Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Filibroski
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2015, 5:56 am

Out of the two severe mental disorders listed above, which is, in your personal opinion, worse - the severe form of bipolar illness (type I/manic depression) or schizophrenia?

svetlana
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Apr 2015, 6:29 am

Apparently they both are of genetic origin and overlap genetically and differ in that the bipolar disorder symptoms are periodic whereas schizophrenia symptoms are not. I would personally say that bipolar disorder is more annoying because it is less predictable and the person affected does not know what happens next (nor do others who talk with him/her).

Last edited by svetlana on 04 Apr 2015, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 6:30 am

Schizophrenia is far more stigmatised - even within the "helping" professions. They are generally regarded as "hopeless and permanent cases" which does not seem to be wholly accurate, as some recover relatively spontaneously after a brief psychotic episode brought on by overwhelming pressures. Even the recovered are never free of the stigma ever after, and forced to bear a permanent label (like a brand) and if known it is an instant barrier employed by gatekeepers to ensure that those stigmatised in that way never gain access to employment etc that 'sane' people can compete for. Stigma does affect all mental conditions, though none compare with the schizophrenic bias - they are also often globally regarded, unjustly, as automatically or potentially psychopaths too, even those who have never harmed a proverbial fly, and even by people whose education and professional background should overcome those prejudices; in many cases, it doesn't. I really feel for that group of people whose human rights are considered of very little account by a large section of society, and it is also widely considered legitimate to withhold any compassion for their suffering, as if they deserve the often lousy treatment they receive as a result of these stigmatising attitudes.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 7:21 am

B19,

I also know a lot of providers are usually pretty reluctant to diagnose schizophrenia. In fact, I believe they usually prefer to diagnose with Bipolar I disorder first and then see, after eliminating the apparent mood symptoms, if the patient still manifests psychosis.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2015, 2:10 pm

Not even close.

I'm bipolar I, with more or less a normal life. Have a husband and a kid. No medication right now, but if I need it I will go back on lithium.

True BP1 does not have daily mood swings. You'll have stretch of depression or a stretch of mania. Then there is some "normal" time in between. If someone is in a foam all the time, that isn't bipolar I.

The problem with schizophrenia is the psychosis. Once that starts, it never goes truly away, and most schizophrenics need medication to keep the obtrusive voices or other delusions at bay. And antipsychotics suck ass in the side effects department.

I have never been so psychotic I heard voices, though I did see things. Once all that got stomped down by medication, it went away. When I have no depression or mania, there are no visual effects.

My schizophrenic friend is never free from her psychosis. If she doesn't take her medications, she starts decompensating. Then the voices and thoughts return.

I was told only 15% of diagnosed Schizophrenics lead lives without some sort of support. The mental illness is that crippling. My friend lives in a group home because her family doesn't want her around anymore. When her psychosis is bad, it's really bad and there is no talking to her.

I don't know any schizophrenics who are working a regular job, but I know many bipolars who work full or part time with no special accommodations.
Maybe the working ones REALLY keep it one the down low due to stigma. I don't know.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 7:39 pm

I'd say bipolar. By definition, a bipolar person has to experience depression at some point. Whereas schizophrenia doesn't necessarily affect your mood. So at least some schizophrenics will have never experienced a depressive episode, which is a big plus.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 1:07 pm

Filibroski wrote:
Out of the two severe mental disorders listed above, which is, in your personal opinion, worse - the severe form of bipolar illness (type I/manic depression) or schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia is usually more debilitating.

Why?

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 12:54 am

Mood trumps cognition in terms of quality of life IMO.

However, schizophrenia often goes hand in hand with depression or apathy.

Psychosis can sometimes be a pleasant experience actually. However, in the case of schizophrenia, I think most sufferers would say that it is not pleasant at all.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2015, 5:35 pm

Filibroski wrote:

Well I have neither condition, so I can't really say that I know the answer to that question. I don't think it is wise to compare the two because they are two distinct mental illnesses. They are not in competition with each other.