Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 1:29 am

...for my Autism Speaks facts list.

I posted my against-Autism-Speaks list on FB. The list can also be found here: https://anastassiacharitymarie.wordpress...abolished/

I got a PM from a character named Chantale Meadows Belanger on FB that went like this:

Quote:
you realize that parenting also requires you to have consequences and if your the kind of parent that feels it is not okay to discipline your child just because he/she has Autism then I feel very sorry for your child. Have you ever ad any kind of ABA from Crom?

and ALSO you realize that you CANNOT have blood tests done to rule out Autism. Autism is NOT found in their blood nor in their genes . You my dear should not believe everything that you read on the internet

here get educated before passing false s**t aaround the internet. I have dealt with Crom for the past 12 years and believe you me I can and no for a fact that you are spreading lies. You realize what you are doing is illegal right? defamation of character is a big deal in a court of law regardless if it's towards a person or a company .. I saved everything and print screened everything you have shared about this stuff in your own facebook and all over the net. Get educated! http://crom-wmrc.ca/en/who-we-are/

To which I replied:
Quote:
Hey, are you the same Chantale Meadows that PMed me? Lemme debunk some stuff. 1) I never said anything false about CROM. 2) I should have made it clearer that Autism Speaks is RESEARCHING TO FIND a prenatal test. I apologize. 3) I meant that PUNISHING FOR STIMMING AND THE LIKE is not acceptable.

In case my blog gets shut down, let me post my list in here too:
Quote:
Why Autism Speaks must be abolished
OCTOBER 26, 2014 ~ ANASTASSIA CHARITY MARIE FLORINE
No reasonable person would dare suggest that an organization comprised entirely of men represents women’s interests or that an organization led entirely by white people represents the interests of people of color, yet the same standard evidently does not apply to disability organizations despite the existence of many cross-disability and autism-specific organizations led by actually disabled people. ~ Lydia Brown, Autistic Hoya

1. They support eugenics. Alongside salaries, most of their donations go to research to create a genetic test for autism so that parents can abort their children or fetuses when they test positive for autism in the womb. Yes, the test can be useful to plan for a child’s life, but let’s admit that with society’s attitude right now, most women would abort an autistic fetus. They just want to wipe us from the gene pool. One woman who worked for CRDI (formerly the West Montreal Readaptation Centre/ Centre Readaptation de l’Ouest de Montreal) told me she wouldn’t abort a kid because he didn’t have the right color eyes, but that it’s a woman’s right to abort an autistic fetus because it is autistic. When I told them I considered boycotting the facility, they told me I needed to work on agreeing to disagree. However, I say that agreeing to disagree does not mean letting the opposition walk all over you and giving in to them.

2. They are against autism… something that we ARE.

3. They are in it for the money.

4. They don’t have any autistic on their staff. The one they did have on their staff, John Elder Robison, resigned in disgust when he realized what he was supporting. He was a pawn anyway. He was a well-known author who was for neurodiversity when they weren’t.

5. They spend most of their money on themselves. Most of their money goes to salaries.

6. They silence autistics. They threatened to sue a 14-year-old autistic girl once for making a parody of the site. Parodies are perfectly moral and, under the Fair Use Act, perfectly legal. Then they threatened to sue an autistic named Zachary Lassiter for selling t-shirts that said “Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am autistic. I can speak for myself.”

7. They don’t pay autistics for writing about their own experiences, but they pay thousands to so-called parents to complain on the Autism Speaks website about how their children are such a burden and a waste of space.

8. They support the murder of autistics, including the children. Allison Tepper Singer, a mother of a little girl named Jodie, said in the video Autism Every Day that she had fantasies of putting Jodie in the car and driving off the George Washington Bridge, and that the only thing stopping her from doing that was her other daughter… the typical one.

9. They have double standards. They say we should be positive about Autism Speaks and not bash it because that’s negative. Well, we’re bashing them because they’re not being positive about us. Autism Speaks, how about YOU say something positive! This also goes for the agreeing to disagree thing I mention in the first point in this list.

10. They tell people to donate first and read their pamphlet later.

Oh, and she/he/they also posted on my blog, saying that Autism Speaks is good and that it is especially good because "autism parents" support it. I replied with "Autism Speaks thinks our thoughts, feelings, ideas and opinions are invalid because they're the product of some disease."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 1:39 am

If that is all you posted that they are b*tching about, I wouldn't pay them much mind...they're probably just trying to scare you, I do not think it is illegal to post negative opinions about organizations. And it sounds like Autism Speaks is trying to become some kind of monopoly on autism....sueing kids over making a bit of fun of the organization or making shirts that express the opinion autism speaks does not speak for autistics seems to point that way....are they planning to patent the disorder lol....get paid royalties anytime anyone uses the term? lol

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

04 Apr 2015, 2:07 am

I would just tell them to kiss my virtual as* and tell them to link me where they found their "information" on the subject.

I would also tell them that the sutistic kids have it worse than the parents, they can cry me a river for all I care. Good luck dealing with this moron, just keep posting. It'll piss them off. :D

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 2:16 am

are you a wealthy person?they wont spend 1000's on legal fees unless its worth the reward

1.sweatlief is right,you did nothing slanderous.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 2:21 am

Nope; I'm on the dole. LOL. Maybe they're hoping that since I won't be able to pay the lawsuit I'd have to do community service... for Autism Speaks.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 7:46 am

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
...for my Autism Speaks facts list.

I posted my against-Autism-Speaks list on FB. The list can also be found here: https://anastassiacharitymarie.wordpress...abolished/

I can't click on that link. It only gives an error page.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 8:03 am

Whoops, sorry. Thanks for pointing it out, Jono! Here it is:

https://anastassiacharitymarie.wordpres ... abolished/

The list is also in my first post in this thread.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 12:48 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Nope; I'm on the dole. LOL. Maybe they're hoping that since I won't be able to pay the lawsuit I'd have to do community service... for Autism Speaks.
community service is only applicable in criminal court.

in civil court a judge could take $10 a month or so from an indigent persons goverment check,which would be of no interest to whom is sueing you

you wont B sued

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 1:35 pm

Statements such as "They are in it for the money" and "They spend most of their money on themselves. Most of their money goes to salaries" are unsupported allegations. Unless you have some cite-able facts to back that up, it might be considered libelous. Those statements may be true, but you need evidence.

I think everything else you have is okay. Be careful of rambling and aside remarks that detract from the main point of a statement, so the argument you're making remains coherent and sticks in the memory.

Here's an edit with a little rewording to keep it concise. Note the removal of all references to AS as "they" and replacing those references with "it" - depicting AS as a monolithic corporate organization, rather than a group of human beings capable of compassion (which "it" isn't). I changed "waste of space" (which I can't say I've seen AS actually say in so many words) to "tragedies" (which they use frequently), replaced "typical" (which could sound sarcastic to the NT ear) with "normal" and generally tightened for impact and retention. Apologies for my presumptive and unbidden intervention.

Quote:
Please Do Not Donate to Autism Speaks. People with Autism Don’t Want You To:

No reasonable person would dare suggest that an organization comprised entirely of men represents women’s interests or that an organization led entirely by white people represents the interests of people of color, yet the same standard evidently does not apply to disability ~ Lydia Brown, Autistic

Autism Speaks supports eugenics. Alongside salaries, much of its received donations pay for research to create a genetic test for autism so that parents can abort their children or fetuses when they test positive for autism in the womb. Autism is a broad Spectrum Disorder and the vast majority of those born with autism are perfectly capable of functioning in society and living virtually normal lives.

Autism Speaks does not have a single autistic adult on their staff. The one autistic individual it did have, John Elder Robison (author of ‘Look Me in the Eye’), resigned in disgust when he realized what he was supporting.

Autism Speaks not only does not represent the voices of autistic individuals, it silences them. Autism Speaks threatened to sue a 14-year-old autistic girl for making a parody of their site. Parodies are, under the Fair Use Act, perfectly legal. Autism Speaks also threatened to sue an autistic named Zachary Lassiter for selling t-shirts that said “Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am autistic. I can speak for myself.”

Autism Speaks never asks autistic individuals to write about their own experiences, but presents so-called parents of autistics to complain about their children as burdens and tragedies.

Autism Speaks has even suggested tacit support of the murder of autistic children. Allison Tepper Singer, a mother of a little girl named Jodie, states in the video ‘Autism Every Day’ that she had fantasies of putting Jodie in the car and driving off the George Washington Bridge, and that the only thing stopping her from doing that was her other daughter… the "normal" one.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2015, 7:21 pm

No, you won't be sued. And if someone tells you to change (censor) your blog, tell them to go fly a kite. What you're doing isn't slander or libel, you're commenting on facts, and things that have actually happened. Slander and libel is very different. They can try to take it up with some sort of civil court, but it would be laughed out.

I think this can be chalked up as, an empty threat from some nut case.

That site that the nutter linked has on it:
"West Montreal Readaptation Centre (WMRC) is a rehabilitation centre for people with an intellectual disability (ID), autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or pervasive developmental disorder (PDD)."
I could talk about how that's a bigoted opinion of AS on my youtube channel if I wanted. Similar to how bigots apply medical intervention to gay people. I certainly didn't write that paragraph on the website, that's not slander or libel, it's speaking your piece and talking about things that are true.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 7:59 pm

will@rd wrote:
Statements such as "They are in it for the money" and "They spend most of their money on themselves. Most of their money goes to salaries" are unsupported allegations. Unless you have some cite-able facts to back that up, it might be considered libelous. Those statements may be true, but you need evidence.

I think everything else you have is okay. Be careful of rambling and aside remarks that detract from the main point of a statement, so the argument you're making remains coherent and sticks in the memory.

Here's an edit with a little rewording to keep it concise. Note the removal of all references to AS as "they" and replacing those references with "it" - depicting AS as a monolithic corporate organization, rather than a group of human beings capable of compassion (which "it" isn't). I changed "waste of space" (which I can't say I've seen AS actually say in so many words) to "tragedies" (which they use frequently), replaced "typical" (which could sound sarcastic to the NT ear) with "normal" and generally tightened for impact and retention. Apologies for my presumptive and unbidden intervention.

Quote:
Please Do Not Donate to Autism Speaks. People with Autism Don’t Want You To:

No reasonable person would dare suggest that an organization comprised entirely of men represents women’s interests or that an organization led entirely by white people represents the interests of people of color, yet the same standard evidently does not apply to disability ~ Lydia Brown, Autistic

Autism Speaks supports eugenics. Alongside salaries, much of its received donations pay for research to create a genetic test for autism so that parents can abort their children or fetuses when they test positive for autism in the womb. Autism is a broad Spectrum Disorder and the vast majority of those born with autism are perfectly capable of functioning in society and living virtually normal lives.

Autism Speaks does not have a single autistic adult on their staff. The one autistic individual it did have, John Elder Robison (author of ‘Look Me in the Eye’), resigned in disgust when he realized what he was supporting.

Autism Speaks not only does not represent the voices of autistic individuals, it silences them. Autism Speaks threatened to sue a 14-year-old autistic girl for making a parody of their site. Parodies are, under the Fair Use Act, perfectly legal. Autism Speaks also threatened to sue an autistic named Zachary Lassiter for selling t-shirts that said “Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am autistic. I can speak for myself.”

Autism Speaks never asks autistic individuals to write about their own experiences, but presents so-called parents of autistics to complain about their children as burdens and tragedies.

Autism Speaks has even suggested tacit support of the murder of autistic children. Allison Tepper Singer, a mother of a little girl named Jodie, states in the video ‘Autism Every Day’ that she had fantasies of putting Jodie in the car and driving off the George Washington Bridge, and that the only thing stopping her from doing that was her other daughter… the "normal" one.

I don't think it comes close to being libelous. To prove libel, at least in most areas of the U.S., A$ has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the statements are false (which they aren't, there are quite a few charity tracking organizations who would agree with the statements made, wikipedia lists numerous sources proving those statements and public A$ financial reports also affrim those statements.) CharityGoodyGrace does not carry the burden of proof. That being said, Autism Speaks has threatened a lawsuit against other blogs before, so tread carefully.

Additionally, there are a lot of loopholes that writers use to evade libel lawsuits. My favorite is called the "small penis rule."
If I were to write a book with libelous criticism of Autism Speaks, I might label their top tier of administration as being an organized group child rapists with small penises (following Michael Crichton's example) with only a few letter alterations to their names... and they wouldn't dare to file lawsuit or else they would be admitting to seeing themselves in child rapists.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 8:10 pm

You could file a lawsuit against them for Libel Chill.
Their lawsuit would be illegal as a SLAPP (strategic lawsuit against public participation) suit.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 8:54 pm

will@rd wrote:
Autism Speaks does not have a single autistic adult on their staff.

These statements are not true
https://www.autismspeaks.org/wordpress- ... -own-words

This autistic individual works for them on the communication and writes why
Position Statement on Autism Speaks
In the comments to this blog section John Elder Robinson reacts.
The last comment under "Anonymous" is by yours truly

I would hope everybody will put aside our strong feelings and really listen to what is being written.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 9:41 pm

Hmm... They might find a sympathetic judge and lawyer who are willing to allow the suit under the libel and slander law.
You what you say must be 100% factual true without intent to harm the organization or person in question.

I mean Microsoft sued a Canadian Teen over his site MikeRowSoft.com and was poised to win in court, but due to public outrage they settled with him and made nice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft ... keRoweSoft

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 9:47 am

Will@rd, the newer version is good except I want to add that there was at least one autistic wrote about their autism experience (A little poem or something) on the AutSpeaks website. I don't know if he was paid or not, so my apologies for thinking he wasn't. But I seriously doubt they paid him thousands like they pay so-called parents to complain about their kids.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2015, 10:26 am

Oh, and Moromillas, I used to deal with CROM (which people call the WMRC in Montreal). They're moral except for the abortion comment and the ABA that they admit has punishments and rewards in it that they call treatment for autism. So now I'm suspicious again.

On a side note, I'm wondering if the person that threatened me might have thought that since I was against the "rewards nad consequences" thing about ABA, that they maybe thought that I meant that autistics should just be let to do everything even stuff that hurts themselves or others. I should have made it clearer that this fake world of fake rewards and punishments that ABA creates is not acceptable. And for all I know, they punish kids for stimming and the like. I wonder who at CROM lies and who tells the truth.