When NeuroTypicals(Norms) get their first girlfriends

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2015, 12:26 am

PlasticManGNB wrote:
From what i have learned from my life with the normal populations is that, seemingly, they are not only guaranteed to get girlfriends/boyfriends, but to get them before they are 13!!

Ok, even I'm calling bs on that.

halleluhwah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2015, 12:59 am

314pe wrote:
Do you guys think that most people on this site struggle with dating because they have too high standards?

I do think that's part of it. There are a lot of people on here who want to find a partner who's conventionally attractive, when obviously not everybody on this website is going to end up with a very conventionally attractive gf/bf (since unattractive people also have relationships).

A lot of people also expect to find a partner who immediately understands all of their needs and sees past their social/emotional inadequacies. Even NTs need to work on themselves when they're in a relationship, and sometimes all it takes is communication and being open and clear about those needs. You also need to reciprocate and understand your partner's shortcomings to some point.

The weird thing is that a lot of the men I've seen on here seem unwilling to consider aspie women as a viable option. :/

314pe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 1:40 am

halleluhwah wrote:
The weird thing is that a lot of the men I've seen on here seem unwilling to consider aspie women as a viable option. :/

I'd love to date an aspie, but I couldn't even maintain a friendship with aspie women I've met. It's really unfortunate, because they were really great. Maybe I'm too quirky even for them.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 1:50 am

Jono wrote:
314pe wrote:
Do you guys think that most people on this site struggle with dating because they have too high standards?

No, the biggest reason why most people on this site struggle with dating is because they struggle with social skills in general, which is actually one of the diagnostic criteria for both Asperger syndrome as defined by the DSM 4 as well one of the diagnostic criteria for ASD as given in the DSM 5.

No, the biggest reason is that they even consider doing typical dating instead of trying to meet women in more natural environments. And social skills has absolutely nothing to do with it, and neither does DSM. FYI, relationship issues are not part of ASD diagnosis.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 3:00 am

halleluhwah wrote:

I've had bad experiences with aspies in person. combine that with the giant variances and limited aspie women(odds of meeting one) compared to the amount of possible compatible nts. also seems quite a few aspie women are of the no sex or touching type. while I'm of the love touching and sex end the spectrum , so much more likely to find a touch loving nt then aspie. plus apies in my area have just been rude and mean.

met one who would likely be a good match but too far away :(

but yeah I'd be less willing to date an aspie then nt woman. i mean fights with aspies will be way worse then nt. both will be stuck on their side. me and my mom will have fights even though we are saying the same thing just slightly different. my nt sister has to point this out. if both is aspie in relationship will will realize that and point it out.

theres also a lot of men/women here who would only date aspies seeing us as some kind of super race and only possible compatible people for them.

I see aspies for what we are, people. people who can be nice, but people that can be horribly mean. just like all humans.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 4:57 am

rdos wrote:
Jono wrote:
314pe wrote:

No, the biggest reason why most people on this site struggle with dating is because they struggle with social skills in general, which is actually one of the diagnostic criteria for both Asperger syndrome as defined by the DSM 4 as well one of the diagnostic criteria for ASD as given in the DSM 5.

No, the biggest reason is that they even consider doing typical dating instead of trying to meet women in more natural environments.

I don't know what "natural environments" are supposed to be but even if you are in an environment where it feels more natural to you then you still need to be able to gage interest and ask at an appropriate time in order to be successful. In practice a lot of aspies (especially men) even mistake someone being nice to them as interest when in fact they're only being polite (believe me, I've got personal experience with this) because they have deficits in understanding non-verbal forms of communication. You have to understand that if you're trying to meet women in "natural environments" like in special interest or activity groups or conferences or wherever, then women who are there are probably not there specifically to meet someone and some of them actually don't want to have men hitting on them.

rdos wrote:
And social skills has absolutely nothing to do with it, and neither does DSM. FYI, relationship issues are not part of ASD diagnosis.

Really? Dating does not require social skills? Because it is after all a form of social interaction. Relationship issues are indeed part of ASD diagnosis and here's a direct quote to prove it:

Quote:
A3. Deficits in developing and maintaining relationships, appropriate to developmental level (beyond those with caregivers); ranging from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit different social contexts through difficulties in sharing imaginative play and in making friends to an apparent absence of interest in people

https://depts.washington.edu/dbpeds/Screening%20Tools/DSM-5(ASD.Guidelines)Feb2013.pdf

As you can see, it applies to all kinds of relationships, including establishing and maintaining friendships. Romantic relationships are the same kind of relationship as a friendship but further along down the continuum. Therefore, if you have trouble establishing friendships, then you'll definitely have trouble forming romantic relationships. It's also instructive to look at the second criterion as well because the difficulty with non-verbal communication affects one's ability to gage if someone has mutual interest:

Quote:
A2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction; ranging from poorly integrated‐ verbal and nonverbal communication, through abnormalities in eye contact and body‐language, or deficits in understanding and use of nonverbal communication, to total lack of facial expression or gestures.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 6:32 am

halleluhwah wrote:
A lot of people also expect to find a partner who immediately understands all of their needs and sees past their social/emotional inadequacies. Even NTs need to work on themselves when they're in a relationship, and sometimes all it takes is communication and being open and clear about those needs. You also need to reciprocate and understand your partner's shortcomings to some point.

I don't expect someone who immediately sees past my social/emotional inadequacies but at the same time I don't want to be immediately written off because I have them. Do a search on the internet and you'll see a lot people "warning" others not to get romantically involved with an aspie (see Cassandra phenomenon).

halleluhwah wrote:

There is a skewed male/female gender ratio with respect to people who are diagnosed with AS/ASD though, usually 4 times more men than women. So, although I'd be willing to consider aspie women as an option, I wouldn't limit myself to them. There aren't enough of them to enable all AS people to pair up with another aspie.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 7:36 am

Jono wrote:
I don't know what "natural environments" are supposed to be but even if you are in an environment where it feels more natural to you then you still need to be able to gage interest and ask at an appropriate time in order to be successful.

Of course. That's easy. If they are neurodiverse. If not, I don't care as I'm not interested in NT women.

Jono wrote:
In practice a lot of aspies (especially men) even mistake someone being nice to them as interest when in fact they're only being polite (believe me, I've got personal experience with this) because they have deficits in understanding non-verbal forms of communication.

Possibly with NTs, but who cares?

Jono wrote:
You have to understand that if you're trying to meet women in "natural environments" like in special interest or activity groups or conferences or wherever, then women who are there are probably not there specifically to meet someone and some of them actually don't want to have men hitting on them.

Some are single and want to meet somebody. That's all you need. They don't need to be actively searching.

Jono wrote:
Really? Dating does not require social skills? Because it is after all a form of social interaction. Relationship issues are indeed part of ASD diagnosis and here's a direct quote to prove it:

No, it doesn't. Dating is a person-to-person communication, and not a social function. Aspies typically do not have problems in one-on-one situations.

Jono wrote:

Quote:
A3. Deficits in developing and maintaining relationships, appropriate to developmental level (beyond those with caregivers); ranging from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit different social contexts through difficulties in sharing imaginative play and in making friends to an apparent absence of interest in people

That has absolutely nothing to do with meeting a partner.

Jono wrote:
As you can see, it applies to all kinds of relationships, including establishing and maintaining friendships. Romantic relationships are the same kind of relationship as a friendship but further along down the continuum. Therefore, if you have trouble establishing friendships, then you'll definitely have trouble forming romantic relationships. It's also instructive to look at the second criterion as well because the difficulty with non-verbal communication affects one's ability to gage if someone has mutual interest:

There is not one and only one way to do non-verbal communication. If you are interested in a neurodiverse girl, she is likely to transmit neurodiverse non-verbal communication signals (stims, eye contact with quick glances and related), and neurodiverse people have no problems understanding those naturally. You have bought the disorder model without thinking and your claims are nothing but uninformed and ridiculous.

And no, relationships and friendships are not similar. In fact, they have nothing in common.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 8:41 am

Jono wrote:

Quote:

https://depts.washington.edu/dbpeds/Screening%20Tools/DSM-5(ASD.Guidelines)Feb2013.pdf

It's the apparent absence of interest that concerns me the most. For me, it's never been about lacking interest in others. It's been more about how to display that interest. I've wavered between two extremes--either expressing interest inappropriately (and scaring off potential dates), or not showing it at all (and coming across as self-absorbed). These days I'm favoring the less-is-more approach. I'll be the first to admit I still need a LOT of work.

Gauldoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2015, 1:13 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
darkphantomx1 wrote:
I'm also slightly bemused by the idea that it is easier for women to find mates than men. The gender ratio in humans is 1:1. Homosexuality is rare, asexuality is very rare, and polygamy is all but unheard of. Unless you live in an area that attracts male migrants but not female ones, it will be no easier for women to find mates, almost by definition.

I disagree with this, formal, official polygamy may be uncommon. But unofficial, informal, "soft" polygamy has pretty much been rampant in every society throughout Human history. Sadly, it's natural order of things for a few "top" men to end up monopolizing all the women, leaving lesser men like us with nothing.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 7:32 pm

almost always it's by their late teens or early 20's