It sort of makes sense. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Yes. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 46

Sum
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2015, 11:36 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wr ... te-5521499

We are in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders so this would apply to us too. I am in the United States but I imagine this might start getting discussed here too as more wackos crash planes into mountains.

It just feels wrong.

Post Scriptum
Actually come to think of it in the United States would not hippaa laws Make this illegal.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 4:36 pm

Only if it is justifiable.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 4:45 pm

Heck no.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 4:46 pm

With apologies to our Wrong Planetians from the United Kingdom, the U.K. government hasn't truly understood the right to privacy from government intrusion since ... 1776?

Not that our U.S. government could claim innocence in that regard, either.

For me the question ends at "Should we be forced...?"

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

thewrite1

16 Apr 2015, 4:46 pm

Hell no. We're stigmatized enough without someone forcing us to wear a big sign. It's one thing if you choose to wear a wristband (for example, someone needing accommodations might wear a wristband to ensure he/she gets them), but to be forced to wear one? No. Just no.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 4:51 pm

thewrite1 wrote:
Hell no. We're stigmatized enough without someone forcing us to wear a big sign. It's one thing if you choose to wear a wristband (for example, someone needing accommodations might wear a wristband to ensure he/she gets them), but to be forced to wear one? No. Just no.

Maybe the wristband proponents in the U.K. government could resurrect the color schemes that German Nazis developed for their concentration-camp badges (the "mentally ill" were forced to wear black badges). Why waste government funds just to reinvent the wheel?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 4:56 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
With apologies to our Wrong Planetians from the United Kingdom, the U.K. government hasn't truly understood the right to privacy from government intrusion since ... 1776?

Not that our U.S. government could claim innocence in that regard, either.

For me the question ends at "Should we be forced...?"

AspieUtah wrote:
Maybe the wristband proponents in the U.K. government could resurrect the color schemes that German Nazis developed for their concentration-camp badges (the "mentally ill" were forced to wear black badges). Why waste government funds just to reinvent the wheel?

Hear! Hear!

Its not like it would serve any sort of medic alert purpose, but even if it did, the word "forced" immediately makes the answer a resounding NO. The minute your government starts "forcing" people to do anything, you need a new government.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 5:05 pm

It's not the same as those medic alert bracelets that can save a person's life. If anything it could endanger a person's life even more. And why should we be "forced" to wear them? Is it going to be a law or something?

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 5:16 pm

Actually the woman who made this offensive suggestion is only an as-yet unelected Conservative candidate in the upcoming UK election, so she has no authority to put this idea before Parliament, let alone implement it. She was also swiftly disowned by politicians from all parties.

She is of Indian or Pakistani origin. I wonder how she would feel if she were required to wear a badge stating her ethnicity?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 5:30 pm

I don't like the idea of wearing anything which might put a stigma onto me.

What's the purpose of wristbands for people with autism anyway?

It also reminds me of the "Scarlet Letter."

Now....for severely autistic people who wander off, I would advocate that those people wear GPS devices.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 5:40 pm

will@rd wrote:
Hear! Hear!

Its not like it would serve any sort of medic alert purpose, but even if it did, the word "forced" immediately makes the answer a resounding NO. The minute your government starts "forcing" people to do anything, you need a new government.

Yep!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 5:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't like the idea of wearing anything which might put a stigma onto me....

It wouldn't be much worse than the stigma of being one of my (few) Wrong Planet friends! Oops, I have said too much already. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 6:44 pm

That's all right, buddy.

I don't mind being a friend to a good person.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 6:50 pm

No. It will also backfire on them if they do it. The more it's stigmatized, put out publicly and discriminated against, the less likely that people will seek help. Thereby actually making the problem worse.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 6:56 pm

Something else that's wrong with the world today, best add it to the list. Wonder what the number is at now :|

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 9:15 pm

Might as well say hello to Nazi Britain.