Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

halleluhwah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2015, 4:21 pm

I realize it's a pretty standard autistic trait to speak in a flat, monotone voice much of the time. However, I think that sometimes I speak in an especially monotone voice, especially when nobody else is around, and the words take on a kinda robotic, percussive quality like a sort of rhythm that I repeat. I also do it a lot in my head, just repeating the same sentence over and over, in that kind of percussive way. Does anybody else do anything like that? :/

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2015, 5:22 pm

In my experience, it is not uncommon; especially in males. I myself am not particularly monotone. My emotions are often apparent in my tone, way of talking, etc... I wonder if there is any cognitive or functionality aspect to it? I am very aware of and comfortable with my emotions so that it shows. Are there any discernible differences in thoughts/feelings/etc... when you are more or less monotone?

halleluhwah
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2015, 5:31 pm

MrBear wrote:
In my experience, it is not uncommon; especially in males. I myself am not particularly monotone. My emotions are often apparent in my tone, way of talking, etc... I wonder if there is any cognitive or functionality aspect to it? I am very aware of and comfortable with my emotions so that it shows. Are there any discernible differences in thoughts/feelings/etc... when you are more or less monotone?

When I'm very monotone, it usually means a) I'm around people I've never met or in an uncomfortable situation; b) I feel particularly sensitive or overstimulated or anxious; c) I'm tired, just woke up, or am otherwise indisposed

When I'm with friends I feel very comfortable with, I am much less monotone, and even more stereotypically gay/feminine (I have had a slight lisp for as long as I can remember)

When I am being extremely monotonous and doing the percussive thing, I think it's a way of stimming probably, because I feel the vibrations in my chest and throat.

MrBear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm

That makes a lot of sense. My experience with others seems to indicate vocal status is often connected to situation/feelings/etc... I don't get monotone when stressed, uncomfortable, and so on but instead sound distracted, sad, or irritated.