Differences between levels of relationships

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Prin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2015, 6:43 pm

I had rather hoped that my first topic would be something impressive, but here it goes: I need help with distinguishing between a few boundaries. I was completely out of the dating scene during my formative years, and now I don't know what I'm doing. I have a "hang out" I'm going to on Saturday evening, and I would eventually like the relationship to progress to more than just friends. I don't want to be too forward, however.

What is the difference between dating and an actual relationship? I know some of the more general things, but I don't know at what point people can become more physical (holding hands, kissing, etc) without rushing things. I feel like I'm ready to be there, but I don't know what I'm doing or if that is too forward.

How do you know if it is more than "hanging out?" I've read a few articles online, but since I don't know where any boundary is whatsoever, I don't know how well I can relate to those articles.

The person I know is a good acquaintance (not a stranger, someone I met online, random person in the office, etc) and we talk fairly easily with each other. I'm never without something to say or to ask when I'm with them, but we've never hung out before.

Any advice, relevant articles (that are tailored to clueless people like me), links to other threads are all appreciated. Although I want answers to the questions I asked, please share any information you think might be relevant. And please excuse the dopey post. This is hard stuff to talk about and I really don't know what I'm doing.

Non_Passerine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Mar 2015, 1:31 pm

Do you actually like that person? Could you see yourself married to them?

Prin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2015, 5:05 pm

I do like the person. I haven't thought about marriage. Don't know them well enough to make that sort of decision.

Diningroom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2015, 10:58 am

Far as I'm concerned, you're not officially dating exclusivelyy until you've had a conversation about dating exclusively and both parties have agreed to it.

Then you're officially dating TIL someone officially says "I'm breaking up w u".

Prin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2015, 9:20 pm

Thanks, Diningroom. At what point do people start dating exclusively and how do you initiate that conversation?