Online relationships for aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2015, 1:49 pm

Does anyone here have any experiences with long distance/online relationships?

I have a fairly newly formed relationship with a girl I met here at WP(hi there sweetie!), we both really like each other a lot. We both have verified the other is in fact the same person the say they are. We text each other every day, and share photos, and even video chatted. I think we get along really well, and have pretty complementary personalities. We've even gotten to the point of telling each other we love each other!

The problem is for me is mainly my mom, and her parents. We are both college age, but we both are dependent and feel like teenagers, or at least I do. So I feel like I should be able to do whatever I want, but can't. My mom seems against me forming relationships online, and she doesn't really like me talking to people online so much ether I think. It makes sense, I was "catfished" once fairly recently, it wasn't a horrible case, but it caused a lot of friction between me and my family. I'm really afraid for my mom to find out I have formed another relationship, I don't want to ruin it, or get angry with me again. I do admit I have been a little weary of signs of my new gf messing with me, but I don't think I've seen any. I really think she is who she appears to be and that she is genuinely interested in me.

So, I guess I'd like to know if it seems like it would be a bad idea to go for a long time keeping this a secret from my mother? And if anyone reading this has any stories about LDRs?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 1:53 pm

You've met the love of your life on WP with 3 posts only?

Damn, I am so hopeless :lol:.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 1:58 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

We chatted on IRC for a while too. Yes, this is the guy I'm having an online relationship with. I didn't want to talk about it just yet, but I'm glad he did instead. Maybe having an online relationship is the only way to go for me.

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 1:58 pm

The majority of online/LDR relationships fall apart within a few months. I suspect that both of you are going to need help from your parents in order to really meet (if you want to meet that is). So there is probably nothing to be gained by keeping it a secret for longer than necessary. Your parents are just concerned for your safety and they will probably feel better about it if you can prove to them that your partner is really not lying about their identity.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 2:03 pm

Another issue is not just his mom, but also my mom and adopted father. I've been in trouble before with talking to people online and texting them, so I'm afraid they'll get angry. I really don't like their disapproval.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 2:07 pm

goofygoobers wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

We chatted on IRC for a while too. Yes, this is the guy I'm having an online relationship with. I didn't want to talk about it just yet, but I'm glad he did instead. Maybe having an online relationship is the only way to go for me.

Girl's complaining works again! :lol:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 2:32 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
goofygoobers wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Girl's complaining works again! :lol:

probably more just being a girl works again.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2015, 5:05 pm

goofygoobers wrote:
Another issue is not just his mom, but also my mom and adopted father. I've been in trouble before with talking to people online and texting them, so I'm afraid they'll get angry. I really don't like their disapproval.

I feel basically the same, it would be a lot harder with our parents disapproval I think. It would feel impossible to even bring it up for me, and to have severe disapproval and having your parent(s) getting mad at us could make things so hard for us.

MollyTroubletail wrote:
The majority of online/LDR relationships fall apart within a few months. I suspect that both of you are going to need help from your parents in order to really meet (if you want to meet that is). So there is probably nothing to be gained by keeping it a secret for longer than necessary. Your parents are just concerned for your safety and they will probably feel better about it if you can prove to them that your partner is really not lying about their identity.

Well there are lots of people who seem to make it in an LDR. It's not a for sure thing though, but neither is an IRL relationship, in fact I think I saw some statistics comparing the two don't show that much of a difference. I think you're right about having good proof about who the other says they are before telling your parents. Just, after what happened before with my mom which seemed out of character for how she reacted, I really don't know what to expect from telling her.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 6:20 pm

I see online/ldr as an acceptable way to meet and get to know someone, but IMO the ultimate objective should be to meet in person and see if you click irl & want to be together.

Actually being with someone irl & having a sexual* component to your relationship makes the whole relationship "real" to me vs. just a.. penpal?

*even if it isn't sex due to lack of desire or religious reasons etc, but a shared hug/kiss/holding hands/being close etc.

As for telling your parents, do so if you want to, don't if you don't. As grown adults that's up to you. Weigh your pros and cons and reasons and make some decisions for yourselves.

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2015, 9:19 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I see online/ldr as an acceptable way to meet and get to know someone, but IMO the ultimate objective should be to meet in person and see if you click irl & want to be together.

Actually being with someone irl & having a sexual* component to your relationship makes the whole relationship "real" to me vs. just a.. penpal?

*even if it isn't sex due to lack of desire or religious reasons etc, but a shared hug/kiss/holding hands/being close etc.

As for telling your parents, do so if you want to, don't if you don't. As grown adults that's up to you. Weigh your pros and cons and reasons and make some decisions for yourselves.

Yeah, I feel like I should have the right to do as I see fit being 20. I also plan on making money with some sort of online businesses or just getting a job when I'm through school, but that's down the road. I would really like to be able to get myself over to her with my own money if I could. So yes, I do really want to physically be with her.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 9:27 pm

You can keep contact but society is structured in such a manner that you're better off achieving your own complete independence from parents/family before getting into any kinds of "serious" relationships. Ultimately... International-Bankers (like The Federal-Reserve & IMF) are the huge problems in society which forces multitudes into poverty. Once you learn more about life your interests change and the "fight" against "corruption" seriously starts to get real...

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 11:09 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
You can keep contact but society is structured in such a manner that you're better off achieving your own complete independence from parents/family before getting into any kinds of "serious" relationships. Ultimately... International-Bankers (like The Federal-Reserve & IMF) are the huge problems in society which forces multitudes into poverty. Once you learn more about life your interests change and the "fight" against "corruption" seriously starts to get real...

I'm really interested in what you're trying to get across here. I feel that while I could become financially independent in the relatively near future, becoming emotionally independent from family will not happen anytime soon, and that I need to have a "nest" of some sort around me while I explore peer relationships at the beginning. I do feel that society is not structured in a way that helps "adolescent type" of relationships form among adults.

I totally don't get with the Federal Reserve and IMF have to do with relationships and when you should or shouldn't have them, though. It would seem that trying to draw a connection between those is an exercise in wild speculation at best, and lunacy at worst.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 1:00 am

Whether you "should" something or not is subjective. With age comes wisdom (unless you haven't learned anything).

biostructure wrote:
when you should or shouldn't

Learning is an important process towards gaining wisdom. Wise decisions don't come from being indoctrinated.

You have to question everything. All relationships are also "karmic" in nature.
Nothing happens by accident (even if it looks/appears to be one).

Your thoughts have a lot to do with your emotions. Control your thoughts to better-control your emotions. Not all thoughts are that of your own. You can speak (think) to your thoughts & ask said thoughts to think of scenarios that would bring you happiness instead of simply accepting the pessimism of said thoughts.

The pessimist sees the difficulty in very opportunity.
The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Dreamsphere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Apr 2015, 1:25 am

AsahiPto17 wrote:
Does anyone here have any experiences with long distance/online relationships?

I have a fairly newly formed relationship with a girl I met here at WP(hi there sweetie!), we both really like each other a lot. We both have verified the other is in fact the same person the say they are. We text each other every day, and share photos, and even video chatted. I think we get along really well, and have pretty complementary personalities. We've even gotten to the point of telling each other we love each other!

The problem is for me is mainly my mom, and her parents. We are both college age, but we both are dependent and feel like teenagers, or at least I do. So I feel like I should be able to do whatever I want, but can't. My mom seems against me forming relationships online, and she doesn't really like me talking to people online so much ether I think. It makes sense, I was "catfished" once fairly recently, it wasn't a horrible case, but it caused a lot of friction between me and my family. I'm really afraid for my mom to find out I have formed another relationship, I don't want to ruin it, or get angry with me again. I do admit I have been a little weary of signs of my new gf messing with me, but I don't think I've seen any. I really think she is who she appears to be and that she is genuinely interested in me.

So, I guess I'd like to know if it seems like it would be a bad idea to go for a long time keeping this a secret from my mother? And if anyone reading this has any stories about LDRs?
You can't keep it a secret forever unless you are fine with a relationship that will never go beyond texting or chatting over a phone or computer lol.

I think what i would do in this situation is tell my mom about her and have her start talking to her over texts for awhile, let her get to know her some and she will be okay with it and possibly even try to help you with meeting her irl.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Apr 2015, 1:34 am

The 3 relationships I had were online LDRs. The 2nd & current I met here on WP. Part of the reason things fell apart with the 2nd were because of issues with her parents. Our mom's talked on the phone before we actually met & my parents drove me there to meet her. Part of the reason things fell apart is because she was having issues with her parents. She was in college & had her own apartment but her parents are very conservative & wanted me to stay with them in their place whenever I came up to visit until we would get married after she was out of college & we were supporting ourselves financially. I was still willing to try to make it work but she wasn't.
With my current Cass traveled by bus with her older sister who wanted to tour New Orleans which was about an hour from where we lived so her sister stayed in a hotel in NO & Cass stayed with me & my parents. Cass was staying in an apartment & had Section 8 housing. We were also about the same age whereas with Megz was about 9 years younger than me but the age difference wasn't the problem with her parents sense we had so much in common.

My advice is to wait till things get alittle bit serious & then try to get your parents on board by having them talk on the phone with each other or maybe video-chat with everyone involved.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2015, 2:29 pm

Thank you all for the input, it's really nice hearing people's opinions on this! Having people talk about it like it's realistic is quite a relief too! I think Dreamsphere and nick007 are right about trying to introduce each other to our parents. Also, I think waiting a little longer is a good idea so that we can both be more confidant about things being serious between us to our parents.