Age of Autism editor writes a piece for The Washington Post

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 8:32 pm

The Washington Post one of America's most prestigious papers let the managing editor of Age of Autism an online anti vaccine zine write an opinion piece

My three daughters are autistic. I despise Autism Awareness Month. Autism shouldn't be celebrated.

Doom and gloom and horror but I do agree with her on a few things.
She writes the "Aspergers Syndrome" is a form of Autism in that way she is better then some here who want to stamp out Aspergers. The problems Autistic people face from and NT world is addressed, I wish she would realize some of the problems these problems come from co-morbids and the NT world and not Autism

I really agree with her about how worthless Autism Awareness day symbolism is and she does have some good suggestions for real world action.

That I actually find this article less bad then the majority of Autism articles in the mainstream American media is a horrid state of affairs.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm

I'm not sure what my reaction to this article is. It bugs me that she reveals information about her daughter's self-care. Out of the myriad of autism symptoms, this is the one she chooses to bring up?
I agree with her about supporting locally as opposed to donating to Autism Speaks.

The whole autism awareness thing has me bummed for some reason.