. That would not be happening if he was schizoid.

My husband tries to connect with people and he wants to connect. The Autism makes it hard sometimes, and that's when he withdrawls.

So one person is trying to play the social game, can not do it, then ops out.
The other could play the social game, has no problem negotiating the rules if chooses to, but has no desire at all.

Both people are bailing on social interaction, but for entirely different reasons.

Canadian1911
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2015, 11:16 pm

My highschool thought I had psychosis, my psychiatrist re-confirmed ASD.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 11:31 pm

beneficii wrote:

WOOT! THREE personality disorders?! :wtg: :hail: :cheers: You win first place! From what time period are these records?

Tawaki wrote:
So one person is trying to play the social game, can not do it, then ops out.
The other could play the social game, has no problem negotiating the rules if chooses to, but has no desire at all.

Both people are bailing on social interaction, but for entirely different reasons.

Exactly. The former is why I present as a schizoid.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 8:12 am

Chronos wrote:
By definition...at least as stated in the DSV IV...I'm not sure about the DSM 5, psychosis excludes one from a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome.

This is not true in cases where the Asperger's developed first.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 8:14 am

B19 wrote:
If the psychologist knows you best, go with that. They are less likely to suffer from tunnel vision than psychiatrists - many of the latter function as hammers looking for a nail..they never diagnose anyone as "normal" and pathologise everything. They never point out the strengths people have. It's always "find the pathology there must be one somewhere if the person is here". So please don't let their biased opinion affect you in any serious way. And in your own personal life is there a friend who really knows you well and who is trustworthy? If so, he or she may have more insight into you as a person and your strengths and weaknesses. You are a person, B., not a walking diagnosis. I think if I was psychiatrist (heaven forbid) I would probably diagnose most people with unhappiness...

My psychiatrist has known me since I was 13 years old, though off and on. His office visits are a bit more in-depth than those of other psychiatrists; for example, he schedules me for 30-minute sessions as opposed to just 15-minute sessions.

My psychologist has known me since 2013 and I recently posed this question to him and he thinks that there is validity in the schizotypal diagnosis.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 8:15 am

starkid wrote:
beneficii wrote:

WOOT! THREE personality disorders?! :wtg: :hail: :cheers: You win first place! From what time period are these records?

It was late December of last year.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 7:52 am

I don't care that much anymore what psychiaries dx me with in the past (I don't go there anymore, I just makes everything even worse). Most of it is pullshit or just copy and past of what my local psychiatrist dx me with. I once had a talk in the psychiatry why they denied me my diagnosis of Transsexualism (we use the ICD-10) in the past for over 4 years(! !!). The talk was after my transsexualism was legally recognised via name change and so on. The doctor of the psychiatry I had the talk with said:
"well I had to diagnose something, I never had a transsexual patient before" and "it's your fault when you come to us". 8O
:roll:

Seriously, listen to your current psychiatrist, he knows you best.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2015, 9:48 am

By the way:
What does the R/O stand for? Doesn't it mean "ruled out"? :?