Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 9:26 am

I was disturbed to read this PRI piece about schools in the US referring disproportionate numbers of disabled students to the juvenile justice system for criminal prosecution.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-04-10/h ... 6th-grader

That such systems should show the typical patterns of institutional racism endemic to the United States is depressing but not surprising. What did surprise me is the harsh treatment of developmentally delayed and learning disabled students including autistic students, as in the featured story of the criminal prosecution of 11 year old Kayleb Moon-Robinson.

There is a very good, very disheartening data set from the Center for Public Integrity.

Some key data:

Quote:
About 26 percent of all students referred to law enforcement nationally were special-needs kids — kids with physical or learning disabilities — even though these kids represent only 14 percent of US enrollment.

And a telling quote from Catherine Lhamon, assistant secretary of education for civil rights:
Quote:
“A red flag for us, consistently,” Lhamon added, “is catchall terms, like ‘disorderly conduct,’ that leave too much discretion that is unfettered,” she said. If that term isn’t well defined, she said, then schools leave open the possibility of discrimination against certain students.

In Virginia, according to the national data the Center analyzed, about 30 percent of students schools referred to law enforcement two years ago were special-needs kids — who were only 14 percent of the state’s students. About 38 percent of students referred to law enforcement were black, even though black kids were only a quarter of Virginia’s enrollment.

It seems the disproportionate criminalization of special needs kids is even more severe than the usual racism, though I am sure there is plenty of overlap and would expect to find harsher treatment of nonwhite special needs kids--though that data wasn't clear in the report.

But this is affecting a lot of people in a huge way. I feel like something has to be done, but I am not sure what would be the most effective way. The tangle of state and local laws and shared culpability for these civil rights abuses between police departments and school boards makes it really hard to know how to approach reforming these abuses.

I didn't see anything from ASAN about this.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 10:41 am

This is outrageous. Sending kids into the criminal justice system for school infractions doesn't help anyone.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 10:53 am

I have written elsewhere on Wrong Planet that this policy is evidence of the penalizing of public education. Our nation's schools have become miniature prisons armed with "resource" law-enforcement officers who are too stupid to be a security guard while taking out their anger and sense of superiority on humans half their size or less. How manly!

I believe that the educational system sees little about this that is criminal because they are generally just as complicit with their almost universal support of Applied Behavioral Analysis treatments which use "aversive therapy."

In other words, this is nothing but thuggish gangs ganging up with other thuggish gangs to gang up together against children with disabilities. And, nobody in the "system" sees anything wrong with this. Meanwhile, think of the kind of human it takes to do this to kids.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 2:20 pm

It's too bad that the zero violent policy is causing all this. This doesn't protect students with sensory issues who may react to touch and all he did was kick over a trash can, it's not like he threw things at anyone or tossed any furniture or attack anyone. He didn't break anything either and no one was hurt. Also the fact that kids with behavior disorders and behavior issues are getting arrested but my husband thinks that is the only way they will get help including autistic kids who are aggressive. Also what about bully victims who get into fights too? They're not protected either.

While I do think these kids should get help and treatment, I don't think arresting them is going to make them stop and I don't think they should have a criminal record from their childhood.

it also sounds like it's not only special needs students getting arrested, it's normal kids too also getting arrested. I am so glad my son's school didn't decide to call the police and have my son arrested for pushing other kids or biting one of them. Instead he got sent home after the bite incident. I think that was a severe enough punishment for him to not do that again because he loves going to school. Also they moved him to a smaller class so he was less overwhelmed because he was having to many behavior problems.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 2:40 pm

Why assume the system is racist? Is it not possible in your world view for a specific culture to produce a general oppositional-defiant attitude that engenders and encourages clashes with authority and actually assigns "street cred" to individuals for having served prison time? Don't be brainwashed by cherry-picked statistics and emotionally charged rhetoric. Often people are the source of their own problems.

"Special Needs" youth, by definition are at out of place a system designed to create and maintain order, and without adequate parenting are likely to be discipline problems. I do think that system needs to be prepared to recognize and support those needs, but standards of civilized behavior, for good or ill, must begin at home. If a special needs student enters the system unprepared to manage his or her own frustrations, engage in the learning process and treat others with respect, then creating specialized programs and tools to help them is a moot point - they're a lost cause before they even begin. You can't save everyone and it is not society's responsibility to do so.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Quote:
Doss said the judge had a deputy show him a cell, and told him if he gets into trouble again he could go straight to youth detention.

“He said that Kayleb had been handled with kid gloves. And that he understood that Kayleb had special needs, but that he needed to ‘man up,’ that he needed to behave better,”

What I bolded tells you all you need to know about the all to familiar attitude about this. "Man Up"? this is a boy. We have criminalized kicking a can in anger, really? Then we need to arrest nearly every professional and amateur athlete whom had a bad day. That used to be considered a normal behavior known as "blowing off steam".

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:19 am

1. If school employees don't know how to handle a child, juvie is a convenient way to get rid of them. Terrible. I've known 'uncontrollable' kids who needed only a little bit of attention and structure, and suddenly they were outperforming the rest of the class.

2. Teachers do not care about teaching or about the kids. They care about getting to the end of the day, the end of the school year, and retirement. They want only a paycheck and summers off and a nice, big retirement package (which they get because they are not part of Social Security); it's a big draw to lazy people. To teachers, kids are cattle.

3. The American school system (grades K-12) is the highest-funded school system in the world; we should be creating students that have the best education in the world. Yet we ranked #18 in the world for education in 2013, with ONLY A 99% LITERACY RATE AT GRADUATION! That means that 1 in every 100 students GRADUATES HIGH SCHOOL without being able to read! That's a terrible, awful track record. The entire system should be deconstructed, defunded, and rebuilt from scratch. Everyone employed by a school system ought to be fired, and all school boards should be disbanded. Yet all I hear about the American school system is how 'drastically underfunded' it is because no one wants to be the guy who proposes taking money away from schoolchildren. Problem is, the benefit of all that money isn't going to the kids. If it were, we'd be #1, in the ranking our money paid for.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:02 pm

Adamantium wrote:
I was disturbed to read this PRI piece about schools in the US referring disproportionate numbers of disabled students to the juvenile justice system for criminal prosecution.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-04-10/h ... 6th-grader

That such systems should show the typical patterns of institutional racism endemic to the United States is depressing but not surprising. What did surprise me is the harsh treatment of developmentally delayed and learning disabled students including autistic students, as in the featured story of the criminal prosecution of 11 year old Kayleb Moon-Robinson.

There is a very good, very disheartening data set from the Center for Public Integrity.

Some key data:
Quote:
About 26 percent of all students referred to law enforcement nationally were special-needs kids — kids with physical or learning disabilities — even though these kids represent only 14 percent of US enrollment.

And a telling quote from Catherine Lhamon, assistant secretary of education for civil rights:
Quote:
“A red flag for us, consistently,” Lhamon added, “is catchall terms, like ‘disorderly conduct,’ that leave too much discretion that is unfettered,” she said. If that term isn’t well defined, she said, then schools leave open the possibility of discrimination against certain students.

In Virginia, according to the national data the Center analyzed, about 30 percent of students schools referred to law enforcement two years ago were special-needs kids — who were only 14 percent of the state’s students. About 38 percent of students referred to law enforcement were black, even though black kids were only a quarter of Virginia’s enrollment.

It seems the disproportionate criminalization of special needs kids is even more severe than the usual racism, though I am sure there is plenty of overlap and would expect to find harsher treatment of nonwhite special needs kids--though that data wasn't clear in the report.

But this is affecting a lot of people in a huge way. I feel like something has to be done, but I am not sure what would be the most effective way. The tangle of state and local laws and shared culpability for these civil rights abuses between police departments and school boards makes it really hard to know how to approach reforming these abuses.

I didn't see anything from ASAN about this.

Virginia has the highest rate for imprisoning disabled kids and kids in general... In the recession, they cut spending from the Special Ed programs across most of the state and the cut it down to bare bones in my city. Now that the state's income is back to where it was before the recession, they've decided to not increase the spending on Special Ed back to where it was. I wouldn't be surprised if the rate of imprisoning disabled kids increased greatly when they cut spending on special ed.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:45 pm

I think because of faulty logic in the U.S. that says everyone is equal and is, or should be, the same. Equal doesn't mean the same though.

And when kids aren't the same or learn differently there's so much pressure they should try harder, parents should try harder, everyone needs to fit in and be the same. We put money into it rather than understanding. And we define kids as "failing" because they don't fit in, or don't learn like others.

It takes a lot of willpower for a kid to be ok with different when very few around them are.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 9:21 pm

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
1. If school employees don't know how to handle a child, juvie is a convenient way to get rid of them. Terrible. I've known 'uncontrollable' kids who needed only a little bit of attention and structure, and suddenly they were outperforming the rest of the class.

2. Teachers do not care about teaching or about the kids. They care about getting to the end of the day, the end of the school year, and retirement. They want only a paycheck and summers off and a nice, big retirement package (which they get because they are not part of Social Security); it's a big draw to lazy people. To teachers, kids are cattle.

3. The American school system (grades K-12) is the highest-funded school system in the world; we should be creating students that have the best education in the world. Yet we ranked #18 in the world for education in 2013, with ONLY A 99% LITERACY RATE AT GRADUATION! That means that 1 in every 100 students GRADUATES HIGH SCHOOL without being able to read! That's a terrible, awful track record. The entire system should be deconstructed, defunded, and rebuilt from scratch. Everyone employed by a school system ought to be fired, and all school boards should be disbanded. Yet all I hear about the American school system is how 'drastically underfunded' it is because no one wants to be the guy who proposes taking money away from schoolchildren. Problem is, the benefit of all that money isn't going to the kids. If it were, we'd be #1, in the ranking our money paid for.

1. Yes, do you recall the Kids for Cash scandal in Pennsylvania?

2. The teachers that do care are pressured to perform less well. My father is a professor at a local college, but he used to teach highschool and he tells horror stories about the things he had to do that got in the way of teaching. Even local politics got in the way of teaching, he failed a student who happened to be the son of a local government official... and things got bad.

3.The 99% literacy rate at graduation is minimum literacy too, I wonder what the rate of literate graduates requiring several semesters of remedial English classes?

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 7:07 am

Protogenoi wrote:
do you recall the Kids for Cash scandal in Pennsylvania?

I've never heard of Kids for Cash, but it sounds deplorable. I live in Ohio but within an hour of the Pennsylvania border.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 9:22 am

jimmyboy76453 wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

I've never heard of Kids for Cash, but it sounds deplorable. I live in Ohio but within an hour of the Pennsylvania border.

Here is a short summary:
President Judge Mark Ciavarella and Senior Judge Michael Conahan adjudicated children to extended stays in youth centers for first offenses as minimal as mocking a principal on Myspace, trespassing in a vacant building, or shoplifting DVDs from Wal-mart. Ciavarella was caught in tax evasion in connection with receiving $2.6 million in payments from managers at local juvenile detention centers. They "violated the rights of as many as 6000 young people by denying them basic rights to counsel and handing down outrageously excessive sentences. The lives of these young people and their families were changed forever."

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 11:03 am

Protogenoi wrote:
jimmyboy76453 wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

Here is a short summary:
President Judge Mark Ciavarella and Senior Judge Michael Conahan adjudicated children to extended stays in youth centers for first offenses as minimal as mocking a principal on Myspace, trespassing in a vacant building, or shoplifting DVDs from Wal-mart. Ciavarella was caught in tax evasion in connection with receiving $2.6 million in payments from managers at local juvenile detention centers. They "violated the rights of as many as 6000 young people by denying them basic rights to counsel and handing down outrageously excessive sentences. The lives of these young people and their families were changed forever."

It seems like a 'Senior Judge' and a 'President Judge' would have money already, so why would they need to take part in this scam?

They weren't content with their big house, they wanted yachts as well?

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 12:07 pm

slenkar wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
jimmyboy76453 wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

Here is a short summary:

It seems like a 'Senior Judge' and a 'President Judge' would have money already, so why would they need to take part in this scam?

My assumption appears to have been correct, that is deplorable.

You'll find, slenkar, that people with money never feel they have enough money. There is no such thing as enough. It's the same situation with power; those who have it are always seeking ways to get more. Of course, that's a generalization; not everyone will fit that profile, but many do.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 12:11 pm

slenkar wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
jimmyboy76453 wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:

Here is a short summary:

Conahan covered up for Ciavarella, so that was probably a career move...
Ciavarella claims that he was motivated to keep schools safe and that he believes he was acting in such a way as to prevent another Columbine Massacre... :? I don't believe him.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2015, 12:20 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Conahan covered up for Ciavarella, so that was probably a career move...
Ciavarella claims that he was motivated to keep schools safe and that he believes he was acting in such a way as to prevent another Columbine Massacre... :? I don't believe him.

I don't believe him, either. Especially since prison has been shown to increase criminal behavior rather than reform it. What he was doing, and he should be aware of this as a judge, was creating more criminals.