Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 12:16 pm

Anyone else have troubles with this?
I have trouble understanding what the the lyrics to songs are about...can't mentally connect the words...have trouble understanding what the hell people are talking about in movies...am always having to ask my boyfriend what is going on...in group conversations...my mind goes blank..not always but alot of the time...

anyone else like this..

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 12:20 pm

I am pretty much the opposite. I tend to understand such things very well.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 12:25 pm

I don't always not understand what is going on..alot of times though I will get a completely different interpretation from everyone else...and part of this is based on my misinterpretation of the dialogue..

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 12:33 pm

that is pretty much the story of my life.i rarley understand whats being said in songs and what they mean in movies.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 12:34 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I don't always not understand what is going on..alot of times though I will get a completely different interpretation from everyone else...and part of this is based on my misinterpretation of the dialogue..

Would these involve euphemisms? At first, I don't know what someone is saying in those cases, but I am often eventually able to figure it out.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Iruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2007, 1:14 pm

I try to avoid watching movies in theatres, in fact when I watch them at home I always put sub-titles on... Songs on the other hand, I dislike most music. Everyone likes to play it really loud which aggravates me for some reason. Even the music I listen to I don't like to hear it that loud.

The few songs I do like I always have to look up the lyrics to or listen to them hundreds of times before I know what their talking about. Outside of slow church choirs (I was forced to go to church for most of my childhood) this is the only song I've ever really understood what they were saying the first time I listened to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJbLwb4qDQ

I'm not really a big fan of music, I only like a rare few songs. Most music is too loud, I remember when my parents started going to this church that played "Christian Rock, Christian Hip-hop, and Christian Rap" I had all sorts of problems. The music was too loud, I didn't understand any of it, I had a lot of anxiety from being in a large group of people (Most of these people I didn't particularly like), and it always seemed like the drum beats synched with the beat of my heart which was extremely unnerving.

Thats an issue I have with almost every friend I get. They want to listen to music really loud to the point that if you want to do any talking you've got to yell over it. Whether there in their car, their room or wherever other peoples music has to be loud enough for everyone within a good three hundred yards to be able to hear it..

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 1:46 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I have trouble understanding what the the lyrics to songs are about...can't mentally connect the words...have trouble understanding what the hell people are talking about in movies...am always having to ask my boyfriend what is going on...in group conversations...my mind goes blank..not always but alot of the time...

anyone else like this..

I USED to be able to follow like 3 conversations at once. NOW, I am lucky if I can even follow 2, and usually it is like I have 2 brains, and the one hooked up to my ears can't interpret some things. It can't even determine a numbers quantity, although it DOES know it is a number. It CAN communicate with the OTHER brain that DOES understand. That is perceived by me to be like a repeat of what is said.

BTW I guess this is a common AS trait because it causes me to do something that apparently a number of AS people do. Well, I wait longer now, which leads to ANOTHER common AS symptom.

The FIRST symptom? I will say "what?", and figure it out before they even start telling me! The second? A delay in responding.

Steve

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 1:56 pm

I can do that too..know what someone wants based off a few words...but at the same time...a conversation can be going in front of me that makes no sense....

18 Mar 2007, 1:57 pm

Yes I have that problem too. I can be listening but not be following what someone is saying even though I understand every word they're saying. That's why I ask lot of questions when I talk but makes me mad when peopel say I'm not listening. My bf did that to me and I wasn't happy about it. I'm not allowed to clearify I heard him right?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 2:37 pm

SteveK wrote:
I will say "what?", and figure it out before they even start telling me!

that's me right there.... i do that ALL the time... is part of what makes me awkward in conversations... cause it kinda trips up everyone.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:13 pm

Is this like what happened to me last night? I was with friends watching "Waking Ned Devine". I was getting it pretty well despite the Irish accents. Then one specific and important conversation stumped me.

Maggie was speaking to another character about her son and the money. None of the words connected conceptuallly to me; it was words but gibberish.

Fortunately one friend exclaimed what he had just heard, so the point was not lost on me.

Happens sometimes in music lyrics, and real life as well. I have been following okay until - and I have no reason why - I just trip offline. I hear the words I just do not get the meaning.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:54 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:

anyone else like this..

I'm sorta like this, too.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2007, 5:59 pm

Yes, I have CAPD. I have to concentrate on the speaker or all I hear is noise. I gave up on movies a long time ago becaue in modern movies, all I hear is loud thumping noises and disjointed bits of conversation. The scene changes are bizarre and nothing makes sense. I'd rather read the book. :)

Jett
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2007, 10:55 pm

nutbag wrote:
Is this like what happened to me last night? I was with friends watching "Waking Ned Devine". I was getting it pretty well despite the Irish accents. Then one specific and important conversation stumped me.

Maggie was speaking to another character about her son and the money. None of the words connected conceptuallly to me; it was words but gibberish.

Fortunately one friend exclaimed what he had just heard, so the point was not lost on me.

Happens sometimes in music lyrics, and real life as well. I have been following okay until - and I have no reason why - I just trip offline. I hear the words I just do not get the meaning.

This is very similar to the way it happens to me. I am following a simplistic, short conversation perfectly adequately (perhaps with some effort some days) but then it just goes blip and I'll not process the words said at all, I heard them just did'nt "catch" them. Then they pause expecting a response and I pause and look off trying to process, look back at them... "What?"

I was still listening, so I really can't explain it.

Lonely and wet and cold, but that I kept my dream!"
~Everett Ruess