Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 2:14 pm

Police Arrest Teen Accused of Slashing Girl's Throat
March 21st, 2007 @ 5:00pm
Read it in Spanish

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1013704

Sam Penrod Reporting

This afternoon brings us new information about a brutal attack yesterday in Utah County. The victim is a 13-year-old girl, and her attacker is just 14. Police say the 14-year-old boy tried to rape her, and then used a knife and cut her throat, just missing a major artery. She ran away and got help.

Police had thought the suspect was 16 years old, but now they believe he is just 14. He's apparently from Mexico and has only been in the area a couple of weeks and is alone, with no family here. But now he is in a juvenile jail, facing attempted murder charges.

It was in this orchard in Genola that the 13-year-old victim was attacked by the teenage boy. "The girl was found after she ran through an orchard and came upon two gentlemen who were burning weeds in a ditch," Sgt. Johnson of the Santaquin-Genola Police Department told us. "They scooped her up and hauled her to the hospital."

The girl's wounds were so severe she had to undergo surgery but was released from the hospital this morning. "The victim is out of the hospital, and she is recovering," Johnson said, "and the suspect has been apprehended and is in state custody."

The attack prompted a massive manhunt for the suspect that went on for more than three hours. Police had little to go on until the attack was reported last night on the news. "Somebody in Genola happened to watch it and thought it sounded like an individual who had applied for a job out there with the local fruit growers, and he called his boss who, in turn, called the detective," Johnson said, "and they followed that lead and made an arrest."

The charges against the attacker could include attempted homicide with a weapon, aggravated assault and attempted sexual assault and possession of a forged government document.

Police believe the suspect had a fake green card and was looking for a job in an area where many migrant workers are employed by local fruit growers. The victim is also from Mexico and had been in Utah since December. "Her uncle worked for the orchards," he said, "and this gentlemen was possibly looking for work himself."

Police have not found the knife used in the attack.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Mar 2007, 4:07 pm

Scary.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 4:29 pm

This sort of things happens all the time, nothing can really be done about it.

Faceless
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2007, 10:38 pm

Terrible. Can't you get some pleasure nowadays other than by rape? These people are too damn lazy, and this leads to violence and other people are affected.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 10:41 pm

Faceless wrote:
Terrible. Can't you get some pleasure nowadays other than by rape? These people are too damn lazy, and this leads to violence and other people are affected.

And I don't get why a 14-year-old felt the need to rape someone. At that age, they should be figuring out what the hell to do and how to do it (sexually, that is) - **IF** they've even had their first wet dream. It seems highly unusual and very troubling to know that kids this young are raping.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2007, 11:58 pm

Fourteen's unfortunately not really that young. In a school district not too far from me just a week or two ago, two sixth graders were having sex in their classroom while having other students be look-outs for the teacher. I'll post an article if anyone wants to see it.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 9:48 am

Lightning88 wrote:
Fourteen's unfortunately not really that young. In a school district not too far from me just a week or two ago, two sixth graders were having sex in their classroom while having other students be look-outs for the teacher. I'll post an article if anyone wants to see it.

I don't doubt that, unfortunately. But, a couple of kids having sex would fall under the category of precocius sexual exploration for me. The circumstances of that story seem troubling, but not as troubling as an attempted rape. I tend to think - and I think most people do - that rape is a violent act that's about POWER rather than SEX. If he really just wanted to have sex, I don't think his age would have stopped him.