Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 9:22 am

New York Times - When a Plane Seat Next to a Woman is Against Orthodox Faith

So Heredim (ultra orthodox Jews) are delaying flights by refusing to sit next to women. Apparently we are so sexually tempting they cannot be close to us.

Women are joining in a "don't give up your seat campaign."

I would find such a request to be against my human rights. If someone's perfume is making you nauseous that's one thing, but to not want to sit next to someone because of who they are is discriminatory.

The New Yorker - Where are Israeli Women?

Quote:
Over the past decade, however, as the Haredim have grown in numbers and influence, women’s equality has significantly declined. In 2011, a female pediatrics professor was forbidden from going onstage to collect an award given by the Health Ministry; she was instructed to send a male colleague to accept it on her behalf. The same year, in the city of Beit Shemesh, where almost half the population identifies as Haredi, a group of Haredi men routinely hounded and spat at an eight-year-old girl for not being dressed “modestly enough.” When four hundred women protested the introduction of segregated buses in the city, they were pummeled with stones.

It seems as if this form of Judaism is becoming more common. Are women under threat in Israel? I always thought they were egalitarian because women serve in the military, but I guess this isn't always the case.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 2:14 am

Why do airlines even cater to these people? If they don't want to sit next to a women/man/whatever, tell them to either sit down or get off the plane. They knew when they bought the ticket there could be *shudder* women on the plane.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 4:24 am

Airlines are always going to be uncomfortable unless the passenger can pay for good (or multiple) seats. People need to be prepared to deal with this. The last time I was on an airplane journey, the couple seated next to me sympathetically gave me their drink tickets because of their screaming baby and constant arguing.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 4:34 am

Well, that's patriarchal religion for you.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 7:34 am

Quote:
Patience is now wearing thin and a petition has been published on change.org accusing El Al of allowing female passengers to be intimidated into changing seats.
“One person's religious rights do not trump another person's civil rights,” the petition says.

Telegraph

I find it really creepy that a guy would be concerned that being physically near me is sexually threatening. Talk about special snowflakes.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 7:35 pm

Obviously, Orthodox Judaism is much less westernized than the rest of Judaism, and in fact clings to their ancestral roots in the Middle East.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 1:12 pm

huzzah - i think i finally know enough hebrew to understand the text in the bus picture in OP's second link -

כי ירושלים היא של כולנו - "because jerusalem is for all of us"

[moved from news to PPR]

"orthodox" is like an umbrella term in that it covers various sects. some being a part of one other sect. "mizrahi" meaning east, from מזרח.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 2:09 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
huzzah - i think i finally know enough hebrew to understand the text in the bus picture in OP's second link -

כי ירושלים היא של כולנו - "because jerusalem is for all of us"

[moved from news to PPR]

"orthodox" is like an umbrella term in that it covers various sects. some being a part of one other sect. "mizrahi" meaning east, from מזרח.

I guess it is Heredim who are causing the trouble on planes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 2:16 pm

If a guy finds me threatening in the sexual sense then he REALLY needs to seek professional help.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 2:19 pm

There's modern orthodox and there's ultraorthodox.

People who are modern orthodox are very observant Jews--but they dress "modern" yet conservative. Men wear yamulkes. They mix with others.

Ultraorthodox people tend to dress with black jackets, hats, and accessories based in their sect. They don't mix as much with others.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 3:07 pm

From a perspective of Human Freedoms, more fully expressed, as GOD given Nature;

the U.S. and other tRuly freeR countries are countries that are the metaphor 'Israel',

as providing a place for truly FREEr children of THAT ALL Natural FREE God of Nature..:)

Slavery; per the lack of freedom, comes in all colors, many national origins, and

Religions;

AND, the full spectrum

of gender and sexuality as well...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 4:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's modern orthodox and there's ultraorthodox.

There is actually orthodox, modern orthodox, ultra-orthodox. "Conservative" Judaism is different sect. The conservative doesn't refer to politics, it means they are reversionist Judaism, based their impression of what early Judaism was about. In some respect pre-Talmudic, or stripped down.

Most Jews are Orthodox in the sense that Reform Jews are a small movement from Europe and America. Orthodox doesn't necessarily mean they aren't liberal in practice, it is more the tradition they come from.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 7:40 pm

androbot01 wrote:

So Heredim (ultra orthodox Jews) are delaying flights by refusing to sit next to women. Apparently we are so sexually tempting they cannot be close to us.

I would find such a request to be against my human rights. If someone's perfume is making you nauseous that's one thing, but to not want to sit next to someone because of who they are is discriminatory.

I do not think that it's necessarily a great thing that such a minute accommodation to individual values has become a thing which is intolerable.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 6:33 am

Nebogipfel wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

I do not think that it's necessarily a great thing that such a minute accommodation to individual values has become a thing which is intolerable.

Wanting people to accommodate those who find their presence unacceptable is not minute. Jewish people must be familiar with where this kind of behaviour leads.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:30 am

androbot01 wrote:
Nebogipfel wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

Wanting people to accommodate those who find their presence unacceptable is not minute. Jewish people must be familiar with where this kind of behaviour leads.

What I am uncomfortable with, is the idea of subjecting someones request for a seat change to a moral litmus test. This sort of thing introduces a new authority to a situation, unaccountable PC police organising campaigns over ideological differences, and it gives them veto power over our choices, adding more processes that keep us from deviating from someone else's script for us.

None of this is to say, necessarily, that the PC poIice aren't doing what is necessary in this case.

Last edited by Nebogipfel on 24 Apr 2015, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 8:31 am

Not wanting to be physically near somebody because of who they are is not acceptable. The request fails the test. It is unreasonable.

I gave the example of requesting a seat change because someone's cologne makes you nauseous. This request would be acceptable because you are physically effected and being made ill. Is the request not to sit next to a woman made because the man is effected sexually by the near proximity to a woman? If so, it is the man who has a problem and he needs to deal with it.