Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 4:57 pm

So I've been a member of this board for a few years, but haven't visited in a while. Previously, I had been diagnosed with Aspergers, but upon visiting a new (and better) psychiatrist, it turns out my mental health issues are Schizotypal Personality Disorder (which shares a lot of symptoms with Aspergers), borderline PD, and clinical depression (co-morbid).

Having said all that, what I really need help with, if any of you have experience with Schizo disorders, is dealing with avolition and anhedonia. Both seem to be worsening, and as far as my research as shown, neither symptom seems to respond well to any psychiatric medication.

Have any of you had any success with meds or any other methods for dealing with avolition and/or anhedonia? I have plenty of energy when I can summon the motivation to do anything, so that isn't the problem I'm having. I'm down to eating one meal a day because I can't be bothered to eat more; bathing down to once a week; you all know the deal here. Hobbies and pastimes I find enjoyable fall by the wayside, not because I don't enjoy them, but because the drive to do them isn't there. It is such a weird feeling to know that I enjoy playing Minecraft, for example, but have such difficulty even moving myself to my desk to play.

Thanks in advance!

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2015, 2:51 pm

Does it help if someone prompts you? (eg asking 'do you want to play Minecraft' or something)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 1:25 pm

Anhedonia and avolition are symptoms of StPD? I didn't know that. I thought those were schizoid traits.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 7:25 pm

starkid wrote:
Anhedonia and avolition are symptoms of StPD? I didn't know that. I thought those were schizoid traits.

Not schizoid at all. Schizoid and Schizophrenia are not related at all, whereas Schizotypal is on the mild end of the schizophrenia spectrum. Avolition and anhedonia are far more common symptoms in Schizophrenia family, whereas the primary symptom of Schizoid is detachment from people and relationships (and no desire for such), lack of emotion, consistent preference for solitary activities. Schizoid does share the anhedonia symptom, but it really isn't the defining characteristic, as far as I know. (Well, it usually takes 4 to 5 different symptom expressions to nail down a diagnosis anyway).

Schizotypal PD may not have close relationships, but still desire them. They may not understand why people don't like them, or can't be friends/romantic. Also, there are studies that show StPD can transform into Schizophrenia in 5% of cases...which has me scared personally.

AsteroidNap
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 7:29 pm

Ettina wrote:
Does it help if someone prompts you? (eg asking 'do you want to play Minecraft' or something)

Not really :( It feels more like I have to build up a required amount of neurotransmitters of the appropriate type before I unlock the desire. When I want to exercise, for example, I have to think about it for many hours before I'm motivated to do it. The same happens with things like Minecraft. I'll fire up the program, then leave it paused until I summon the motivation to play it. I always hope that simply loading the game with jumpstart my desire, but it rarely does these days.

I appreciate the advice though!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 8:25 pm

Do you treat your depression?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 10:37 pm

Schizoid PD is seen by many to belong to the "schizophrenia spectrum" but not as strongly as schizotypal. It is reckoned to be at the mildest end of the spectrum.

If you want somewhere additional to discuss symptoms and how to cope with them there is always http://forum.schizophrenia.com/ which is for anyone with a schizophrenia related disorder and carers/family members.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 11:52 pm

Rather than trying to work up the mental state (motivation and/or enjoyment) before doing the activities, first just put your body through the motions of the activity and allow that to stimulate the mental state.

seulement une folle
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2015, 7:33 pm

I have a diagnosis of schizophreniform (which turns into schizophrenia in 2/3 of cases) and I was scared at first too. But I have friends with schizophrenia and I've seen successful people with schizophrenia and I am starting to feel more positive about it. There are two schizophrenic speakers in this playlist and they're both great: https://www.ted.com/playlists/9/all_kinds_of_minds

What I've found somewhat helpful with the anhedonia/avolition is to schedule time in which I make myself do things. Like "today I am going shopping with my sister at 2 p.m." It helps to make plans with other people so you sortof have to do it, like accountability.