NPR Young adults with autism more likely to be unemployed

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 8:25 pm

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015/04 ... d-isolated
The economic shift in the United States to more service sector jobs hasn't helped, he notes. "Starting in the early to mid-1970s, there's been a historic shift in the balance of jobs in the manufacturing sector to the service sector."

Maybe that's the issue instead of shoving those whom have ASD into the default remedial job in the manufacturing/service sector look at what the individual can actually offer! Many on the spectrum (I my self included) have special interests some even to the point of savant knowledge and if those interests are focused on in a constructive and productive manner which can be applied to real world job market then perhaps they would see that mfg and service jobs are not best suited for the type of knowledge the individual may have.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2015, 11:33 pm

No doubt about that!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2015, 1:21 am

Do bears crap in the woods? Is the pope Catholic?

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2015, 9:30 am

"With Autism"
"than people with other disabilities"
"We don't really know at this point why that's happening," says Paul Shattuck an associate professor at Drexel University's School
"he says, is the fact that many people with autism also have an intellectual disability"
"Most autism research is focused on children with autism or on preventing the development of autism"

It makes me sick that someone of scholarly standing, is willing to ignore the bleeding obvious issues of discrimination and prejudice in the workplace, then reach as hard as possible for a way to white wash it. Because clearly, it's all our fault.

Gee golly gosh, you just don't know why that's happening. Hmm, I wonder why... Might it have something to do with all the bigots constantly spreading around stigma, likening our people to a disease or defect. Perhaps it's those monstrous enough to dehumanize AS people, by separating the person from AS. Or, it could be that we have people that seem credible, passing off vicious rumour as if it were fact.

You even see it repeated in the article, "many people "with autism" also have an intellectual disability" despite ID being prevalent within only a small slither of a fraction of the AS community. And no one piped up about it, no one questioned it, nothing. It's Wakefield all over again, except they all swallow it, and he keeps his licence -- Appalling.