Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

In recent years, feminism is increasingly derided. What best explains this?
Feminism is associated with certain political factions, which the opposing factions seek to undermine by demonising feminism. 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
As society becomes more sedentary and internet bound, culture bubbles tend to polarise opinion and isolate opinions from the influences of real life which would tend to make a persons perspective of feminism more nuanced and appreciative of the good that feminists do. 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
As society becomes more sedentary and internet bound, self esteem plummets, and with it the likelihood of decent relationships. This provides fertile ground for MRA's and stupid feminist ideologies to thrive and feed off each other. Both serve to turn the public against feminism in general. 8%  8%  [ 9 ]
"Feminism" is often used as a marketing veneer that aims to obscure certain horrific realities. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The weak minded demonise feminism because they want the assistance of society in re-subjugating women. 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Many feminists filter ideas through a feminist ideological filter, thereby trivialising and obscuring important information. 13%  13%  [ 14 ]
Feminists are ever expanding the definition of rape and aberrant behaviour to include things like flirtation, and this provides a convenient avenue for the character assassination of anybody, including ideological opponents (see elevator gate). 20%  20%  [ 22 ]
Feminist stereotypes of men and women cripple relationships with toxic preconceptions that seldom correspond with reality. 19%  19%  [ 21 ]
Because it takes very little effort to write a feminist polemic and find a great deal of success doing that, the bar is set incredibly low. Idiots who do this create a lot of bad press for the feminists who actually have something valuable to say. 15%  15%  [ 16 ]
Something else. 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 108

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 10:49 pm

Feminism has many definitions, some of which, most people in western societies would tend to agree with. What best accounts for the large backlash against feminism?

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 23 Mar 2015, 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thewrite1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2015, 11:00 pm

The backlash comes from misinformation and extremism. The misinformation comes from 1.) people who oppose feminism and thus create a smear campaign against it and 2.) people misinterpreting what real feminists preach. The extremism comes from people who claim to be feminists but are really man-haters in disguise who spit out hateful things against men. Since we live in a society that listens to the loudest people rather than the smartest, people see the words of these so-called 'feminists' and assume that they apply to real feminists as well.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 11:01 pm

thewrite1 wrote:
The backlash comes from misinformation and extremism. The misinformation comes from 1.) people who oppose feminism and thus create a smear campaign against it and 2.) people misinterpreting what real feminists preach. The extremism comes from people who claim to be feminists but are really man-haters in disguise who spit out hateful things against men. Since we live in a society that listens to the loudest people rather than the smartest, people see the words of these so-called 'feminists' and assume that they apply to real feminists as well.

^This

/thread

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 11:08 pm

I would say that it's because the loudest voices in feminism at the moment belong to the stick in the mud privilege checking 'your favorite movie/music/game is "problematic"' variety of feminist that those outside of that particular ideological bubble find supremely annoying. I treat them exactly like I treat Jehovah's Witnesses; with an eye rolling lack of seriousness.

(Please, spare me any comments about dismissing a struggle for equality, the feminists I'm describing are not MLK marching in Selma, they're Al Sharpton starting a riot in Crown Heights at best)

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 11:14 pm

I've never met a woman who believed in gender equality who believed she needed to be a feminist.
I think we should just call it what we should call it, gender equality advocacy, feminism as a movement is outdated.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Mar 2015, 12:44 am

SJWs are extremists, radical feminists can't be taken seriously, those are the voices that are the loudest. Rational feminists don't really need to express themselves anymore as equality for the most part has been achieved and then some so the only one's still screaming are the crazies that think we should pay for abortions and believe in insane things like stare rape.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:42 am

Nebogipfel wrote:
What best accounts for the large backlash against feminism?

Its adherents. To clarify, the "backlash" is against feminists, not feminism. There is certainly a case to be made, however, that feminism is no longer required in any country where women's equality is a matter of legal fact.

If you're a feminist who simply advocates for equality, then brilliant. Do yourself and the rest of us a favour and start referring to yourself as an egalitarian. The (apparent minority) of 'equity feminists' serve only to legitimise the hateful dogma of the female supremacist nutjob majority.

If you're a feminist who thinks it's appropriate to revert to calling a man "misogynist" for holding an opinion you disagree with, you're probably just a mostly harmless idiot.

If you're a feminist who worships at the Church of Patriarchy Theory and gibbers about such dogmatic nonsense as "privilege", "mansplaining" or "the male gaze", you've already abandoned equality and taken your first steps on the road to fascist social engineering.

If you're a feminist who takes it a step further, generalises about human beings based on their race, gender and skin colour, makes individual judgements based on falsely presented statistical data and makes arguments such as "you don't know what it's like for <insert demographic>" whilst simultaneously telling someone of a different race or gender what you believe it's like for them, you are categorically the worst kind of bigoted scumbag.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 5:58 am

Much of the problem lies in the fact that there is no longer a single definition of 'feminism' (if there ever was). As a concept it has been misappropriated by a whole range of special interest groups, each with their own particular and often vengeful personal agenda, and whose aim seems to be to polarise society even more than it is already. This is what is hated.

If we define feminism as a movement that seeks complete equality between males and females in all areas of life, yet which takes account of and accepts biological differences, then I think the majority of people would go along with that. The trouble is ...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:33 am

All it takes is just a few shrill, man-bashing, misandrous women to call themselves 'feminists' to make all of the real feminists look bad.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2015, 11:26 pm

Nebogipfel wrote:
Feminism has many definitions, some of which, most people in western societies would tend to agree with. What best accounts for the large backlash against feminism?

Well for one, feminism is no longer a movement for equality between the sexes but an ideology and a worldview that nowadays is fostering a sense of entitlement among western women. It teaches women to demand respect BUT does not teach them to be accountable for their actions. Unfortunately, many self-proclaimed feminists aren't satisfied with equality; they believe that women should have more privileges than men even though they don't openly admit it but actions speak louder than words. And to make matters worse, feminism is no longer a monolithic ideology with a clearly stated goal but has now fragmented into competing schools of thought. Perhaps this is because most of the battles for women's rights have already been won and the only real issue is the "pay gap" and that there has yet to be a woman president of the USofA.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:35 pm

feminism is just advocating for equality of the sexes. i am a female feminist happily married to male feminist.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2015, 3:38 am

cathylynn wrote:
feminism is just advocating for equality of the sexes.

In theory this is the case....But actions speak louder than words! Many of the things that modern feminists advocate for are beneficial to women at the expense of men. And there is no longer a consensus about just *exactly* what promotes equality between the sexes because for many a feminist, equal rights under the law just won't cut it. They seek broader changes in society and in peoples attitudes that favor the female gender.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2015, 5:32 am

Because it tends not to be about equality (typical 'net opinions anyway), rather wanting to remove things certain people dislike, and using flawed rationale to create an affirmative action, which is inherently bigoted (see: the so-called wage inequality, even though there isn't any; just because women don't take specific jobs doesn't mean there's inequality).

OniKing
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Mar 2015, 12:01 pm

In my opinion people like Anita Sarkeesian do not really believe the ideas they preach, but are building up a following by giving people something to direct their frustration at and giving them something to feel morally superior/redpilled about. This creates a psychological trap, as people become more invested in these ideas cognitive dissonance makes it harder for them to extract themselves.
Alex Jones and Bill O'Reilly are other examples of this type of person. It's a career.
I highly respect people like this and see them as intellectually superior.

Lazar_Kaganovich
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2015, 8:57 pm

OniKing wrote:
In my opinion people like Anita Sarkeesian do not really believe the ideas they preach, but are building up a following by giving people something to direct their frustration at and giving them something to feel morally superior/redpilled about. This creates a psychological trap, as people become more invested in these ideas cognitive dissonance makes it harder for them to extract themselves.
Alex Jones and Bill O'Reilly are other examples of this type of person. It's a career.
I highly respect people like this and see them as intellectually superior.

If you respect them, that's your loss. But they are NOT intellectually superior and you seeing them that way shows me that the way you see things is skewed by your emotions and doesn't correspond with reality. These people are bullsh*t artists who have developed a cult following because they are persuasive people who know how to talk a good line and play to certain peoples insecurities so that by following them they are somehow questioning authority and seeming smarter than others.........All in vain.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 10:13 pm

Because many younger women and their organizations are now acting on feminist ideals.

Companies, institutions and others are regularly protested and harassed for not doing enough for women while still supporting men.

Women regularly protest and run campaigns against companies who have more men than women as employees.
The most recent case of Tim Cook of Apple being forced to explain why the majority of Apple employees are men.
The women rights people are demanding a federal investigation into Apple for discriminating against women in the hiring process.
They have also sued Apple in court for actively favoring men in hiring.
They have also forced Apple to agree to increase the number of women by certain percentage by 2020.
The campaign is mainly being waged on social media and through protests.
They are also trying to create a global Apple boycott.

Women have filed Title IX suits against colleges left and right stating that claiming that mens clubs and programs are greater in number than womens clubs and programs. These Title IX suits have asked the federal government to disband this mens programs because it is sexist and antifeminist.
This includes sports, which colleges are regularly cutting mens sports in order to prevent women from filing Title IX.
Women view mens sports as sexist and unfair to women, demanding the money and resources be used exclusively women programs.

It's not unusual for an employer to be sued by a woman claiming sexism and Title IX violations, when said woman doesn't get the job.
The number of lawsuits from women suing employers because they didn't get the job are increasing every year by a large amount.

It's quite common for women to take issue when their daughters aren't doing well in school or if the teacher helped a boy student, raising hell with the school board and administration (if not outright suing).

Hell I was even told during my K-12 years my teachers that they wouldn't help me with something because the girls came first...
Many of my teachers regularly were "corrected" for not spending enough time on the girl students.
This led to the girls getting the clear majority of the teachers time, while us boys were told to figure it out on our own.

My 10 years in college, we had to go over gender equality in the very first class of every term (3 different schools).
It was always made clear that if the professor spent time helping the guys, it wasn't at the expense of the women.
If any woman felt the professor was favoring men over women, the proper procedure and department was listed in the syllabus.
It's not unusual for professors to have sexism complaints filed against them, this day in age.

The American women have been becoming more radicalized since the 1970s, which has been noted by states and federal government.

My mother always told me that I would be hired over the most qualified women just because I have penis, because that's how America works....