new Aspie over here! can we talk stimming?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

kirstiieeyyy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2015, 12:52 pm

Hello,

so ive recently been to see a psychologist who has confirmed i have Asperges so i am now just waiting upon my official assessment and diagnosis, however, i have been told that this is a very long waiting list for adults so it could take a few years for that very appointment.

Anyway, i wanted to see who else uses this site as id like to find people who have similar traits as me and discuss them since my friends try super hard, but, i feel the understanding and reasoning behind everything i do becomes lost in translation with them.

Anyway, boring intro over!! !! !! !

maybe my first post could be about stimming? what do you do to stim?

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm

Hey kirstiieeyyy welcome. :sunny:

justme2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2015, 5:31 pm

Well... Min involves rubbing my hands together really fast in a way that they also kind of drum on a table. Also feels better if I can say "eeee" and tense all my face muscles up, kind of like a smile. If I can't do that I like to flick my thumb with each of my fingers. Also lots of picking my scalp, skin and fingernails. What's yours?

ginacc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2015, 6:41 am

Hello
Pleased to meet you :)
My stims are;
-Flicking thumb with fingernails (justme2 stim twins ;) )
-shaking my legs
-biting my nails and the skin around them
-clicking my middle knuckles on my fingers

The awkwardness when someone asks what I'm doing....
I don't think NTs know what they're missing, its so relaxing

lyzpg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2015, 2:31 pm

Hi! Nice meeting you :)

I have to admit, I had to google 'stimming'. Lots to learn still :oops: After some thought, I could pinpoint some things: biting (I find it incredibly relaxing, specially running the indent), 'popping' my joints (elbows, wrists, knucles, back, neck... you name it), and I don't remember what it feels like to sit with my legs completely still. I get all sorts of nosy comments for either of the three :roll:

confusing_myself
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2015, 12:19 pm

Hi nice to meet you! Welcome! :)

I didn't realize how many of these sorts of things I was doing until recently. :oops:
Not sure if these all 'count', but some of the things I like to do are
...bounce my heels up and down while sitting w/my feet on the floor
...wiggle my two big toes a lot (which makes the joints pop loud sometimes but I don't really notice it)
...play with my tongue obsessively over certain parts of my teeth
...drum fingers on things
...run hands over objects a lot, I especially like touching fabrics and items in stores
...I've noticed that pulling arm hairs (w/tweezers) is sometimes oddly relaxing
also, if I'm lying down on my side, sometimes I rock just a little bit back and forth, sometimes
if I am having trouble falling asleep this knocks me right out. :D

- Rebecca

TAL3113
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Apr 2015, 8:16 pm

Hmm. Until last month I never realized just how many things I do like this. I noticed I always fiddle with pens or pop my toes. I always thought it was just me with the bouncing heels thing. I still don't really get why I always have to keep my hands in my pockets when I walk or it just doesn't feel right. :?

Keiichiiownsu12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2015, 3:06 am

hello kirstiieeyyy and welcome to the forums!

I've recently developed one, kind of purposely, to combat anxiety: slightly exaggerated breathing. It's based off breathing exercises from band, done with a rythm, but in a way that makes sense to me. One (two* and breath* said in unison), then let out on 3. hehe. . .this count as stim?

DDknight
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2015, 5:50 pm

Hi kirstiieeyyy
Welcome I am actually pretty new my self lol I got diagnosed way back some ten years or so ago those tests drove me crazy lol.
Well any way welcome hope I see u around

DDknight

21 Apr 2015, 5:52 pm

Hi kirstiieeyyy
Welcome I am ryan but please call me Rai actually pretty new my self lol I got diagnosed way back some ten years or so ago those tests drove me crazy lol.
Well any way welcome hope I see u around

Neon Noir
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2015, 10:37 pm

Hey Kirstie! I used to pull on my hair a lot when I would feel anxious, but I wear it extremely short these days. Now I mainly rub my hands together as if they were cold.