Is suicide common in people with aspergers?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2015, 10:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hoosick Falls is on NY State Route 9 (which turns into Route 7 in Vermont). It's not far from Bennington, VT and somewhat close to Saratoga Springs.

Ah okay I sort of know that area. I've only been around Albany but that was just passing through (I live near Syracuse).

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 10:48 am

I've been on WP for years and, yes, suicidal ideation is common here. Most of us are outcasts. We were bullied and made to feel like s**t. I always thought I wouldn't even make it to 18. At 30 I finally thought I'd went as far as I could go and attempted suicide. It landed me in a state psych hospital for two months. Yeah, I read about suicide a lot on this site. Sadly, it must be common with this population. I suppose all we can do is draw strength from each other because we're really all we have.

JacobV
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2016, 5:44 am

narcolepticpenguin wrote:
Omg thoughts of suicide I do not go a single day without being like omg,this sucks so bad lets all just kill ourselfs wooooo! like seriouslyIits messed up.im right there with you my parents use to beat me with furniture,and bricks,one time my mother strangled me with a chord to make me stop crying(sweet memories)you need to find your nich in life,for me it was writing,I discovered the barrier of paper to people was my first step to stepping up in life.find out what interests you as a person and go with it,even if its something like earth worms,or scary stuff,making music,or working in a box factory idk.your life is just as important and meaningful as anyone elses,my high school one kid use to touch my man chest and scream titties,so I lifed weights and one day punched him,got suspended then wrote the newspaper about how my school was allowing sexual harasment. we all tend to get bullied,some more than others,what I find most important is you really have to look at yourself and ask what about me makes me proud? even if every day people talk down to you think,what makes me awesome? sounds like you are quite confident about your inteligence?well what is it that you like to focus your inteligence on? and go with it like a comet,dont let anything stop you from igniting that passion,people only bring you down when theythemselfs are feeling down,buddah said you cannot truly love unless you first love yourself,food for thought

Now that was seriously ballsy. I used to be tormented over my man-boobs in college too. working out has helped things

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 6:15 pm

When I was a child & a teenager, I didn't think about suicide, I didn't know I had Asperger until later in life. In my 20s, I started having a little depression & once I had bad insomnia, I was talking sleeping pills, I remember I couldn't take it anymore, I wanted to kill myself. I wanted to kill myself more after my mom died.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2016, 7:35 pm

Anything that causes marginalization can trigger suicidal thinking and actions. But we need to be strong inside ourselves and develop a sense of self worth regardless of ow people treat us or how they judge us.

Do not allow yourself EVER to feel or be devalued by others. You have a right to be alive and you can't get along or be accepted by society simply live life for yourself.

JacobV
Toucan
Toucan

26 Nov 2016, 10:24 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
When I was a child & a teenager, I didn't think about suicide, I didn't know I had Asperger until later in life. In my 20s, I started having a little depression & once I had bad insomnia, I was talking sleeping pills, I remember I couldn't take it anymore, I wanted to kill myself. I wanted to kill myself more after my mom died.

Lucky you. I was spared the knowledge of aspergers until just a few years ago. I'm in my 30's.

I felt isolated and depressed since my teens but when my mom died when i was in my 20's it just became.. the dark ages for me.

Now it's just about living... not even surviving or thinking about how long... but just enjoying each day. what do you do to help you cope?

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Nov 2016, 6:15 pm

I have HFA and I think about suicide passively on a daily basis; I don't think we feel as 'different' as Aspies, but I do still get painful moments of self-awareness, to which I react to with suicidal preoccupation. Acting in with substance abuse, and the internet in general has helped ward off these feelings. There have been a few occasions in the past where I have nearly off myself for good, and the only thing that stopped me from doing that was drinking myself into a stupor in some fit of self-hatred. Alcohol has been a cursed gift for me.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2016, 6:22 pm

I would guess so.
With not fitting in, bullying due to looks, bullying for being different or acting different to neurotypicals or not understanding neurotypicals. Anxiety and other mental health problems.
Problems with employment, problems with relationships, isolation and loneliness.

But you know.

What the world sees as our weaknesses
we should try and turn around to make our strengths
or at the very least identify our weaknesses and work on these.

Also, always remember their is always a doctor to speak to who can prescribe some med to sort at least some of our problems out.

I think that as Autism knowledge gets better over the years, problems areas will be identified and people will be given help in the areas that they have problems with.

So, all is not lost. Think of your dreams and work towards them regardless of what anyone else says.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2016, 3:35 pm

JacobV wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

Lucky you. I was spared the knowledge of aspergers until just a few years ago. I'm in my 30's.

I felt isolated and depressed since my teens but when my mom died when i was in my 20's it just became.. the dark ages for me.

Now it's just about living... not even surviving or thinking about how long... but just enjoying each day. what do you do to help you cope?

My mom was my biggest supporter, she let me stay at her house when I was in my 20s, I moved out when I was 37, I wasn't mentally ready to move out, I depended on her sooooo much, I wish I was stronger back then do to alot for myself so I could be prepared for living on my own. After I moved out, my mom was paying for my rent & bills, she did alot more too. When she died, I died too, it became the very dark ages for me too, I stopped caring for myself, I didn't want to go grocery shopping, but I did it anyway, I walk to the grocery store & then walk back home, I started to cry. I moved back in my mom's house, my sister & her son were living there, I wanted to move, I wanted to be closer to my mom. My sister saw the worst of me, I was soooo angry, I hated life, I hated God for taking my mom away, I felt dead inside me, I kept daydreaming about dying, I had a pool, I wanted to go outside & drown. My mom been gone for over 3 years, I'm living on my own again with a cat. I'm struggling to live on my own again, it's difficult living on my own this time, cuz my mom not here to help me. I'm slowly getting better in life now, my mom's spirit is helping me move on. I just take one day at a time.

Randomguy2003
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2023, 2:27 am

I’ve never really been a suicidal person, but this semester at school awakened those feelings inside me. I felt like my life would never get better, no matter how hard I tried. I’ve always felt like I had to be this “perfect” person, and when I don’t meet those expectations, I feel sad. This year, those feelings made me feel like I didn’t want to go on with my life anymore.

My parents are divorced, I feel like I have to take sides all the time, my younger brother has a more successful life than me, I have a strained relationship with my mom, I struggle a bit in school, I have no social life and I’ve never had a proper girlfriend.

Sometimes, I can’t take it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 7:17 am

I was suicidal at the age of 15. I didn't feel that I had much of a future at that age. I felt that I was doomed to a life of nothing. I thought a hippie was the only thing I could grow up to be.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 7:27 am

I'm okay, probably because I live an okay life. The fact is that I can't get any enjoyment out of it, and I might consider leaving the world if something happened to make me angry, just like I left the crowd.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 8:27 am

It is simply common in people who live in a life they don't want, playing a role they don't like, not having the things that they want or even need.

In which, that, when life is no longer a gift and becomes a burden -- with nothing to look forward to except the labor of surviving and coping.

In case of autistics, it's this large mismatch between the world created and catered towards NTs who happened to succeed at the thresholds of the perpetuated selection biases, and the needs and wants of an autistic overall in which most autistics do not pass the selection and therefore left unfulfilled.

Personally, my biggest problem is my body. Having sneezing fits. Having hormonal imbalances. And so forth and so forth.
I believe this is my first obstacle in solving my second problem because the sensations distracts me, it steals my internal resources;

The second is this programming and emotionality that I'm sure I don't want anything to do with it -- and it is also a problem for anyone ever involved if it gave a fit.
And it's been influencing every decision I made, it's limiting my potential and I don't like it.
I likely need professional help with this, however;

My third biggest problem I have is just the socioeconomic status that I ended up with.
So, I get limited accessibility unless I get lucky. I had to make do with this, however; if I solve my second problem, this third problem will be much easier or even possible to overcome.

But in truth, what kept me from ever taking my own life is this... This... 'Duty to life' -- to see all of this through.
However, this aspect borders to spirituality and religion.

While at it, why not just... 'Try' and solve my problems, do something if it's feasible -- than just 'watching' this bore of a life.
Or, figure out how to be some optimistic nihilist; but I'm not sure if that path is for me at this stage.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.