Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 4:59 pm

Inventor, that chap sounds like he was Aleister Crowley Jr. ! !

As far as noticing things, usually it's nature. I see birds competing for space while waiting for a red light, or while outside chatting with a neighbor, or I'll notice bunnies hiding in plain sight.
When I was at Uni, a century ago, I took some psychological test that had this question on it. Apparently, at least back then, it was thought odd if you noticed things 'too much'.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Mar 2007, 5:39 pm

I seldom notice what people are wearing or doing, but I can pick out the
subtlest differences in the way a machine sounds that sometimes
indicate a breakdown or some other problem is about to happen.
And I can do this in a noise saturated factory.

TG
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2007, 11:01 pm

I notice sounds that many don't, like buzzing lights - they drive me nuts! And I notice machinery noises, too, but I work with machinery and it's my job to notice these sounds.

A friend told me a story the other day which shocked me:
She was driving down the road with her son and the boy said "We're going to hit a bump, now!" and they hit a bump.
My friend was amazed and asked her son how he knew that.
He replied "Because the car in front of us just hit it."
She told me that she never would have thought to notice something like that.
Are you kidding me!! !???
(She's been driving for 15 years 8O )

300series
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 10:33 am

My attention to detail is very acute. I have always been observant & noticed little things that other people never notice, for example, subtle noises in my background, or differences in ways things are written. Sometimes I pay attention to what people are wearing & how it was different that how it was the last time I saw them. Another thing I notice is the position of some object or how it has moved when I see it again.

I am also concerned with accuracy. For example, I do not like to make mistakes. I always think about & plan how I will do something before I do it. I always speak using words which make sense to me. When I write or type something, I try not to make mistakes, and I always proofread everything I write.

I suppose it could be an Asperger's syndrome trait because I have heard about other people who are this way.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 11:10 am

I noticed right away that this is a 10 year old thread. #irony

IgA
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

Why do the commenters think that being observant is a superpower? Most good scientists are great observers - not only that, but are also great at hypothesizing & extrapolation. This isn't an Aspy thing. If it were, then all great scientists were/are Aspies. I have to take tight control of my focus or else my mind will spiral into chaos. The amount of information that floods my brain can be too much for me to process at once, so learned to put a "dimmer" on what I pay attention to or how long I focus on 1 thing. There have been times I just start screaming to make the information flood stop. Maybe some people have to fog up their focus in order to feel emotionally stable -- that could be why they didn't notice this or that you noticed. It isn't their failure, as some have implied. The amount of hubris in these older posts is humorous.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 11:42 am

Yeah, I'll notice a tiny bug in detail crawling on the sidewalk and then step right out into moving traffic. If that's not a superpower, I don't know what is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

The bugs never get hit, though.....

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 2:43 pm

I thought it was the other way around for me. When I'm out somewhere busy I focus too much on other people and dodging them and hearing nearby conversations, while others seem to be drawn to shop window displays and stuff in shops, etc. Often when I'm walking along with an NT they talk away to me then notice something in a window or something and then stop to look at it. Usually friends passively tell me off for not blocking the crowds out and they try to get me to become more observant of the environment instead.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 10:06 pm

usually i fail to notice things i should have notice.

usually i notice things i should have filtered out.

things like changes in painted doors. usually do not notice.