Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 3:20 am

I may have had some repetitive behaviors as a child, but I can't remember, my mom can't remember, and my dad is dead, so I assume that I had none since I have no access to the truth.

btbnnyr wrote:
What are the repetitive behaviors developed in adulthood?

Rocking, finger flicking, hand flapping, occasional echolalia. The first time I noticed myself do it was age 27 or 28.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 3:22 am

GoofyGreatDane wrote:
That depends on whether or not the repetitive behaviors look like those of autism spectrum or not. If they could better be explained as a tic, OCD like behavior, or a retreat into a bizarre hobby/lifestyle due to social isolation- then I wouldn't diagnose autism.

That's an interesting idea because I didn't really start stimming often until after I became homeless.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 8:32 am

You could have controlled yourself hard or been oblivious to your stims.
I don´t believe, that AS necessarily have to present itself with classic stims in age toddler.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 11:24 am

Perhaps you developed some repetitive behaviors as anxious responses in adulthood.
On a show about OCD, some of the OCD people were stimming like mad.

If someone has repetitive behaviors in childhood, the most likely scenario is that parent would remember, because repetitive behaviors are so repetitive that parent would notice and wonder why you were doing something so much, and even more so if it was a weird stim, and they may have tried and failed to get rid of it.