Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 9:34 pm

I sometimes have a similar problem of uncontrollably shaking my foot or an entire leg in a similar fashion. Really hate being idle if I'm not mentally occupied :|

CanisHumanis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2015, 9:49 pm

Commander wrote:
I sometimes have a similar problem of uncontrollably shaking my foot or an entire leg in a similar fashion. Really hate being idle if I'm not mentally occupied :|

Yeah, it's like something always has to be busy to balance things out.

I mostly do this in bed with my feet hanging off the edge. If I'm sitting, I'll just play imaginary double-bass drums. Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy off of my toes.

And yes, I do play drums a bit, IRL. I think drumming may be a good thing for some folks on the spectrum.

ETA: I cannot wear shoes which aren't roomy enough for me to curl my toes in. No way!

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 9:56 pm

CanisHumanis wrote:
And yes, I do play drums a bit, IRL. I think drumming may be a good thing for some folks on the spectrum.

I don't play much anymore, but I use to play the drums a lot back when I was in band in high school. I loved playing bass drum and organized all of the music and other things in the section. Since everyone else was apparently lazy I took the task upon myself, annoying NT's. One of the best four year experiences I ever had :)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 10:10 pm

clenching my teeth, followed by rubbing my hands together as if to warm them.

beaderbec95
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Apr 2015, 12:08 am

my most stim would have to be sucking my thumb on my right hand and rocking / sway side to side ( only front and back at home or in sensory overload / meltdown) and i constantly fidget and i keep little toys / beads , fabric with me at all times and hat and sun glasses to use for sensory issues that i would also classifier as stimming i also have a genetic condition with make me able to dislocate my body in a lot of places so i click my thumbs out and wrist and my right ankle as i can move my left. i also keep ear phones in most of the time even when i'm not listening to music.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 4:46 am

Pacing. Distant pacing. Fiddling my hair and/or hands.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 4:52 am

Rocking back and forth. Drumming/patting/slapping (gently) myself. Humming and growling.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 5:28 am

Like cathylinn, rubbing palms, - but more often fingerflickering.
I tend to rock softly, when alone, - but I´m wondering...is this flapping?: Bending elbow and shaking the hand vivaceously to clear a "dead" sensation in my wrist - only the left. It happens, when I´m tense and have difficulty focusing on my task. It is an outlet of ecxess energy.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 6:05 am

Wiggling toes, jiggling foot / leg, doing something with my fingers----like, folding them over each other, or something similar.

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2015, 7:26 am

I leg bounce and pace extensively at work and at home. At work I leg bounce most of the time I'm at my desk. When I get home I will pace up and down/round and round for hours. Those are probably the most used.

Other common ones are I sniff fingers a lot, play with my beard, gently tap myself, tap a cup I'm holding with a clenched hand etc

Shoggothgoat wrote:
Do other people sit with one foot on top of the other? I read somewhere that it was common for aspies to sit with one foot 90 degrees from the floor with the other foot horizontal on top.

Yes most definitely. Often this is combined with the top leg gently bouncing.

Last edited by thewheel on 17 Apr 2015, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 7:28 am

thewheel wrote:
I leg bounce and pace extensively at work and at home. At work I leg bounce most of the time I'm at my desk. When I get home I will pace up and down/round and round for hours. Those are probably the most used.

Other common ones are I sniff fingers a lot, play with my beard, gently tap myself, tap a cup I'm holding with a clenched hand etc

Shoggothgoat wrote:
Do other people sit with one foot on top of the other? I read somewhere that it was common for aspies to sit with one foot 90 degrees from the floor with the other foot horizontal on top.

Yes, often this is combined with the top leg gently bouncing.

anytime I call someone or I, just thinking aloud to myself I'm generally pacing. Can't help but play with my beard or tap cups, always like the beat for some reason

lyzpg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2015, 7:47 am

It wasn't until this week that I started pinpointing my stimming behaviors, but turns out I have several. For instance, I leg-bounce whenever I have to sit for more than two minutes. I also like spinning things (cellphone, pens, whatever has the misfortune of being in my hands). If I'm overstimulated I bite and pull the skin of my fingers until there are temporary marks (which are hard to hide). When I have an outright meltdown I can't calm down until I hit stuff with my fist, but usually where I won't be found doing so (like my poor car).

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Apr 2015, 8:02 am

My pacing is absorptive, everything else apart from the thing I'm focusing on (reading/music/thoughts etc) largely disappears. That's why I can do it for hours, all sense of the passage of time is lost.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 8:06 am

Pick, pick, picking at the skin on the side of my left thumb, all my life. It's so thick and calloused that there is no pain involved, just big wedges of thick skin and always bits to pick off or bite off. I try not to do it in a public place but I knock myself out when at home. I seem to do it both when anxious and when calm, so I don't really understand what's going on there. It's almost like a hobby. One sister of mine did it too.

My next most-used would be a tie between foot-bouncing when sitting with legs crossed, or pacing. I pace the most when stressed and anxious, usually when anticipating an event or encounter that will be stressful for me, or after the fact, when I get home and then can't stop thinking about and going over what just happened or was said. I also pace about if talking on the phone at home.

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2015, 8:38 am

Shaking my foot/leg and tapping. The tapping tends to piss people off and it's only when they moan about it that I realise I'm doing it.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 11:54 am

Seems to be hurting myself. Rubbing my skin really hard, itching/scratching excessively, biting myself, hitting my head, hitting myself, and in extreme situations using scissors for the scratching. Yeah, that was going ok, and all of a sudden I end up with a massive open wound which got 5 stitches. I have a scar and not touching scissors when overloaded/whelmed again. But it's mainly scratching with my hands. I dunno why, and I dunno how to stop it either.