Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 7:40 am

I'm a fairly small, skinny guy myself, at 5 ft 9, and 130 pounds. I've always been quite skinny with a waist size of 28, and a chest size of about 40. I've gained about 150 pounds in the past 5 years, much of it can be attributed to exersizing. I can still fit into the acid-washed jeans I've had since high-school. Many of the shirts I had in high school though won't fit anymore becaue I've gotten larger in the shoulders

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 7:44 am

6'2" - 250 pounds.

I like food. Hard to like food and be skinny.

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 8:23 am

I'm 6'0" - or 183cm as we say in Orstrayia - but I haven't weighed myself in a long time so all I can tell you is that a lot of people I know have told me that they worry that I'm too thin. The concern is justified given that I've only just come out of over a year of extreme financial difficulty which meant that I was eating nowhere near properly.

However not only am I earning again but I also no longer drink, and have taken the apparently quite common step of replacing it in the short term with over-eating. No one has yet commented that I'm putting on weight - but I'm starting to have problems getting into my "skinny" clothes...

You got to ask for it

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 12:11 pm

I'm 5'2" or 5'3" and I weigh about 116 pounds with a body mass index of roughly 21. Its not skinny its just right.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 5:20 pm

I think my skinniness results from my eating habits too. I have never been a big fan of sugary foods. Sometimes the taste is just too intense and sweet. The biggest issue though is the way they make me feel. I'll get a sugar buzz for about an hour or so after eating something sweet...after that, I'm lethargic and sleepy. I avoid caffene for the same reasons.

To combat this roller coaster, I usually eat small meals frequently, every 3-4 hours I munch on something. I ususally eat stuff that digests slowly, to keep from going up and down highs and lows, things with complex carbs, or proteins. I try to avoid things like breads and candies that have have 'fast sugars' when I do eat.

The biggest problem is attempting to find low or no sugar drinks, especially ones that don't have some sort of artifical sweetener. Fruit juices are usually good, but I must watch the labeling! Many of the juices out there don't contain 100% juice, and instead have sugar water as filler. These "fake juices" can frequently have more sugar that soda pops!! ! We've got a Diamond Springs water cooler at the office, and I'm always dipping into that!

I guess I'm doing something right with the diet...I did it not because of any Adkins fad (in fact I was doing it even before Adkins was around) It was just something I did do keep my mind clear and sharp during school and work. The biggest challenge was those 1 PM lunch periods in school. It was a LONG time for me between that 7AM breakfast and lunch!

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2006, 6:14 pm

6' 0" and 120 lbs.

VERY skinny

shivanataraja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2006, 7:22 pm

I'm a skinny one as well (5'11", about 9st (60kg-ish?))... however, i've known people with suspected Aspie traits who were fat, so i don't think it's a 100% correlation... however, i *do* think that there are probably physical traits which are genetically linked to AS (but that not *all* people with AS may also have) - for instance, hypermobile or otherwise unusual joints, weakly expressed secondary sexual characteristics (relatively little facial hair, or small breasts, etc), thick hair/lack of male pattern baldness, and a particular, sort of long/angular facial shape...

I think fast metabolism could possibly be one of those features, or it could also be fidgeting/stimming burning up calories (IIRC, studies have shown that fat people are more likely to be able to actually stay still, whereas thin people tend to move about, even very small movements such as shifting position while sitting at a desk or watching TV, all the time... I certainly find it almost impossible to ever sit or stand absolutely still)... also, i read somewhere recently that the brain is one of the biggest users of energy, and so being stressed can burn off calories just by the brain being "overactive", so typically high levels of stress in AS may play a role as well...

I think there's also a possibility that being such a picky eater (and consequently eating such an unbalanced diet and relatively little food overall) as a child may have affected my skeletal and muscular development (much as Katharine Hepburn was so skinny all her life because of the malnutrition she suffered as a child in wartime Holland, IIRC)...

On the other hand i think i definitely have metabolism issues which exacerbate my AS sensory issues and vice versa, particularly when it comes to hunger, tiredness and cold...

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 7:24 pm

I am 5'10" and 185 - 190 lbs.

I will destroy you all! AAAAARRGH!

Ghosthunter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 10:07 pm

Hmmmmm? I am 39, weigh 175 to 170 depending on the scale. I am
6" and don't think I am fat? I sometiimes do!

Sincerely,
Ghosthunter

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 10:24 pm

I've been thin my whole life. I attribute it to several things. One is that I cannot eat simple carbohydrates on an empty stomach or I get nauseated. So that cuts out all junk food. Also I've always been active. And when I get anxious, I lose my appetite. I can't stand the feeling of tight clothing so when I gain a few pounds I immediately eat less to feel more comfortable.

alex
Developer
Developer

06 Mar 2006, 11:00 pm

aylissa wrote:
I've been thin my whole life.

I can relate to that. I attribute it to my active lifestyle, too.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 8:17 am

I am about average, maybe a bit chubbier. I have the ability to leg press 400lb weights 7 reps and generally stronger and taller then average man. I probably don’t look much like a stereotypical Aspie and I certainly don’t dress like one.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 9:27 am

5'2''- 5'3'' 122 lbs. The only time I've ever gained weight was when I was taking chemistry, working at Dairy Queen, and had marching band at the same time. Also developed an eye twitch back then.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2006, 10:08 am

All throughout highschool, I was at 6'1" and bewtween 135-145 lbs.

Then sometime in my early twenties my metabolizim came to a screeching halt and now I'm at 195.....but way to much of it is body fat. I did get back down to 157 by running on a tread mill, but it was pounding my knees into oblivion so I stopped.....and gained it all back.

I'd like to be a solid 170, with like 15% body fat.

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2006, 10:59 am

I'm 5'3" and currently at 157.4# and trying to lose weight. It's a taste for easy-eating comfort food that did me in, plus stress eating at work. Oddly enough, I was really skinny until puberty, so you'd think I'd revert after the hormones went away? Fat chance!

neptunevsmars
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 11:18 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I probably don’t look much like a stereotypical Aspie and I certainly don’t dress like one.

Isn't "stereotypical Aspie" an oxymoron? And if not, then how does one dress?

You got to ask for it