Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2015, 11:30 am

Especially people who have conditions other than autism/Asperger's. Do you enjoy this site and feel comfortable here? Does the communication style suit you? Is there anything you find surprising or confusing about the way people act on WP? Do you feel that you are different or similar to other site users?

SydFurry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2015, 1:34 pm

Yes, I do feel comfortable here! I feel like I'm able to express myself better, when I'm surrounded by others who are neurodivergent.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 3:54 pm

SydFurry wrote:
Yes, I do feel comfortable here! I feel like I'm able to express myself better, when I'm surrounded by others who are neurodivergent.

Do you have any diagnoses that you wouldn't mind sharing?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2015, 7:24 pm

There is some question about whether I'm on the autism spectrum. My psychologist says yes but my psychiatrist no. My psychiatrist says I'm on the schizophrenia spectrum instead, and I can see why he would think that. Nevertheless, the autism spectrum diagnoses are well established for me; for example, I was first diagnosed with PDD-NOS when I was 6 and already in special ed. I started receiving autism resource services at the age of 9, which is I think when the whole concept of autism being a disability at school started becoming common.

Nevertheless, I have never had reason to worry about being rejected here if it turns out I'm not on the autism spectrum. The forum as a whole seems accepting of all neurodivergent people, not just those on the autism spectrum.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 6:58 pm

I have OCD and a tic disorder that has for now just being lumped in as part of that. I am still seeing a neurologist for other issues that I have. I don't like it. I don't like parading disorders. I can't relate to enjoying the 'identity' of having a particular disorder.

Because I am NT (not-autistic), this place has felt hostile at times (certain members radiate hate), but I don't really care.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 6:59 pm

As long as somebody wants to learn about autism, and is not actively hostile to autism, that somebody is welcome on the Forum.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 4:29 pm

starkid wrote:
Especially people who have conditions other than autism/Asperger's. Do you enjoy this site and feel comfortable here?

I'm one of those lovely complicated people whom will never know the truth of why I am the way I am but I do know I am not NT. Only certainty is early childhood traumatization.
I don't use other AS sites and only use 1 other forum which is UK-based.
I find it heavy going here sometime and to say I enjoy it would be an overstatement. I do find it informative though and learn a lot regarding my DD who is HFA. I feel comfortable enough to post.

Quote:
Does the communication style suit you?

Some does, most doesn't.

Quote:
Is there anything you find surprising or confusing about the way people act on WP?

Would have imagined more people with an interest in neurochemistry. It does kind of surprise/confuse me when people choose to ignore the enteric nervous system as a second brain.

Quote:
Do you feel that you are different or similar to other site users?
Different.
I'm holistic, from what I have read most are reductionists.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 6:42 pm

I am comfortable here.

I have only be diagnosed with depression in my lifetime. My last psychiatrist/psychologist appointment they didn't tell me what they thought I had, but kept pushing antidepressants on me again. Totally ignoring that last time I was on them I felt worse and had suicide attempts. Idiots.

My dad's autistic, my mom definitely has some traits too when I think about it, so I was raised with not regular people. My partner whom I live with is likely ASD, but didn't get diagnosed as a child and has been told to seek a diagnosis is not necessary unless he needs to go on disability.

I may have autism. I may have BPD, I may have ADHD, I may have SPD, I may have AvPD, I may have a dissociative disorder, I may be BPD, I may be bipolar, if simple schizophrenia existed as a diagnosis in my country I could have that, I may just have autoimmune diseases that will be otherwise diagnosed that attack my nervous system which will explain it all. These are all possibilities in my head, some fit better than others. Autism + other health issues is one of the better fits I think. ADHD and SPD are my personal choices for what I have. I have doubts about having proper psychiatric evaluation, given my history with it all. Oh and regular old depression on top of it all, but that's hardly anything.

My sig is old. I seem to either be developing autistic traits or I'm just becoming more self-aware. It feels like both. I never used to stim regularly, I never used to have meltdowns like this, with this frequency, possibly ever. But alas, autism isn't a developed thing, but maybe I'm just so stressed that these things are finally showing themselves. I'm trying to not block out my emotions, I'm trying hard to not fit in so well with what other people say their daily lives are on the SPD forum, and the result is a bunch of outwardly autistic things like meltdowns and stimming. I'm actually not even sure I can fully experience emotion and communicate at the same time. Perhaps through text, but maybe not while talking. THAT's definitely an autism thing.

I never felt that I could be on the spectrum because while I might BE weird myself, up until I've gotten too physically sick, I could fit in just fine and actually enjoyed people's company, and I most certainly don't misread social situations. I see cues clear as day.

Whenever I go to forums where people are regular and social, I am not as comfortable. I tend to be seen as an ass when I'm online because it's my place where I don't have to act the 'right' way. I analyze the s**t out of everything and will argue anything and people who are similarly blunt who do not convey a bunch of emotional stuff, I can interact with. I've been banned from other forums for arguing and pointing out flaws that those people have.

I don't do well with open displays of affection and moral support that go on a lot in most psychological issues forums. Like, depression forums are rife with smilies and 'chin up' and hugs and 'I feel the same way' and then people respond, supposedly depressed people, respond with 'oh thank you for that, I feel better' and I'm just like 'that's drivel coming from stranger and I don't know how people can get attached to that and feel better from it and I sure as f**k don't want to post things like that, I don't belong in this forum'

Poor motivation

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 6:52 pm

starkid wrote:
Especially people who have conditions other than autism/Asperger's. Do you enjoy this site and feel comfortable here?
So as above, yes.
starkid wrote:
Does the communication style suit you?
better than regular communication styles
starkid wrote:
Is there anything you find surprising or confusing about the way people act on WP?
In general I think no. Then again my memory for specifics is s**t. I think I have learned a lot though.
starkid wrote:
Do you feel that you are different or similar to other site users?
I think I feel more different than most people in how I perceive myself in comparison to the world around me, but I think what/how I choose to communicate is similar.

Poor motivation

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 7:23 pm

My husband is an Aspie, and I have BP I.

I never felt anything but welcomed.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 8:03 pm

I'm probably NT. I've always been a "weird" person but I don't think it's diagnosable. I'm married to an aspie and have two autistic kids. Just as myself, I'm comfortable here. As a mother of my kids, sometimes not.

The communication style is fine. I learned English as an adult so it's good if I can take time to edit what I write (as opposed to instant messaging or something).

Nothing has shocked me so far.

Similar in some ways. Different in others, particularly due to my experience with my kids. I hold a more optimistic view of autism than a lot of parents I know, but I can't truthfully say "yeah, autism is the best, nothing but sunshine and rainbows!" when I have these kids who have profound challenges. It's kind of like we are alone on a spaceship trying to land on your planet. We are closer to your planet than earth.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 10:41 pm

Because I didn't ramble enough already, and because I think I have a good way to explain an important facet of myself in a nutshell, I feel like I'm the person whom a lot of people think autistics are. I lack emotional empathy and so I do well around people who do not display emotional empathy very well.

Poor motivation

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:53 pm

Some people who are on this site may have joined because they suspected they were on the spectrum. When they turn out not to have ASD, they're not gonna just up and leave if they are already accustomed to the community. Plus, I hear us spergs are a lot of fun (but that is purely anecdotal).

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 4:12 am

I'm mild if anything. I feel like I understand people. I just have severe social anxiety that interferes with socialization. People don't understand me very well since I don't express emotions much in person. I certainly feel emotions though.