A New Doc. Featuring the Lives of Older Adults With Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

john196920022001
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm

Hey everyone please see the press release below. I am working on a documentary that will feature a missing piece of the puzzle: older adults on the spectrum

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Phone: 520-413-7389
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.autismthemovie.com

“ADULT AUTISM: THE MOVIE”
A NEW DOCUMENTARY FEATURING THE LIVES OF OLDER ADULTS WITH AUTISM

Autistic individuals thirty-five years of age and older have been largely ignored by service organizations and in the media.

Forbes magazine affirmed that some view the “autism epidemic” as a “new phenomenon” that is “confined only to our youngest generation.”  Autism is neither a new phenomenon nor is it confined to our youngest generation. “Adult Autism: The Movie” will showcase the lives of older adults with autism spectrum disorders in order to shed light on their needs and difficulties.  

Development of the documentary “Adult Autism: The Movie” began on March 1, 2015 and is currently in the preproduction or planning stage.

John Bowen Brown II, a long time human rights activist who is himself on the autism spectrum is the director and producer of the documentary.
:D

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 9:53 pm

Apart from being about the "needs and difficulties" of older adults, what is the primary theme of your documentary going to be in relation to ASDs? What narrative perspective are you going to take? For example, are you going to present the subjects as people who are dependent on others and need more providers to provide for dependency needs? Or as people who are quite capable of living independently despite age and stigma (I'm an example of one of those). How are you going to address needs and difficulties without reinforcing existing stigmas, and balance the message in a way that doesn't contribute to even more negative perception? I think that must be a very hard thing to achieve, but if you can do it, go for you.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 10:20 pm

B19 wrote:
are you going to present the subjects as people who are dependent on others and need more providers to provide for dependency needs? Or as people who are quite capable of living independently despite age and stigma (I'm an example of one of those).

And between those opposite extremes are those of us who can function largely independently, but still need programs for assistance and just as importantly, ADVOCACY, to defend our rights when our voices are ignored. It does no good to be able to work, when discrimination, bullying and ineffectual bureaucrats with no understanding of autism prevent an autistic adult from being able to maintain employment.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 10:25 pm

commenting to get the thread to show up on my posts to refer back to.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 7:50 pm

B19 is right... and let me add this: If you plan to put only dependent people who lack this or that skill in it, or angry hateful people, or self-injurious people, or depressed anxious people, you definitely need to put in a disclaimer saying there are autistics who are the opposite.

john196920022001
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2017, 4:12 am

Hey everyone,

I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to thank you for the input. I did reflect on it

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 6:34 am

This is a two year old thread but for what my opinion is worth, I would like to see a film like this out there, as long as it portrays a wide spread of ability and psyche.

I would not want either an overly negative nor an overly positive film all the way through. I'd like to see balance. I want to see the people who cannot live independently just as much as the people who can. I want to see the people who are falling through the cracks because I think it is INCREDIBLY important that people know that's happening to some of us.

By all means show the people who are NOT, too. My point is, I would be as angry to see a cheerleading film full of incredibly functional older autistics with a message of "Look how great we can do!" as I would to see a completely gloomy film filled with a portrayal of everyone being doomed to failure in life.

The film needs ALL of us. The ones who are doing great AND the ones who feel things are only getting worse for them. And all the ones in between.

The ones who are independent and the ones who may never be, and everyone in between.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 7:47 am

google that, that's not funny,

on the net: - from kook apologist, to JBB rides again, also former jehova witness, former jw-deprogrammer, to satanist and/or wicca guru,
"The Return of the World Class Idiot" - "I had forgotten about John Bowen Brown II who seems to me one of the dopiest guys around. He engaged me in a silly exchange of emails and then sent a legal threat to me."
https://xenutv.wordpress.com/2008/08/14 ... -flounder/
http://temoinsdejehovah.blog.free.fr/in ... onymous%22

john196920022001
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Sep 2017, 6:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Birdinflight. I did not have notifications for this post one, and just happened to find it after forgetting about it. The documentary is in post production.

As far your adhominem attack goes, Traven, it's very one sided and discriminatory. I can choose whatever religion I want to join. I can't see any other reason to post such a thing other than to assassinate my character. It had nothing to do with my original post or the comment I made yesterday. The site references are all from anticult sites, who tend to be critical of me. A more well rounded version of me can be found by googling John Bowen Brown or John Bowen Brown II.