Good tips for NT's in a relationship with an aspie.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 3:49 am

Expect weirdness geekyness, stimming getting excited easily, hyperactivity immaturity and being repetitive we cannot help it we try to but it cannot be helped!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 2:45 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
It is not a bible you know, I expect further filtering for DSM6.

It's obvious what they're trying to do.

Changes are usually based on actual research. I doubt that they'd try and remove AS altogether if there are people with AS symptoms who need genuine disability support, which there are.

Anyway, I'd rather get back to the original topic of the thread. Why don't we talk about the tips mentioned in the article?

AspieAnnie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Mar 2015, 8:44 am

Hi all (I'm new, be gentle!).

I've noticed a lot of negativity in this thread. I wanted to share a positive experience.

Although me (aspie) and my boyfriend (NT) have had our share of problems especially in the early day's (when I wasn't diagnosed and we weren't used to each other), he adamantly states that I am by a million miles the best girlfriend he has ever had.

He is a good looking man and has had 12 partners before me, all NT. And women, especially tarty types, used to (and still) flirt with him a lot (very annoying for me). But to summarize; all but 1 of his NT partners hurt him. This ranged from trying to trick him into getting them pregnant to 'secure' his income, to manipulating and lying to him and cheating. He was used in myriad different ways.

When we met (just friends) the result was that he really didn't trust women anymore and that made him a player as he had begun to see them as 'others' instead of 'people'.

We became very good friends through a shared hobby and he appreciated my honesty, directness, social simplicity. Luckily as I am completely incapable of flirting, manipulation and make little effort to paint and polish myself into any kind of 'sexy', he always saw me as a person and an equal, and treated me as such. Ultimately we fell head over heals for each other completely naturally, with no forcing it or flirting.

There are happy AS/NT endings people. :oops: :) :heart: Keep your chin up x

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 8:32 pm

That is a very uplifting and encouraging story, AspieAnnie.

Unfortunately my NT hubby doesn't see me that way (well, he does see me as the best gf he ever had and the only one he ever wanted to commit to).

Instead of honesty, directness and social simplicity, he sees rudeness, mannerlessness and bluntness. Because he sees me as a very intelligent person in most ways, he doesn't understand how I can be so clueless about social interaction. So he thinks I am being manipulative, pretending not to know stuff that seems obvious to him, and he accuses me of flirting and cheating when he's mad. I don't know how to flirt, but I don't know how to deflect flirting from others either. He wants me to paint and polish myself and pretend to be something I don't know how to be.

Sometimes it's like this. Sometimes he's so wonderful and supportive and accepting and understanding I fall in love with him all over again, harder than before. But there's always that reservation that I know I'm going to do something that makes no sense to him, and I never know when he's going to lose patience with my autistic traits.

Sometimes he tells people I'm autistic--but then the person he told that to will be more supportive than he is, and I wonder if the only reason he mentioned it is because I embarrassed him by doing something that a NT wife would know better. Sunday afternoon he told me he was proud of his wife, and she didn't have to do anything special to try to fit in. Monday night I freaked out a little bit right before bedtime, and he won't listen to my explanations of what would help me bring my head back around to where I can function without flinching at every unexpected noise, sight and movement.

I can't tell anymore when he is saying what he really thinks, when he is saying what he thinks I want to hear, and when he is making up something to say just to get a desired response from me (or from others in regards to me). And then I realize that I'm probably over thinking it, overanalyzing and assuming that everything is about me when it isn't.

I'm just so :? confused :? all the time.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Alienhybrid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2015, 4:30 am

AspieAnnie wrote:

I've noticed a lot of negativity in this thread. I wanted to share a positive experience.

Although me (aspie) and my boyfriend (NT) have had our share of problems especially in the early day's (when I wasn't diagnosed and we weren't used to each other), he adamantly states that I am by a million miles the best girlfriend he has ever had.

He is a good looking man and has had 12 partners before me, all NT. And women, especially tarty types, used to (and still) flirt with him a lot (very annoying for me). But to summarize; all but 1 of his NT partners hurt him. This ranged from trying to trick him into getting them pregnant to 'secure' his income, to manipulating and lying to him and cheating. He was used in myriad different ways.

When we met (just friends) the result was that he really didn't trust women anymore and that made him a player as he had begun to see them as 'others' instead of 'people'.

We became very good friends through a shared hobby and he appreciated my honesty, directness, social simplicity. Luckily as I am completely incapable of flirting, manipulation and make little effort to paint and polish myself into any kind of 'sexy', he always saw me as a person and an equal, and treated me as such. Ultimately we fell head over heals for each other completely naturally, with no forcing it or flirting.

you story is a common theme Annie, dont let this place get you down :heart:

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 12:12 pm

AspieAnnie wrote:

I know that there are positive stories. The negativity comes from fear of stigmatisation. Part of the reason why I posted this thread though is to defer away from the negativity.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:47 am

Ugh I read the comments and lot of them are heartbreaking. I don't think they are wrong for how they feel and some of them sounded like they were not compatible with their partner and I read one post by someone who sounded like she had a great aspie guy and the only reason why she left him was due to lack of sex so I saw that as them not being compatible. It doesn't make her wrong or bad. I don't doubt an aspie can cause damage and I sure hope this isn't the majority. But the comments were still horrifying. It makes us all sound like charming and manipulative people and sociopaths. Then I have had enough of the comments.

It makes me fear to tell mine if I were dating again but he would find out anyway even if he wouldn't know what it is, he would just notice something. I think either way would lead to a break up anyway if it happened so it's a no win situation.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 1:49 pm

but reality is people with bad experiences will seek out every site related to aspie relationships and rant about theirs, while those with wonderful experiences are too busy enjoying them to do so.

same with reviews, you get way more bad reviews than good. heck i love a lot of the things i own but i've never reviewed them but when one is bad I go and complain about it.

then add aspies are just people, some bad and some good, and compatibility issues that would happen in any relationship. like expecting your so to be something they aren't.

but yeah I probably will never tell any girl i date about being a aspie cause no matter where they google those same people will be there ranting. they go to all the sites and rant. I don't get it. same women don't do so about their exs who were nt and likely did the same stuff. but label someone and they feel they need to go on a crusade.

wouldn't want a possible gf being scared off because of that stuff. not that I'll ever have one

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 3:27 pm

Except when people leave reviews about stores, products, places, etc. you see good and bad ones but with conditions you do not.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 3:33 pm

Well, I've now noticed that one of the ranters replied to the anonymous comment I left there on the 24 March (it's the first one that you see at the moment when you go to the comment section of the article but if not, you can scroll down the page, all the comments have date and time tags). So, now I've responded to this person in detail. Tell me what you think.

Northeastern292
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 6:11 pm

I've always revealed my ASD diagnosis. The girls I've dated haven't really care. Most of the time it's a "I couldn't really tell that you're on the spectrum." I've told people I'm on the spectrum and they couldn't tell.

At times it has backfired, but those relationships wouldn't have worked out regardless.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Except when people leave reviews about stores, products, places, etc. you see good and bad ones but with conditions you do not.

yep. off topic, um i've noticed a lot of good reviews are day one. they opened it nd it seems good. not a lot of 6 months later except for those who have problems. If I did review something It'd be after using it for a while. my problem is I don't know what to say and how to word them I prefer just simply 1-5 star or similar ratings.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:28 pm

Jono wrote:
Well, I've now noticed that one of the ranters replied to the anonymous comment I left there on the 24 March (it's the first one that you see at the moment when you go to the comment section of the article but if not, you can scroll down the page, all the comments have date and time tags). So, now I've responded to this person in detail. Tell me what you think.

nice. i think its also over looked how much aspies have to adapt and change for nts. its always viewed oneside that the nt has to change everything for the aspie. cause well nts are selfish and see the world as their way or the highway so they don't think they should have to adapt but instead everyone else should adapt to them.

don't see this any different then if you in a relationship with person in a wheelchair, or blind or death. I imagine you'd have to adapt non verbal communication with blind, and verbal with death.

main issue I have is they assume we are all alike, rather than like everyone we are all different. nts adapt for other nts in relationships, but put a label on it and now its bad to do so.

the most common problem brought up is touch/sex. well the lack of it. I'm one who needs those things, so I myself couldn't be with an aspie who doesn't like or do those. but wait we're all the same so shouldn't i not like those. sure theres nts who don't like being touched/sex too. I know a few.

seems to me a lot of the issues have nothing to do with aspies but just people differences in general. but society believes in getting everything one's way and not adapting and when stuff gets tough just quit.

they call it the ME generation for a reason.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 5:15 pm

sly279 wrote:
Jono wrote:

nice. i think its also over looked how much aspies have to adapt and change for nts. its always viewed oneside that the nt has to change everything for the aspie. cause well nts are selfish and see the world as their way or the highway so they don't think they should have to adapt but instead everyone else should adapt to them.

don't see this any different then if you in a relationship with person in a wheelchair, or blind or death. I imagine you'd have to adapt non verbal communication with blind, and verbal with death.

main issue I have is they assume we are all alike, rather than like everyone we are all different. nts adapt for other nts in relationships, but put a label on it and now its bad to do so.

the most common problem brought up is touch/sex. well the lack of it. I'm one who needs those things, so I myself couldn't be with an aspie who doesn't like or do those. but wait we're all the same so shouldn't i not like those. sure theres nts who don't like being touched/sex too. I know a few.

seems to me a lot of the issues have nothing to do with aspies but just people differences in general. but society believes in getting everything one's way and not adapting and when stuff gets tough just quit.

they call it the ME generation for a reason.

I don't why it's overlooked. I think it's because to NT's, it looks like the things we're doing are trivial, so they think that we're not making an effort to do them because they're so basic to them. Meanwhile, over on the ASPartner's forum, they not only don't acknowledge their partner's efforts but they even mock them for it, like that joke thread where they make fun of aspies for "wanting a medal" for doing "basic things".