Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:08 am

Whats the difference between a girl just being 'friendly and being interested in comforting/ befriending you' and being romantically interested?

Last edited by Jamesy on 24 Mar 2015, 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 3:14 am

Jamesy wrote:
Whats the difference between a girl just being 'friendly and being interested in befriending you' and being romantically interested?

For me it is pretty simple. If she is romantically interested she would participate in flirting, and I would typically prefer not to talk to her initially. If she is a friend I'll talk to her from time to time as I have something interesting to talk about and I will not flirt with her.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 7:39 pm

I'm not convinced there is a universal way to tell, unfortunately, although I would say that with me I was definitely more nervous if I liked a guy, wanting to date him, v. was just having a friendly conversation. So it was easy for guys I liked to misinterpret my actions as not being that interested. Other women may act the opposite - pulling away not from being nervous, but to not send an "interested" signal.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 9:35 pm

Good question. It's really hard to judge other people's intentions, because everybody has their own way of showing interest. Sometimes, people will flirt with you, when they aren't even interested in you romantically.

The only way to get a good idea of their interest level, is to observe how they act around other people (especially the opposite sex), then compare that to how they act around you. If they act different around you, what do they do different? Are they more nervous? Are they nicer? Do they touch you more? Do they pay more attention to you, etc.?

Diningroom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

It's hard to say -- everybody defines it differently. Plus, if you don't know the person well enough to know their "baseline" --some people are tactile by nature, so getting a warm hug from them is, um, no biggie, since they're like that with everyone. A warm hug from a non-tactile by nature person is a way bigger deal.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 1:57 am

Very easy.

If she initiates talking to you, If she initiates texting you and if she suggests to go to places, then yeah she's romantically interested.

And if she stops doing those suddenly, with no apparent reason (like you know you behaved well and there was no argument happened) it usually means she started doing them with another, better guy.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 2:06 am

I'm trying to figure it out myself! It gets confusing.

Basically, if she is romantically interested in you, she will often try to initiate things like the other reply said.

Next time be very careful to examine her behavior.

Does she ever seem nervous around you (nervous signs = shakiness, trouble talking clearly, playing with hair, blushing, having trouble looking you into the eyes, sweating, etc.)

Does she ever try to touch you? Like maybe hold your hand or anything else?

Does she ever talk to you first when she sees you?

Does she try to talk to you online?

Etc.

And yes, do watch how she acts around other people and try to figure out if you are treated diffrently or not.

ThinkingMonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2015, 1:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Very easy.

If she initiates talking to you, If she initiates texting you and if she suggests to go to places, then yeah she's romantically interested.

Sorry to intervene.

I do not know about this. Every time this happens(including mild touches etc.) to me and I ask the girl out, it turns out that they just wanted to be friends.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 2:27 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Only if she has flirted /tried to flirt with you before that. In the absence of that, chances are she has you in the friend-zone.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
And if she stops doing those suddenly, with no apparent reason (like you know you behaved well and there was no argument happened) it usually means she started doing them with another, better guy.

Could also be that she has gotten tired of giving you hints and that you haven't reciprocated enough.