I dont want to have friends, I just want a relationship

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 9:27 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Which sites are best? Avoid Eharmony at all costs. OKCupid is very good

What's wrong with eHarmony? I met many great women on that site particularly my current GF (that will probably become my fiancée in a couple months) and in all cases, they all contacted me first. The actual site itself is downright awful (and don't get started on their sleazy billing practices but it is the best by a long shot.

OKCupid where I live is almost exclusively made of clones of the "hipster" variety. Nobody was the least bit serious either and they all had a meat market mentality. What a waste of time!

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 1:57 am

Mr.Warmo wrote:
So, common sence haha? Well i'll be fine I guess on this front lol

You would be surprised at how many people are missing common sense :)
I think the profile biography part is very important, I think it's important to be honest without being too honest. If you make out to be someone else then you are then you will meet girls that are not right for you and it will not last. I believe there is someone for everyone, sometimes it takes time to find them, but it's worth it :)

Mr.Warmo
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2015, 4:31 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Mr.Warmo wrote:
Have you got any pointers for a good profile pic?
As Bondkatten said, not a selfie. There are two types of profile pic that are too common on dating sites. The first, is the phone selfie, most commonly used by girls and the second is the webcam selfie, most commonly used by guys.

Sometimes guys use a phone selfie as well. I don't think there's anything wrong with using your phone if that's the best camera you have available but it need not be a selfie. I think it's a bad look if the picture is in front of a mirror or a worse look if you can see the subjects arm reaching up towards the camera.

I took my profile pick by setting my phone on a bookshelf and setting it to activate the shutter when I smiled (or in my case, half smiled, that's just the look I like for myself). I'll admit, the inside of my apartment living isn't the most exciting background for a profile pic, though it's better than a bedroom pic taken from a webcam or the inside of a public toilet. An outdoor shot would have been better, though I did get one girl interested in me because in the background my arcade machine was visible.

She said she was a retro gamer and swooned when I told her about my many consoles from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Things didn't work out when it turned out our other interests where totally different (like her horrible obsession with spray painting things pink) and after she stood me up four times and somehow made that into my fault. At first I was disappointing she was gone but now I'm glad because I really wouldn't want to be in a relationship with such a spiteful and hypocritical woman.

So when you get rejected, you can sometimes consider it a blessing. The sort of girl who would reject you for a trivial reason is not the sort of girl you should want to be with.

I've been meaning to get some outdoor pics. A guy here on WP told me a few months ago he got more responses when he changed in primary picture to one of him in front of a waterfall. I should do the same since there are several conservation parks containing waterfalls within a few hours drive from me. Or I could use some other interesting natural or urban landscape. You get the idea.

You might want to try the same. Get a picture of you in an interesting environment that isn't your house. Make sure it doesn't look like a selfie. Get someone else to hold the camera or at least use some other means to activate the shutter like I did (put the camera on a timer, remote trigger, etc).

As for OKCupid, I notice that I get a lot more replies from it than Oasis but not as many dates. It's like everyone is messaging each other more freely on OKCupid but if you get a reply on Oasis, that's more meaningful (because they don't reply as often). The girls on OKCupid mostly just want to chat about their favorite TV shows. You get less replies on Oasis but the few who reply are more likely to want to date you. You're right that the UI on OKCupid is generally more advanced than the one on Oasis.

At the moment I'm using my holiday photos from Florida that I took in january, although I think I'm gonna give them a quick cropping to get rid of all the empty space around, I would think that sort of photo is good as it shows outside, and on holiday and to show in a nutshell that i'm a fan of disney. Ofcourse you can post more than one photo so I'm gonna have a think about that (I could take a photo of myself in my bedroom in front of my shelf of interesting items though...)

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 6:21 am

Mr.Warmo wrote:
At the moment I'm using my holiday photos from Florida that I took in january, although I think I'm gonna give them a quick cropping to get rid of all the empty space around, I would think that sort of photo is good as it shows outside, and on holiday and to show in a nutshell that i'm a fan of disney. Ofcourse you can post more than one photo so I'm gonna have a think about that (I could take a photo of myself in my bedroom in front of my shelf of interesting items though...)
Excellent! Holiday snapshots are a great thing to put on your profile or even your main pic. Also it's good that you show you're into Disney. It shows you're into something (for a gender reversed version I once dated a girl who didn't have any interests at all. Big turn off. I would've even preferred she have different interests to me but her disinterest in all things made her seem passionless).

Anyway, show you're passionate about something. Disney is a great interest to have for this because lots and lots of women like Disney. You'll have a mutual interest to discuss.
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
What's wrong with eHarmony?
You need to pay to reply? Fine. I don't mind paying fifty bucks a year but the girls there did. I didn't get any replies because they were all nonsubscribers. It's not that I eHarmony wanting payment is greedy, it's just that I think requiring payment from both parties leads to a broken system. It's like paying for a betamax player and then finding out they don't have many betamax tapes.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 1:45 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Which sites are best? Avoid Eharmony at all costs. OKCupid is very good

What's wrong with eHarmony? I met many great women on that site particularly my current GF (that will probably become my fiancée in a couple months) and in all cases, they all contacted me first. The actual site itself is downright awful (and don't get started on their sleazy billing practices but it is the best by a long shot.

OKCupid where I live is almost exclusively made of clones of the "hipster" variety. Nobody was the least bit serious either and they all had a meat market mentality. What a waste of time!

sure its fine for professionals who make good money and women who prefer men who are professionals who make good money, wish women on okcupid would go there and leave okcupid to those poor girls after real love.
besides that they outright told me I am unmatchable.

RetroGamer87 wrote:
You need to pay to reply? Fine. I don't mind paying fifty bucks a year but the girls there did. I didn't get any replies because they were all nonsubscribers. It's not that I eHarmony wanting payment is greedy, it's just that I think requiring payment from both parties leads to a broken system. It's like paying for a betamax player and then finding out they don't have many betamax tapes.

50 a year?

Quote:
standard monthly subscription of $59.95.

or if infor site is right 19 a month for 12 months. 227.40
i can't afford taht. that's crazy
$4 a month would be more reasonable. I pay $4 a month for ps plus and that gets me 6 free games a month, discounts, access to playing online for hours and hours and hours.

what does $20 a month get me at eharmony girls rejecting me and depression. yeah no thanks. okcupid is way better and though it still has the above things atleast I don't pay them money to get rejected and in harmonies case told I'm unmatchable.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 4:35 pm

sly279 wrote:
sure its fine for professionals who make good money and women who prefer men who are professionals who make good money, wish women on okcupid would go there and leave okcupid to those poor girls after real love.
But aren't a lot of the poor girls gold diggers? But on the other hand, with the middle class girls, even though they're already professionals who don't want for money, they want a guy who's in the social class as them. Catch-22.
sly279 wrote:
Maybe you're too pessimistic. You should answer the questions optimistically, even if it means you have to lie.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2015, 7:13 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
But aren't a lot of the poor girls gold diggers? But on the other hand, with the middle class girls, even though they're already professionals who don't want for money, they want a guy who's in the social class as them. Catch-22.
sly279 wrote:
Maybe you're too pessimistic. You should answer the questions optimistically, even if it means you have to lie.

i was quite happy back then, I answered them truthfully.

wouldn't lying just mismatch me with people who I wouldn't have stuff in common with and fight a lot.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 1:38 am

sly279 wrote:
in harmonies case told I'm unmatchable.

When I played around on eHarmony, they told me the same. I think what this means is that they are unable to match aspies because of their lousy software. Thus, you shouldn't take this personally as it is their fault not yours.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 4:31 am

rdos wrote:
When I played around on eHarmony, they told me the same. I think what this means is that they are unable to match aspies because of their lousy software. Thus, you shouldn't take this personally as it is their fault not yours.
They came up with lots of matches for me. The trouble was, none of them replied.
sly279 wrote:
wouldn't lying just mismatch me with people who I wouldn't have stuff in common with and fight a lot.
So you'd be just like most other couples.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 7:15 am

sly279 wrote:
what does $20 a month get me at eharmony girls rejecting me and depression. yeah no thanks. okcupid is way better and though it still has the above things atleast I don't pay them money to get rejected and in harmonies case told I'm unmatchable.

Well, for me I got 15-20 dates (and about 8-10 second & third dates), 2 relationships and now one that is probably going to lead to marriage (yes, I say that after just 3 months as she is a dream catch). Sure, online dating is far from ideal but OKCupid got me one crazy BPD relationship and two first dates. The simple fact is that while "free" sounds good in theory it just promotes a throwaway mentality. The women on eHarmony know that by paying you are serious about finding love and are less likely to be a predator and I can tell you from multiple women I dated that women vastly outnumber men! I still hate that you cannot tell who is a paid subscriber though.

You are going to get rejected a lot no matter if you are God himself so you might as well get used to it. Doesn't matter what site you use: many online daters are simply very ambivalent and it has nothing to do with you at all. I spend hundreds of dollars on eHarmony over the years, faced more rejection than I did in school and it looks like it was WELL worth it. We would have never met in real life and I would have assumed she was married anyway. Oh, and I should also mention she was a flex match who did NOT meet my age parameters so keep an open mind.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 7:21 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Oh, and I should also mention she was a flex match who did NOT meet my age parameters so keep an open mind.
Woah, so you're with an older woman? Kinky!

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 7:26 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Woah, so you're with an older woman? Kinky!

She is about 6 years older but I am not kidding when I say she looks Y-O-U-N-G. I publicly posted a picture of us and if anything, she looks about 25 and me about 28 and has even been carded in my presence! She is also very inexperienced with men (14 years since her last relationship) but lets just say she is VERY intelligent and a fast learner. On a more serious note, I mentioned previously how she never smiled in photos. Let's just say she is glowing in the picture I have and it's all because of the positive difference I have made in her life. Not bad for a socially awkward inexperienced loser who went almost his entire 20s without even getting a kiss on the cheek.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 7:52 am

I think eHarmony sucks, but I've known a couple of people who were successful with it and one of my best friends met her husband through that site, but mainly I think it's just awful.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:34 pm

rdos wrote:
sly279 wrote:
in harmonies case told I'm unmatchable.

interesting never considered that.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 3:42 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Well, for me I got 15-20 dates (and about 8-10 second & third dates), 2 relationships and now one that is probably going to lead to marriage (yes, I say that after just 3 months as she is a dream catch). Sure, online dating is far from ideal but OKCupid got me one crazy BPD relationship and two first dates. The simple fact is that while "free" sounds good in theory it just promotes a throwaway mentality. The women on eHarmony know that by paying you are serious about finding love and are less likely to be a predator and I can tell you from multiple women I dated that women vastly outnumber men! I still hate that you cannot tell who is a paid subscriber though.

You are going to get rejected a lot no matter if you are God himself so you might as well get used to it. Doesn't matter what site you use: many online daters are simply very ambivalent and it has nothing to do with you at all. I spend hundreds of dollars on eHarmony over the years, faced more rejection than I did in school and it looks like it was WELL worth it. We would have never met in real life and I would have assumed she was married anyway. Oh, and I should also mention she was a flex match who did NOT meet my age parameters so keep an open mind.

eharmony is for upper middle class people. not poor lower class people. by paying it shows you ahve a good job and thats what the women there want.

from what I gather you have a decent job and look decent. so it works for you as you are the client tale. I would go homeless and starve paying for eharmony and they'd reject me because I have no job unless a decent one. glad it works for you and I'm sure it would work wonders for any other upper/middle class apsies. its just not for anyone not working a decent job.

as for okcupid being throw away. all dating sites are like that. people view dating sites the same as window shopping. they have tons of options so they can play around til they find the one they like best, problem is then another one comes they like slightly better and so on. still plenty of people have had just as good results from okcupid as eharmony. I got 7 dates from okcupid

if eharmony really wanted to attract people like me they'd lower their prices, but they wont' they're a upper middle class dating site. christian singles is a upper middle class site for christians. they work similar to gyms. get people to pay super high prices and hope they have low success rates or they'll stop paying. if everyone on eharmony found marriage then the site would go out of business its in their best interest to keep people single.

oh since people pay so much to be there, it should allow those they message to reply for free. maybe they'd scare less people away from their site.

there was one site that worked that way if a subscribed member messaged you you could talk back. since why pay s**t ton of money if you can't talk to them.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2015, 2:00 am

sly279 wrote:
if everyone on eharmony found marriage then the site would go out of business its in their best interest to keep people single.
Not true. If everyone found married they'd have new customers before long. People aren't born married after all.
sly279 wrote:
eharmony is for upper middle class people. not poor lower class people. by paying it shows you ahve a good job and thats what the women there want.
When I was on eharmony I had a very low paying job yet I got lots of matches. I think the girls were poorer than I was because none of them bothered to subscribe.

A couple of years later, I found where all the upper middle class girls were hanging out. Oasis. Every girl over 25 had a professional job and every girl under 25 was either a uni student, a worker or both. Nearly all of them said, they wanted a guy with "ambition" or "direction" or "drive". That being their polite way of saying "no paupers".

Some of them weren't so polite, I remember one 18 year old girl said she wants "no lazy welfare bums". Since she was working full time, this was rude but not hypocritical of her. Some other profiles said that their man must have a car, his own place and a job (again, the girls who said this had those things also). Still, some of the profiles were written in such a way as to sound very demanding and terse.

It was reading through these profiles that triggered my quarter life crisis and made me quit my low paying job and seek a higher paying "normal job. It was reading through these profiles that made me want to be like "normal people", like on Oasis whereas before I'd paid little attention to what other people where doing and gave little thought to becoming like "normal people". It was this that made me hate myself for not being "normal". A few other disasters threw me into a bout of depression that lasted about a year.

It wasn't just that I thought a good job would attract girls, it was also that I wanted not only to attract them but also to be like them, as I took Oasis as a sample of the general population. It was this that started me comparing myself to everyone, something I didn't used to do much before.

So Sly, if you want to avoid the rich b*****s, avoid Oasis.