Is this normal mother in law behaviour?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

abeautifulmind
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2015, 2:45 pm

This behavior is not normal. You are most likely an aspie. Your future MIL is an NT. And I am guessing, your BF is also an NT, although I am not sure. Would you be able to put up with two NTs ? It is going to be a rough and difficult journey but not impossible. All the best.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 12:40 pm

SilverStar wrote:
Cafeaulait wrote:
Yes I know what you mean. The thing is that your mother in law explicitly (?) made it clear that she didn't want to see you together. My mother in law did not do that.

Actually, we wern't married. She never really said anything to me directly, but my ex told me several times that she didn't like me. Also, my ex was the type that was easily influenced, and she would accuse me of all sorts of crazy things (clearly things that her mother, and some other family members put in her head), that were totally not true. On top of that, her mother would ask her to come visit (without me), on the days that I planned on doing things with her...which was I believe, was done intentionally, to cause problems between us.

In your case, though, it sounds like the mother is one of those people that "wants the best for their baby", and in doing so, is basically trying to run his life. It sounds like she is projecting some of her own problems onto him, and this behavior can also be considered as selfish and inconsiderate.

That really sucks. Why did your ex tell you that? To be honest your ex sounds like the second perpetrator in this scenario. It's one thing to have an annoying mother in law, but for your ex to just go along with his mom is crazy in my eyes. I don't think my mother in law is that mean, but she is very 'backhanded'.

For example, the first time I visited, my boyfriend heard his mom talking about me with his aunt. He heard her say: "she is really tiny". First of all, I am 5'4. Yes I am tiny, especially as a Dutchman, but not that tiny. Second, why would you even care to notice and discuss something like that?
Tomorrow I am going to see his aunt anyway, to 'relieve her curiosity', but I am not really looking forward to it.