Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 6:51 am

http://www.cracked.com/article_21962_6- ... utism.html

I assume a lot of you don't like Cracked, but I was curious as to what your opinion on this is.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 7:21 am

I can see why they say what they say, but personally I am almost exactly like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory (minus the well paying secure job and four friends). I guess that whatever they say about autism, some people will agree with it and others won't due to individual natures.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2015, 11:13 am

Good intentions and a lot of good information overall that would not normally get to people.

Biggest flaw in an article intended to knock down stereotypes they stereotype "low functioning".

Quote:
Autism has robbed them of any chance at a normal life. You can't look at a child who lives trapped inside of their own head and not want to do something about it.

Why even knock Autism Speaks if you use language like that.

No acknowledgment of coping skills of adults who "pass". No acknowledgment of financial issues in self diagnosis. The article leaves the impression that misunderstanding of autism by professionals was something that was occurring 11 years ago and not a huge current issue.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 8:10 pm

I agree with most of it, but also point out that many of the day-to-day issues were left out, and would have preferred them over all the pop-culture stuff. I'm pretty sure most NTs know that pop-culture sacrifice realism for the sake of entertainment.

Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 6:28 am

I agree with it a lot, short of #5. Sheldon is undiagnosed and they don't try to sell him as being autistic, and pop culture is notorious for using the most common stereotype for whatever character they make anyway..

genesis529
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2015, 10:24 am

Every time I go to cracked I get a virus.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 10:31 pm

i like cracked. personally i'd like to have a better time understanding sarcasm, or distinguishing jocular language in general but it's not my biggest issue.

since we're so diverse, some will identify more and some won't. number two made me most curious, having an interest in language and being a conlanger (in progress) :idea: i agree with others here that i would like to see more the daily issues 'uncovered', coping too.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.